Author Topic: Transmission  (Read 11626 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Transmission
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 03:35:39 AM »
U.S. side, of course.

Actually the Canadian side has the better view of the Falls based on what I saw many years ago.  They also have Cuban cigars.

Rich, I want to know why shifting without the clutch, done without any gear gnashing or other untoward noises can damage the transmission.  I can understand if it's making all sorts of noises and such but I don't understand how it's damaging the transmission if done correctly.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 05:32:22 AM »
then BAMMMMMM

and ya won't come here then, admitting you screwed up, and or why.

Oh yes I would.  I would think you would know me by now- I would be the first person to admit if I was wrong and have no fear telling everyone that.

I don't really care, I just want people that have no clue about bike longevity, to NOT listen to this, and NOT emulate all you experts

I never claimed to be nor implied being an expert.  I only said what I believe and what I was taught (and yes, he who taught me is an expert in transmissions.  Of course, that doesn't mean he can't be wrong).  In any case, I like your passion :)  When I get a chance, I will ask my friend about all this and see what he has to say.  Perhaps his opinion has changed since those many years ago, or he has new info.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 01:42:26 PM »
sorry to be so adament, I just fear that some newb will read and emulate without fully understanding. it happens all the time, they see something on a forum, and without regard attempt it without a true warning or process.

Jim,
it may not make noise but that doesn't mean there is silent damage occuring....shift forks when under pressure make little noise, but they bend, and also the tips wear along with the adajacent slot on the gear.
chopping the throttle while loading the shifter isn not really conducive to preventing damage, but as that is the only way to do a clutchless shift without other mods on a bike, people use that method.
my drag bikes and other street hooligan bikes I did this on all had varius devices I made up to kill coil voltage for the half second the shift was being performed. I also used mini air cylinders to actuate the lever, so the circuit would kill the coil and actuate the air solenoid, and reset & re establish coil voltage during that sequence. basically a 2 circuit relay, tied to my horn button for actuation. Did get exotic later tho, and had my electro wizard pal create a variable timing circuit for my on a little tiny board... I have to dig that toy out again and see how he did it...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »
Thanks, Rich.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »
when you get a second, take a look at the fsm, and note which gears are always in mesh, and which ones move, also noting that between the 3 shift forks, on 2 drums, that there is always one gear disengaging, and another engaging simultainiously, or offset so little it is not apparent.  that tolereance on the forks depletes when they are forced, and begin to bend or wear in thickness,  and sooner or later a gear will try to engage, and speed up the output shaft, before the prior gear is completely disengaged.... that's where the BAM occurs...you will also see which (outboard) gears are in constant mesh. so unloading the drive by chopping throttle, can many times either back load the output shaft, or never unload the input shaft sufficiently to prevent this "dogs" on the face of the moving gear from sliding to their home place... thus rounded or chipped dogs.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 05:07:57 PM »
IMO, there are a couple of items of misinformation in this and the linked threads.  Although reluctant to jump in the middle of this, as a retired drive train engineer, I feel a couple of comments may be in order.  This is REALLY long, feel free to skip it if you’re not into technical details!

In a thread in a COG forum that is linked to in reply #1, “Greg” says “Motorcycles are a constant mesh transmission.  That means everything is turning the same speed.  This enables shifting like this.”  This statement is just plain false.  Whether a transmission is sliding gear or constant mesh, the elements within are turning at a variety of speeds.  And being constant mesh does not enable clutchless shifting, I used to be able to do it on my Model A with a sliding gear transmission, with the proper technique, and the attendant risk of damage.

Within that COG thread, Fred Harmon links further to a page that, in part, says “Most all of the gearboxes on motorcycles are "constant mesh". That means all the gears are constantly meshed with one another and are always spinning. Because of this, there are no synchros to speed up the gears when they engage, like there are in automotive gearboxes.”  This is misleading.  The fact that the gears are in mesh has nothing to do with using a synchronizer or not--any constant mesh gearboxes, whether used in motorcycles or autos, may use synchros if desired to achieve the performance and durability objectives of the application.

A sliding gearset is one where a pair of mating gears is each splined to its respective shaft, and therefore each is limited to rotate only at the speed its shaft is rotating.  When not in use, one of the gears must slide via splines on its shaft to a point where the teeth of the gears are no longer in mesh.

A constant mesh gearset is a pair of gears whose teeth are always in mesh and where only one of the gears is splined directly to its shaft, the other may turn on its shaft at a speed other than the shaft speed, via a bushing or bearing.  In order to transmit shaft torque, the gear that can spin freely on its shaft must be connected somehow to its shaft when needed, usually by a collar with spline teeth with or without a synchronizer, or by mating dog teeth or pins and mating holes that are engaged when the collar is slid laterally on the shaft.  Note that one gear of a constant mesh gearset may be slid on its shaft, but the teeth will not go out of engagement with each other, so they stay in constant mesh.

