Author Topic: My C10's Resurrection  (Read 32250 times)

Offline IraB

Re: My C10's Resurrection
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »

Same here.  Always bent over backwards to do the highest quality work possible. 
Someone I consider my mentor for how to do business taught me that, " when dealing with people honesty is not the best policy, it is the ONLY policy."

Should probably make clear that I am not casting aspersions on mechanics in general but there sure are some bad apples out there.

Am new to this engine and did my first valve adjustment by the book (Clymer manual).  Will try some of the other methods later.
Also considering a thou or so more clearance than Clymer lists  ( .005 intake-.007 exhaust ) Noticed in the forums that most seem to do that.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
Am new to this engine and did my first valve adjustment by the book (Clymer manual).  Will try some of the other methods later.
Also considering a thou or so more clearance than Clymer lists  ( .005 intake-.007 exhaust ) Noticed in the forums that most seem to do that.

Yes most folks use the wider end of the spec at .007" for the intake and .009" for the exhaust.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline IraB

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2013, 09:20:42 PM »
What advantage/s are there other than longer interval between adjustments?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2013, 05:56:41 AM »
What advantage/s are there other than longer interval between adjustments?

"Tappy Valves Are Happy Valves"

A too tight clearance may not allow the valve to fully close or stay seated long enough to transfer its heat into the head thus allowing it to overheat and face burn.

Tony P. Crochet

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2013, 07:54:38 AM »
"Tappy Valves Are Happy Valves"

+1  couldn't agree more
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline IraB

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2013, 08:06:28 AM »
I'm a mostly reformed air cooled VW Bug nut and the saying in that crowd is, " better to hear them chatter than to watch them splatter."  :D

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2013, 08:09:02 AM »
+1  couldn't agree more

Right now I'm listening to 208 sets of valves do their thing......
Tony P. Crochet

Offline IraB

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 08:19:48 AM »
Hey Metrick Metal,

Didn't mean to jump your thread.  Hows the project coming along?

Offline Alphonzo

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2013, 06:18:04 AM »
I have a question about the denso coil sticks.

The resistance of the stock coils is about 3 ohms.  It's hard telling what the impedance is - the impedance includes the inductive reactance.  For this to work, the resistance of the coil sticks should be six ohms, so that the ecu still sees a load of three ohms, overall.  There's no way to compute the real deal without knowing the inductance of the coils and the coil sticks but, again, the inductance of the coil sticks should be twice the inductance of the stock coil.

Cutting through the chase, maximum power transfer (between the ecu and the coils) occurs when the impedance of the load (the coils) equals the impedance of the source (the ecu).  And so, if these components are not properly matched, it would be very easy to drop too much power across the source (the ecu), causing it to overheat, and ruining it.

Since the inductive reactance varies with the rpm (2 pi x the frequency [rpm] x the inductance, in Henrys) here we have a circuit that is built to withstand a lot of mis-matching, in terms of power distribution.  But paralleling 2 coils across the outputs of the ecu (which, in essence, is a transistorized amplifier) - WOW!  Risky.

Have you done this before?  Did it actually work? 

I just want to let you know that there is a pretty good chance you will fry your ecu.

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2013, 06:29:48 AM »
I'm sure there are a bunch of us that got stick coils from T Cro. I used the same type he recommended and have had zero problems.

An excellent upgrade in my opinion.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2013, 07:26:29 AM »
I'm sure there are a bunch of us that got stick coils from T Cro. I used the same type he recommended and have had zero problems.

An excellent upgrade in my opinion.

Did somebody say Beetle Juice ???

Alphonzo,

It's good to see that your a thinking man, but in this case your over thunking it and getting it wrongish....

I've had a storage failure so I've lost some data otherwise I'd post exact figures and such.

First off for the most part the stick coils that we are using have a primary resistance generally no higher than 1.5 to 1.8 ohms and they are thusly series together so as to be roughly equal to the stock dual output coil that they are replacing which has a resistance value of something like 2.2 to 3.8 ohms.  The ignition system has no clue that there as been any change. The 2ndary resistance is also within spec too...

