Author Topic: Speedometer Off By 5%  (Read 7577 times)

Offline W14

Speedometer Off By 5%
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:25:29 AM »
Installed a GPS yesterday and was curious as to the accuracy of the C-14's speedometer. What I found was that speedometer was high by about 5%. At 40 mph the GPS read 38; at 80 mph the GPS read 77; don't know about speed higher than that.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Speedometer Off By 5%
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 09:26:38 AM »
Yes that is correct, and pretty much the norm for any bike I have owned.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline W14

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:39 AM »
For Harley's as well?

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 02:15:53 PM »
Manufacturers are capable of creating accurate speedometers.  It's more of a legal/regulatory issue.  There is a lot of leeway for optimistic speedos, but none for pessimistic ones, so pretty much everybody plays it legally safe rather than accurate.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Breaker19

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 03:01:27 PM »
For Harley's as well?

Yes. The Ultra Classic I had was off about that much too.

Offline koval68

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
190/55 rear tire will correct speedometer error quite nicely actually, just saying. 8)
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »
190/55 rear tire will correct speedometer error quite nicely actually, just saying. 8)

Really? :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 05:00:56 PM »
I thought the speedo was connected to the front wheel, if so how does changing the rear do anything to the speed?
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 05:10:04 PM »
I thought the speedo was connected to the front wheel, if so how does changing the rear do anything to the speed?

The only sensor on the front wheels is on ABS bikes.  The C14 has the speed sensor around the primary drive IIRC.  I would have around a 5% error with the 190/50, with the 190/55 (about 1/2 inch taller) it is more like 2-3%.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline koval68

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:55:36 PM »
The only sensor on the front wheels is on ABS bikes.  The C14 has the speed sensor around the primary drive IIRC.  I would have around a 5% error with the 190/50, with the 190/55 (about 1/2 inch taller) it is more like 2-3%.
My observations exactly!
Speed sensor is located on top of front gear case.

Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 08:01:55 PM »

That is exactly the point.  The speedometer reads the same as the front wheel continues at the same speed.  But a taller rear tire reduces your RPM's at the same speed, or conversely raises your speed in relation to RPM and front tire rotation.

Mine read the same error rate and at top speed it is about 9 mph high.  BTW, with the 55 tire mine is still off 1 mph at 70. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »
I had a 190/55 on the rear of my 09 and it brought the speedo closer but not right on,

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 12:32:36 AM »
That is exactly the point.  The speedometer reads the same as the front wheel continues at the same speed.  But a taller rear tire reduces your RPM's at the same speed, or conversely raises your speed in relation to RPM and front tire rotation.

Mine read the same error rate and at top speed it is about 9 mph high.  BTW, with the 55 tire mine is still off 1 mph at 70.
I'm not sure if I follow what you are saying.  A taller (or shorter) rear tire will affect the relationship of rpm's and actual speed, regardless of the speedo drive pickup.
But ....
1 - The C14's speedo is not driven off the front wheel.
2 - On a bike with the speedo driven off the front wheel, changing the rear wheel size (or gear ratio/sprocket sizes) will have no effect on the displayed speed.
3 - On a bike with a rear-drive speedo, changing the tire or sprocket sizes will affect the displayed speed.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 03:59:23 AM »
If you want to correct your soeedometer, get a Speed-O-Healer.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

Fred H. did a write up on this : http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/speedohealer
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 04:57:15 AM »
If you want to correct your soeedometer, get a Speed-O-Healer.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

Fred H. did a write up on this : http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/speedohealer

I never understood the logic behind this. Why spend the money and go through the trouble of installing one of these things? You know that your speedo is off a bit but so what? I know, it's a farkle...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 05:58:28 AM »
I never understood the logic behind this. Why spend the money and go through the trouble of installing one of these things? You know that your speedo is off a bit but so what? I know, it's a farkle...

:rotflmao: that's enough reason for most of us (me included) but as Fred put it: a gauge is there to give me information. If it doesn't do that, it's useless.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 07:19:39 AM »

Some people just like to have an accurate speedometer.  I know I wish MINE were in all my vehicles.  I am not sure I would expend that much money or effort to correct it, though.

What would be nice is if we could calculate the exact error with GPS, and then have the dealer simply adjust the computer to make it correct.  No wiring, no installation, no box to fail, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 09:15:02 AM »
I just go by what my speedo says. If in reality I'm not doing 70 but 67.2, or whatever, I'm fine. To each their own right? Besides, I'm usually speeding no matter what*.

*never in a school or construction zone though.    ;D
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 09:34:14 AM »
I honestly never give it much thought, I look at my GPS most the time anyways.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 10:31:51 AM »
On bikes with chain drive, if you swap out either of the sprockets, it changes the speedometer reading. That's where the Speed-O-Healer is needed the most. But then there's the guy that "must" have his sruff perfect!  :o
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.