Author Topic: Digital display issues!  (Read 15183 times)

Offline ZXShan, 2015 C14 ABS

• 2015 C14 ABS
Digital display issues!
« on: July 11, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »
Hey everyone, I started having some display issue on my new bike and was hoping someone may have come across this before. I will be taking the bike in for warranty coverage since it is new but I am not sure if there might be a bigger issue other than the display. I have attached 3 pictures. Any input would be great. Thank you.
Quote: "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
-Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Offline DaddyFlip

Re: Digital display issues!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:30:31 AM »
Unless disconnecting the battery for a bit will solve that, looks like a new display is in order.

The CURRENT MPG page looks like it wants to monopolize the display.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 03:34:28 PM »
Unless disconnecting the battery for a bit will solve that, looks like a new display is in order.

I concur with the "try disconnecting/reconnecting the battery" if that doesn't solve it, it is time to visit the dealer.  It could be a loose cable, a cracked circuit board, or some other malfunction.  Certainly is not normal, and also not something I have seen reported before.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 05:14:33 PM »
Any chance it's temperature related ? Was it sitting in the sun for a while? Arizona right?
Many have had a windshield magnifying effect sitting in the sun and melting gauge needles IIRC, could effect display as well?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »
Clearly not the common faded temp.issue, this is a first on this particular display issue I've seen of what you show, can't say for certain doing a batt cable removal, cleaning, and reconnection is the fix either, in this case... and frankley I can't say that it is caused by a bad harness connection either judging from similar results on different tsensed functions...
I'm thinking this is actually a bad display issuewith an internal non serviceable by owner cure.. might as well get it into the dealer,nthey will replace the display unit,.and all should be good..mm first timer issue require you to buy beer....
Just kidding, make the Kaw dealership fix this one... but.... take it in,nshow it to them, make them order the display, and don't let them hold your bike hostage until the part comes in.... they tend to do that, and its wrong of them to do stuff like this, it may take a while to get that cluster in... and everything else is working... so, be diligent, and don't leave it with them....

Oh, and be sure to report back the results, and who you took it to, so we have some semblence of following this completely new phenomina..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 06:49:45 PM »
Oh, and be sure to report back the results, and who you took it to, so we have some semblence of following this completely new phenomina..

+1
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

• 2015 C14 ABS
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »
Thank you for all the input everyone! I will be taking it to the dealer and I have a pretty relationship with them so I am hoping it will go smooth. The bike only has about 1200 miles on it so I know warranty will cover the repairs, I am just hoping I don't get any 'runaround'.  I will keep everyone updated as to what the they find out.
Quote: "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
What year bike?  2015?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 11:02:11 AM »
What year bike?  2015?

Looks to be by his avatar... green

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »

And the reflection in the display.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

• 2015 C14 ABS
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 12:33:26 PM »
Hey guys, yes the bike is a 2015. I apologize for the the reflection in the pics. I was trying to get the pics as quickly as I could since the dash was freaking out and I wanted to get them before it corrected itself. I have an appointment with the dealer for this week and I have forwarded the service manager the pics. He said that this was very strange and he had not seen this before. He indicated that they would be contacting Kawasaki to figure out if there is any known issues for this and what is the best way to correct/fix it. He basically said that once they check plugs/connections etc. and they seem to be fine that Kawasaki will most likely send out a new display. He did mention that with a new display the bike will start the mileage count over as if it were new.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 01:15:06 PM »
I have no way to dispute that but sure doesn't sound right.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »

I could put up an avatar of a 63 vette but it doesn't mean I have one.

It really helps if you are asking for help to tell us the year of the bike that you are having issues with.  I think I'm going to start locking threads on help requests unless the year is at least known.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

• 2015 C14 ABS
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 02:19:25 PM »
My apologies for not indicating the year of the bike on my initial post! I did correct that mistake later in the thread. In my snarky defense I did indicate that the bike is "new" and my avatar shows my 2015 model year green bike along with the visible mileage in the pics being 1100 and change I did make the ASSUMPTION (and yes, I know the definition) that everyone would figure it out.  :P

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 02:24:28 PM »
And yet, I couldn't.  We have riders here that buy new bikes from past years that have languished on dealer floors for as much as two years or even longer.  It really helps to provide that information and not assume that we can figure that out from the avatar or a reflection in a mirror.  Just one of my pet peeves.  Ok now.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 02:27:11 PM »
Looks like beerthirty... :chugbeer:

• 2015 C14 ABS
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmm, beerthirty!!!!!!!!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 02:44:53 PM »
And yet, I couldn't.  We have riders here that buy new bikes from past years that have languished on dealer floors for as much as two years or even longer.  It really helps to provide that information and not assume that we can figure that out from the avatar or a reflection in a mirror.  Just one of my pet peeves.  Ok now.

Have a Martini and quit swinging the sword of Dama-Cleese please.....

And repeat the word.       Neeee:neeeeeeee,          Neeeeee.       Neeeeee

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »
A martini and a scotch...sounds like a good idea.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 03:41:02 PM »
I have forwarded the service manager the pics. He said that this was very strange and he had not seen this before.

Indeed, that is what we told you too- very unusual

He did mention that with a new display the bike will start the mileage count over as if it were new.

Interesting- I thought that would be held in the ECU.

My apologies for not indicating the year of the bike on my initial post!

If you add it to your avatar/tag line or signature, then you will never have to think about it again!