While I may not be the absolute first person to install stick coils on the Concours I am the person who introduced this upgrade in mass to this forum and on the COG forum too. Been selling these kits now for nearest to 4 or 5 years and have sold several hundred kits with just nary a complaint that could not be solved... The ZRX forums have been doing this for longer than we have and research has shown me that it was being done long before that so all in likely better than a decade of experience going on with these conversions.....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
   A few yrs ago I rode down to Tony's house to purchase his stick coils. He installed them for free while  I drank 2 of his Coronas.  ;D  I thought that was a pretty good deal!!

I also have his Heavy Duty shift linkage. Got rid of the whimpy Kaw linkage. Missed a shift only once due to a lazy foot.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Alphonzo

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »
Hey - that's great!  I'm glad you understood my concern, and that it was valid.  Interesting that you are connecting the primaries in series, instead of parallel.  If you guys have been doing it, and it works, that's all there is to it.

I think it would be a pretty cool upgrade, myself!

I don't get the part about Betelgeuse <== this is how you spell it :)  I know I'm a star, but... how did you know?  Are you psychic?

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2013, 03:09:16 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, I think he was referring to the movie.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline Alphonzo

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »
You figure?   8)

Offline SaturationDyes

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2016, 09:53:52 PM »
Hey guys want to bring this one back from the dead. I bought this bike of metrickmetal about 2 weeks ago. The bike has been sitting since the last post. Carbs never got put in. Got the bike is 6-7 boxes. Been waiting on some small parta to get it all together.

Got the carbs back in. Filled all of the fluids. And got ready to start it. And drum roll please....... Nothing. No spark. So i had to pull the custom wiring harness apart and rewire it. Put mew plugs in and tried to fire it again and still nothing. So done for tonight but just wanted to get everyone attention that this bike will hopfully be rolling again. Ill try and post pic in a day or two but i usually cant figure out how off my phone.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2016, 01:06:50 PM »
Hey guys want to bring this one back from the dead. I bought this bike of metrickmetal about 2 weeks ago. The bike has been sitting since the last post. Carbs never got put in. Got the bike is 6-7 boxes. Been waiting on some small parta to get it all together.

Got the carbs back in. Filled all of the fluids. And got ready to start it. And drum roll please....... Nothing. No spark. So i had to pull the custom wiring harness apart and rewire it. Put mew plugs in and tried to fire it again and still nothing. So done for tonight but just wanted to get everyone attention that this bike will hopfully be rolling again. Ill try and post pic in a day or two but i usually cant figure out how off my phone.

I gues that explains why its sat for the last 3 years... oh my.... nothing worse to fix, than a 3 year old mystery bike in pieces....
Best of luck, get some manuals, hopefully you got the FSM with that bike.... get a NEW battery, and fully charge it prior to any more attempts.
Make sure you clean all the cable ends with sandpaper before hooking the batt up.

We will make some popcorn shortly and await the screams....

OMG... I just looked back at your first posting here...the bikes been apart for 11 years, and has never run yet?
And its your first road bike?

Wow, we are gonnna need a lot of popcorn... and some good weed to go along with it....
I got plenty of tiedied tee shirts.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline SaturationDyes

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »
It is my first street bike and has been apart for 11yrs. Im hoping to have to running after work today. I believe the oroginal wiring configuration was right just not hooked into the bike correctly. Goong to redo the wiring after many emails woth tcro who has been a hige help. Thanks again.

Will post up more later.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2016, 07:41:30 PM »
Wow I did not realize this bike has been apart for 11 years...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline SaturationDyes

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2016, 12:18:55 AM »
Its Alive Its Alive.

Well after many hours of trying to figure out the wiring demons, we got the bike fired up for the first time in 11yrs. Shes running a bit rough but havent had a chance to actually sync and tune the carbs. More tomorrow.

But it ran and idled on its own for quite some time and warmed up.

Noticed some dash lights were out and doesnt seem like my temp gauge or fuel gauge works. So ill have to see if the wires arent hooked up. Already had part of the dash off and had to reconnect the headlight.

Defiantly gotta give it another once over to check every bolt and cotter pin.

New rubbers will be going on when i have the time to take off the wheels and get them to the shop. Already have some Avon strom 3ds for it.

Trottle seems to be sticking pretty badly gonna order a new cable for it just for that piece of mind.(had my trottle stick on my cr500 wide open over desert whoops. Not fun).

Things ive already done to the bike. New 26.5" cee baily windshield. Odessey extreme battery. Changed the fluids through out.

Cant wait to finally get it driving down the street. Gonna be a cross country bike soon. Another one saved from a dusty stationary life.