Author Topic: front forks worn out ?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
front forks worn out ?
« on: March 18, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anybody has had the same issue, I got a call today from my local dealer who has my front forks from my 2009 C14, I had dropped them off to have the fork seals replaced, I was told that the lowers were worn and needed to be replaced at a cost of about $1000. in parts! (I checked and the lowers are around 450. each) Needless to say I was shocked! I've replaced the fork oil at around 45,00 miles and the bike presently has around 77,000 miles on it.
I suspect it might be related to a Issue I had last year with the same dealer. I had brought the bike in to have my TPS sensors replaced under warranty, I left on a trip out west a week later. On my first day out I got 450 miles from home and noticed a banging noise from my front end every time I hit a seam in the road so I pulled over to check out the bike. Right away I noticed my pinch bolts on the right side forks were loose and getting ready to fall out! Needless to say I was hot and placed a call to the dealer right away to express my displeasure! I then tightened my pinch bolts and continued on my trip which wound up being a 7000 mile loop out west and back. While out on the road I noticed a vibration whenever I took the bike up in the triple digit region, it got worse after a couple of days so I found a Dealership in Nebraska and had them go over the bike, they declared it safe to ride home.
At this time I also sent a Email to the store manager back home informing him of the problems I was having, he replied right away and we agreed to bring the bike back in to have it gone over because the vibration had not gone away. After checking out the bike I was told the steering head bearings were worn and needed replacing,( I replaced them myself less than 500 miles before I left on my trip), they replaced the bearings and the front tire at no cost to me and the vibration did improve but didn't go away completely, after putting around another 500 miles on the bike at end the year I put her away for the winter .
I started riding the bike after a nice warm up here in Feb. and while out one day I noticed the fork seal leaking on the left fork only, I was close to the dealership and stopped in to see what it was going to cost me to get it fixed (at this point I figured it must be because of wear that the seal had gone bad).
 The dealer quoted me a price of around $500 to do the job completely if I dropped off the bike, I chose to pull the forks myself and have them replace the seals and they quoted me a price of $350.
They got around to working on my forks today and now I'm told that the lowers are worn and need to be replaced at a additional cost of $1000., I told them that I want to inspect my parts before they do anything.
What I'm asking of the experts here is what do you think? I think now their Mechanics negligence caused my issue and the dealer should fix the problem.
What say you guys?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: front forks worn out ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
What I'm asking of the experts here is what do you think? I think now their Mechanics negligence caused my issue and the dealer should fix the problem.
What say you guys?

I am no expert, but I have read every post here for many years now.  I do not remember anyone ever having a problem with their front forks wearing out and needing a $1000 repair.  So that might help to indicate just how rare this probably is...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »
Seems like the dealer screwed the pooch from the start.

There's been some zx14 take-offs on ebay for a lot less.

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
I haven't been inside C14 forks yet, do they not have replaceable bushings like conventional forks?
IBA #18591

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 05:15:56 PM »
For that kind of $$$$ you could have those rebuilt completely by Traxion... and have a superior suspension forever...
I have to call shenanigans and b/s on this dealer, they are taking you to the cleaners on this...
As other have, and may still note, this occurance is not common, and frankly we haven't seen a solitary post on either forum of "worn out" forks... a leaky seal occasionally, but never a worn fork.. coupled with the afforementioned "bad head bearing" which you had replaced shortly before they said yours was reportedly "bad " by them, id find a different service center to deal with...
I'm not saying that there may be a scratch on the tube, or something that caused the leak, but I've re polished forks many times, and re assembled them without issue to stop a bad seal from repeating itself... and it would take a seriously bent tube, one that is visibly bent, to cause leakage..

As for "sliders" or bushings, I don't think these forks have those, looking at the FSM as I have not pulled mine apart yet, it doesn't appear that would be the issue...
Id be seeking alternatives rapidly, and get those forks back, show up unannounced a.s.a.p., and grab them out of their hands, so they don't intentionally "damage" them in order to prove their diagnosis...

Its a shame, I hate this kind of dealer activity...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »
I haven't been inside C14 forks yet, do they not have replaceable bushings like conventional forks?

They aren't big enough for you to get inside.. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 06:50:20 PM »

You knob.... pass me that bong.... I'll get small, and take pictures..

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 08:58:41 PM »

I'm not from Va  :doh:
IBA #18591

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 06:33:51 AM »
I'm not from Va  :doh:

Nope, only those of us with outstanding character, moral fortitude, and common sense are :)  Right, Jim?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 07:08:38 AM »
Right... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
Re: front forks worn out ? Update!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 11:58:37 AM »
Stopped by my local Dealer today to inspect my parts and have a discussion on how I was gonna get my bike fixed, first off the lowers had the chrome stripped right off in about a 1inch strip on both lowers. (must be a thin chrome coating here!) Lowers definitely need replacing, I made it known to the Service Manager and the Mechanic that it made no sense to me to invest $1300 in repairing what I had when there were a few cheaper options out there.
 At that point I figured I was just going to have them reassemble the forks and start looking for a good used set somewhere, I then asked the Service Manager if he would make a call to Kawasaki and see if they would cover them under my GTPP plan, Well surprise, surprise!! Kawasaki is going to step up and replace my fork lowers at no cost to me! I'm tickled!!!
 I have to now thank MOB for hooking us up with the plan, I would have never paid what the dealer was asking for the plan ( my local dealer wanted double what I paid to Pete at Ultimate Cycles),and at this point and miles on the bike the repair would have to come out of my pocket! Thank you MOB! you saved me a lot a cash!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
That's great to hear,  glad it all worked out.