Author Topic: Finally had the valves checked  (Read 17321 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Finally had the valves checked
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2016, 03:03:03 PM »
I noticed an oil leak from my valve cover gasket at 95,000 miles. ......
 He documented all the valves on paper and found all intake valves well in spec. Only one exhaust valve was out at .005. However, he decided after exhaust cam removal that adjusting all exhaust valves to center was easy enough to do. Seven out of eight exhaust valves and all intake valves were still in spec and this is after 95K. H........

I still find it hard to comprehend going through the tedious and dangerous steps of removing cams and adjusting valves that are in spec just to put them all in the center or loose end of spec.

I base my responses on your post...
95k miles, without ever being inspected, is ludicrous.

And the .005 dimension you noted.... ? Was it out by .005" or was it measured at .005"?
Doesn't matter, its still way out, as the "spec" was long since gone there.....

The "RANGE" of adjustment is a mere .0020" from top to bottom...
That valve ... was wayyyyyyyy out.

The range of acceptable is very narrow, that's why shims are used... because its precise....

So, want to reveal the dimensions he "actually recorded on paper" for us to peruse?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »
So, want to reveal the dimensions he "actually recorded on paper" for us to peruse?

It is always a good idea to DEMAND a dealer (or other mechanic) record everything on paper (and have them DATE and SIGN IT too, with mileage)- measurements before touching anything, what was changed, and measurements after.  It doesn't guarantee a mechanic actually did the work, but they are far more likely to take you seriously and much more cautious because if something does go wrong and the work is checked and they didn't do what they said they did, it could be a huge scandal for them.  Posting such papers here is good too :)

I hate being such an untrusting person :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »
I don't foresee that happening Max, as I am but a lowly Amateur, Shade tree, mechanic, with no clue, and no credentials to offer valid input about anything... or even to caution people...
 :thumbs: :hitfan: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2016, 05:13:35 AM »
I don't foresee that happening Max, as I am but a lowly Amateur, Shade tree, mechanic, with no clue, and no credentials to offer valid input about anything... or even to caution people...
 :thumbs: :hitfan: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Rich, don't put yourself down so much ... I heard you have quite a way with lawn mowers.  ;)

Oh, wait a minute ... never mind, that's some guy in Florida.  Sorry.  :o
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2016, 02:22:44 PM »
Rich, don't put yourself down so much ... I heard you have quite a way with lawn mowers.  ;)

Oh, wait a minute ... never mind, that's some guy in Florida.  Sorry.  :o

We all started somewhere... I actually turned my mower repair business over to my father, when I was 15, he made quite a business out of it, and was still doing them up till he passed away at 90...

I moved on to bikes, he never wanted to work on those....  I'm thinking about getting back into the mower thing tho, the shop is still setup, and with bins and cabinets full of new parts he stocked, might be lucrtive.. besides, people don't tend to callazz on ya when you got their mower in pieces, and the grass is getting high...

Thank goodness Bubba lives in Fla, he would put me outta business... 8)

Offline tomp

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2016, 06:13:49 PM »
We all started somewhere... I actually turned my mower repair business over to my father, when I was 15, he made quite a business out of it, and was still doing them up till he passed away at 90...

I moved on to bikes, he never wanted to work on those....  I'm thinking about getting back into the mower thing tho, the shop is still setup, and with bins and cabinets full of new parts he stocked, might be lucrative.. besides, people don't tend to call azz on ya when you got their mower in pieces, and the grass is getting high...

Thank goodness Bubba lives in Fla, he would put me outta business... 8)
Do what ever makes you happy and places appropriate dollars into your pocket. After retirement from 30 years in  professional sales, went back into retail.  Hours suck and concrete floors are HARD, but I'm having fun.   Hope you continue to do so too.  I also  enjoy your polite and conservative attitude you have here. Makes me smile... tp ;D
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2016, 08:09:24 PM »
Is the chart MOB used available online? With an explanation on how to fill it out.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 09:10:09 PM »
Is the chart MOB used available online? With an explanation on how to fill it out.
Wayne

Not perfect, but it wouldn't let me upload the Excel spreadsheet map.
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2016, 02:30:37 PM »
 :DTHANKS ;D

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »

Found this link... https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=678c38c85621c2f0&page=view&resid=678C38C85621C2F0!511&parId=678C38C85621C2F0!126&app=Excel

It'll have to be scrubbed of the user info, but I downloaded it without issue (and it survived my virus software, so I'm optimistic I didn't just screw my computer up).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2016, 05:26:03 PM »
these were hidden in the C14 tech thread...  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3506.msg40384#msg40384

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3506.0;attach=4400

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3506.0;attach=4277

note they are MS spreadsheets, and can be manipulated by picking shims in place, and values will update accordingly, or, you can simply zero all the values out, and use the form "manually" to record data...

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2016, 05:41:55 PM »
I need to spend more time looking in the tech thread...
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
Here's another is you're not afraid of the Russians... http://vicdzen.narod.ru/index/0-2

Offline Fairfax

• 2009 Concours 14 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2016, 06:08:18 PM »
I was comparing the spreadsheet to the manual and I realized the service manual has a mistake on page 2-26 "Specified Valve Clearance (Mean Value = 0.125 mm)". The spreadsheet is correct and unfortunately the factory service manual has a typo. The mean value should be 0.215mm!

I am sure others have noticed that in the past but I just want to mention it again.

Offline wb57

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09
Turning paychecks into spent fossil fuels.