Author Topic: Oh, the agony! (disabling the bike)  (Read 4901 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Oh, the agony! (disabling the bike)
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »
So, I'm finally about ready to get all of those mods I've been wanting for years...

The big one is the carbs, of course (overflow tubes, jets, carb service).  This means taking the carbs off the bike, and shipping them to that lawnmower mekanik dude that lives by the alligators, which means I can't ride the bike until they come back...

Then there are the cams and that gear casing thingie.  Might as well send those along with the carbs, right?

This could mean weeks of downtime for my Connie!  WEEEEEEEKS!!!!

Yeah, sure, it'll be a better bike for it once everything is reinstalled, but what if I needs to ride in the meantime?!?  The bike is that happy place I go to when I need to relax!!!
 8)

I did pick up a (new to me) used truck, and while it is quite nice, it just isn't the same...

Can you tell I am suffering from Connie Addiction?  And our support group is too busy riding to meet!

Apologies for this moment of weakness...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Mettler1

Re: Oh, the agony! (disabling the bike)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »
  Let's see. You get the cams from What's His Name. Then you send the carbs to that same guy via USPS 2 day service. Then he does his magic and usually get them back in about 7 days. While your waiting you install the cams. Down time a week and a half maybe. See,easy!!  ;D
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:34:32 AM »
Dats nuttin. My down time usually lasts 3 months. I deal with it my addiction by fixin and improvin. This time it's front end service and new tire. The best thing is I'm not in a hurry.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:48:43 AM »
If you move north, the winter will confer lot's of 'project time' on you. Mine is usually off the road from end Nov. to early April.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:47:05 AM »
hehe - not as long as you think... I'm stocked and ready to ship cams and 7th gear units, and I turn carbs around in 3 days... so the question is are YOU quick enough  ;D  Steve

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »
PM "Steve in Sunny Fla" and all your woes are over
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:10:20 PM »
And our support group is too busy riding to meet![/i]

I just looked out the window, it's snowing again in northern UT, you've got some time now.

charlie mac

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 06:15:54 PM »
I just looked out the window, it's snowing again in northern UT, you've got some time now.

charlie mac

Yeah, but my fingers don't operate tools well below 50 degrees.  Plus my blood pressure goes up in inverse proportion to the temperatures (due to anger issues from dropping tools and such...).
 ;D

Seriously, though, I am looking forward to getting this done soon.  I just haven't decided yet if I'm sending Steve the parts or the whole bike... this makes a good excuse for a road trip!

And I just noticed that Murphs has the peg bracket for the right side of my bike.  I could attempt to have someone weld mine, which broke in two places, but I'm liking the peace of mind thing I'd get with a new part.  I'm debating the kneesavers too!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 07:39:10 PM »
Yeah, but my fingers don't operate tools well below 50 degrees.  Plus my blood pressure goes up in inverse proportion to the temperatures (due to anger issues from dropping tools and such...).
 ;D

You and me both......and the wife said I wasn't allowed to bring it in the house.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »
.  I'm debating the kneesavers too!
   I have the knee savers. You wouldn't think they would be that good but they are. Really easy on the knees on those long rides.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »
Wow. So you're getting cams and the 7th gear? You'll love the difference they make - like a whole new bike. Now I'm waiting for Steve to finish the handlebar vibe mount. That should make it about perfect. (for me anyway)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)