Author Topic: What'd you do for your Connie today?  (Read 113041 times)

Offline throb

Re: What'd you do for your Connie today?
« Reply #500 on: November 28, 2012, 03:57:38 AM »
Sayyyy, that looks very familiar!  I was wrong in my post about the paint being from Colorite; it's from Dupli-color.  They have a burnt orange metallic that sounded interesting, but I couldn't really find enough pictures of that to see if I would like it or not, so went with their Deep Blue metallic.  Good luck with your paint job, whatever color you decide to go with! :thumbs:
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #501 on: November 28, 2012, 06:36:41 AM »
That's the same paint I'm using.  I painted mine in the back yard.  I was going to use the lime-green but just couldn't do it.  So I used black and clear.  Pretty easy stuff to work with and dries quick.  Now I need to buff and polish it all.  I got some 2000 grit and a few different compounds.  Any suggestions or leasons learned from this paint?  I'l let it dry a few more weeks.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline throb

« Reply #502 on: November 28, 2012, 06:54:56 PM »
It was pretty straight forward as far as anything else I've watched being done.  I used 2000 grit as well.  Just keep it well lubricated with lots of water (with a few drops of dish washing detergent), light pressure and stay away from edges; you will cut through the clear on an edge faster than you can bat an eye.  Once you have the clear nice and smooth (if you look across it in the light, you can easily see any orange peel effect), it's time for rubbing compound followed by finishing compound.  The difference is in the cutting ability.  Rubbing compound will cut faster since it's "grittier".  I used a double action orbital (Porter-Cable) polisher to do the pieces after rubbing them out with the 2000 grit paper. It's a lot easier to go easy and have to sand a little more than it is to have to re-shoot the clear.  Take your time and I'm sure you will be pleased!   ;D   :chugbeer:
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #503 on: November 29, 2012, 07:49:23 AM »
That's funny about the "lots of water and soap".  I wet sanded the large side panels standing in the shower in a bathing suit with them.  Everything else was in the kitchen sink with a towel as a pad.  I haven't tackled the main fairing, it needs repairs.  I just have a large scale 10-12" rotary buffer so I guess I will do it by hand - we'll see.  Drill pads are about useless.  Maybe Santa will bring me a smaller scale one.  Everything pretty much came out like glass except for the rearward portion of the front fender, it has orange peel.  I mat sand it and just clear coat that section so the fork tube and brace will obscure the finish line.

I'm still debating the mirrors.  They are a little faded so I need to decide matte or gloss black.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #504 on: November 29, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »
Harbor Fereight has a pneumatic orbital (Jitterbug) sander that works well with water.
Think it cost about $35.00....

I used one when I did my bike.
Had a Cookie sheet with 1/4 of water in it to soak the paper. Used a water hose to trickle water onto the parts I was sanding.

If you do the mirrors, definitely use gloss black. They can be disassembled to make it easier to sand/paint them...

ride safe, Ted

Offline throb

« Reply #505 on: November 30, 2012, 05:04:50 AM »
I wet sanded the large side panels standing in the shower in a bathing suit with them.

Now that's getting intimate with your bike!  Does your wife know??   :thumbs:

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #506 on: November 30, 2012, 06:23:57 AM »
Yeah she came in to check on me.  Just laughed, shook her head, and left.

Offline julianop

« Reply #507 on: November 30, 2012, 07:27:57 AM »
Yeah she came in to check on me.  Just laughed, shook her head, and left.

Kinda like the question "why does a dog hang it's head outside the open window of a moving car?" (which translates to why do men ride motorcycles when a car would get you there more comfortably) to which the answer is "If you have to ask the question, you wouldn't understand the answer".
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline throb

« Reply #508 on: December 01, 2012, 06:41:56 PM »
OMG, you just never quit, do you!!??  NOW I have to make these.....(excellent idea by the way!  :chugbeer:)

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #509 on: December 02, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »
I got to meet, eat and ride with a couple of nice guys starting at The Grist Mill in East Troy, WI.  And after we ate, we rode around the area until I had to split off at Eagle.  I was having my kids over for my birthday/Packer party.

Nice riding weather today for December in WI.  55F !

And the Packers won!  and the Bears lost, and the Lions lost, and, of course, the Vikings lost.  So a good day all around.

http://youtu.be/fDbCe5ylC9I
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)