Author Topic: I removed the bags: it's a new bike!  (Read 12920 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: I removed the bags: it's a new bike!
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 09:06:01 AM »
The bags are 36" edge to edge (I measured them.)  The mirrors are 39" wide.  Removing the bags has zero effect on your ability to get around obstacles, and/or lane split.

But it is like going from a 38 waistline to a 34.  You can fit through the door either way but with a 34 you just feel better about it.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline cltsig

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »
I always find myself in a position to need to put something in the bags. I use the bike to go to the grocery store, and on beer runs. I often find myself at the hardware store. So basically they're trunks for my bike. So i never take them off.

Me too.  Plus bungee cords, gloves, rain gear just in case, etc.  That's part of the reason I bought the bike!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »
The bags are 36" edge to edge (I measured them.)  The mirrors are 39" wide.  Removing the bags has zero effect on your ability to get around obstacles, and/or lane split.

Never said they did, but the bike is much narrower in the rear without them. Ride with them or ride without them, I like riding either way but "prefer" without them. And with the HUGE exhaust gone, the C14 looks pretty good going bagless too. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 10:58:01 PM »
Me too.  Plus bungee cords, gloves, rain gear just in case, etc.  That's part of the reason I bought the bike!

Ditto.  I take them off probably once a month because most of my trips I have something in them, and I hate using a tank bag if I don't have to.  I don't know how so many people run no bags?!

Offline ugocon

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
I'd instead say that it has a great effect on this!  ;)
I experience it every day in my garage.
There are columns all around and WITH the bags I must pay attention to not scratch them once passed with the mirrors.
WITHOUT the bags, once passed the column with the mirrors... I don't care and can tighten the curve as I like, way more smoothly.  8)

And this can be applied to any obsatcle
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 07:34:08 AM »
Saddle bags are like mustaches.  When you are younger you want one because they make you look older.  But when you get older and shave them off it makes you look younger.  I'm approaching 60 years old and I like the fact that I look and feel younger without saddlebags  ;)

Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
Saddle bags are like mustaches.  When you are younger you want one because they make you look older.  But when you get older and shave them off it makes you look younger.  I'm approaching 60 years old and I like the fact that I look and feel younger without saddlebags  ;)

Man that crazy nice back seat rig stands out with those bags off
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 04:24:37 PM »

What IS up with that rear seat?  Do you have a Kawabusa?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »
What IS up with that rear seat?  Do you have a Kawabusa?

That is a standard Sargent seat with Pod storage instead of rear seat.  I have one on my bike and it is very nice.  The seat is modular.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 06:12:22 PM »
That is a standard Sargent seat with Pod storage instead of rear seat.  I have one on my bike and it is very nice.  The seat is modular.

:goodpost:

Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »
::)

Number of times I have ever been 145 mph.....  zero.  Number of times I expect to ever even go over 100.... zero.

Maybe you should trade your Connie in for a Honda Rebel 250 and a minivan Max...  ;) ;D

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »
I'm with you, I don't know how you can own this bike and not at least accidentally go 100 a few times.
I know I "accidentally" do all the time.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »
I'm with you, I don't know how you can own this bike and not at least accidentally go 100 a few times.I know I "accidentally" do all the time.

Yep, even on my C10, weekly excursions past the "ton" were commonplace. ::)
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 09:46:30 PM »
I find riding with the bags on gives the bike "a presence" on the road that cagers see, and LEO doesn't see as a squid on a crotch rocket.
Like a stealth bomber?  8)
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 07:01:26 AM »
I find riding with the bags on gives the bike "a presence" on the road that cagers see, and LEO doesn't see as a squid on a crotch rocket.
Like a stealth bomber?  8)

+1

Nothing better than smoking a young squidder with the bags on.  When they catch up and we talk they can't believe how fast it is for a "grandpa" bike.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »
+1

Nothing better than smoking a young squidder with the bags on.  When they catch up and we talk they can't believe how fast it is for a "grandpa" bike.   ;D

:rotflmao: :chugbeer:   i am a bag guy, always on, thought about a top box, or a tail bag instead, but it just works like this. I do a ride a week of say 400's miles and always have stuff in the cases. i just try to keep them balanced from side to side. Now on the track, they are off. my thought is its one less part to replace if i skip it in the fence.  ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »
Maybe you should trade your Connie in for a Honda Rebel 250 and a minivan Max...  ;) ;D

I could care less about top speed.

Now, try to keep up behind me and see how fast I *get* to the speed limit + 10, and WITH my bags on (that never come off)  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 03:11:48 PM »
I like the bags and trunk for the stealth factor as well as for the practicality.  It was almost like getting a new bike when I switched from the OEM tall w/s to the OEM short that I cut 4".  Maybe if I pull the bags and trunk, the transformation will be compete.

OTOH, that would kill much of the practicality and strealth, but I may try it for a bit just for fun.

As for speed, there is just too much traffic and enforcement anywhere close to home.  Even short bursts can attract a lot of unwanted attention for the first hour or two in most directions.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Deadeye321

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
2 weeks after I got my Connie came acroos a large accident on back county road.  Every cop around was there.  Hmm, what to do when I found a nice long strech.  Gotta see how she feels 60 to 115 in the blink of an eye.  Stable and no wabble.  Ok back down to normal speeds sheed limit +10 or 15.  Just had to find out.  BTW that was with bags loaded.
   Now ride w/o bags and have large Givi top box.  Love my Connie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »
I'm with you, I don't know how you can own this bike and not at least accidentally go 100 a few times.
I know I "accidentally" do all the time.

OK,  it might be possible I have accidentally gone over 100 a few times.   But it is pretty damn rare.