The gearsets in the Concours transmission are all constant mesh.  Some of them serve double duty since they are made with dog teeth on their faces, and when slid closer to their neighboring gear, are used to connect that gear to the shaft they share.  But they are still in constant mesh, none of the gear teeth ever go fully out of or back into engagement during operation.  Any grinding or clunking you hear during shifting is the dog teeth on the face of one of the sliding gears trying to get engaged with its neighboring gear on the same shaft.

When you shift, what is happening is that the speed of the input shaft is being changed to a new speed appropriate to the new gear ratio being selected (slower for an upshift, faster for a downshift), and the force to do this comes from the momentum of the output side (which includes the momentum of the whole motorcycle) through an impact at the moment the dogs engage the new gear, accelerating the much smaller momentum of the input side.  Despite anyone’s best skills, some impact cannot be avoided, especially using a shift system typical of a motorcycle, where there is no pause for neutral.  When the shift lever is preloaded and the current gear releases at the moment of zero torque, those dogs will try to engage the next gear almost instantly, long before any effect of letting off the throttle, or revving for a downshift, can have much effect.

This is where the clutch comes in.  If the clutch is disengaged, then the moment of inertia of the input side is only the shaft, connected gears, and the clutch output plates.  This is relatively small and the impact to do this is modest.  But if the clutch remains engaged, then the inertia is the total of the previous items, plus the whole clutch, flywheel, and the rotating inertia of the entire engine, since these are all connected!    This is probably ten to fifty times the inertia.  In short, it takes a much much larger impact force.

I’m not saying it is for sure that clutchless shifting will destroy a transmission.  But it will surely result in much higher impacts, and greatly increase the chance of leading edge chipping and eventual dog-skipping (grinding) and with fatigue damage, the chance of complete failure of the dog teeth, as MOB has pointed out.

A hint of what is happening here is the “clunk” you hear and mild “kick” you feel if you quickly put it in first gear from neutral quite soon after pulling in the clutch lever.  That’s the output shaft bringing the input shaft to a stop, and you feeling and hearing the impact of that on the bike itself.  In clutchless shifting, clunks and impacts are also there, you just don’t hear them or feel them because you’re at speed.

OK, lecture over.  Test on Friday…
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 06:49:26 PM »
For a quick hands-in lesson on what you've just red, go drive an old 1940-49 ford pickup or truck where there were no synchronizers and double-clutching was required to shift gears.

Bob S.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 07:58:30 PM »
For a quick hands-in lesson on what you've just red, go drive an old 1940-49 ford pickup or truck where there were no synchronizers and double-clutching was required to shift gears.

Bob S.
+1. First vehicle my dad taught me on besides the Farmall 350.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

elp_jc

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 12:50:53 PM »
Clutchless upshifts (past second) done right won't harm anything IMO. I personally don't do the 1-2, even with a factory quick-shifter, due to N being in the middle; it just doesn't feel/sound right to me. If there was possible damage, factories wouldn't offer quick-shifters as OEM... which offer nothing more than electronically cutting engine power (therefore, throttle can remain open) during clutchless upshifts... rather than doing that ourselves with our right hand. But you have to be accelerating for a successful clutchless upshift. If you're maintaining speed, or barely accelerating, better use the clutch. Clutchless downshifts are definitely a no-no in my book, and I don't personally practice them. Having said that, BMW's quick-shifter option now includes downshifts (throttle closed), but they must incorporate a device that momentarily disengages the clutch since the system 'rev-matches' to the next lower gear (which I always do manually, car or bike). I personally think clutchless upshifts at higher rpm/throttle-opening are more effective than using the clutch, even though I clutch with just 2 fingers (have the other 2 to hang on to the bars). Finally, some bikes like clutchless upshifts better than others. And THAT determines if I use it or not. The Connie has the best shifting transmission I've owned, including for that, so I'm confident the practice has no ill effects... WHEN DONE RIGHT ;).

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 02:21:26 PM »
Wow, this is getting to be better than a tire or oil thread.   :popcorn: 

Lot's of opinions but not so many facts.  I appreciate the long writeup by C14_Rider with a really good explanation of why you should not clutchless shift. Followed almost immediately by someone with hearsay evidence of why clutchless shifting is just fine.  Hilarity.

Then this from early in the thread: 
If a truck driver used the clutch every time he shifted, his left leg would be bigger than his torso. The only time you use the clutch on a big truck is to start or stop. Explain why those transmissions last a million miles.

I don't know where the poster got this info but I've been in a lot of trucks, our company makes parts for them, and I've never seen a trucker shift without the clutch.  In fact, you usually need to shift twice, called double clutching, then you still need to rev the engine to match the tranny speed to get it engaged because they don't have synchros.  And they do grind them alot and they do need repairs, often before a million miles.

Otherwise, everything on here has been 100% correct.   :stirpot:

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 03:14:25 PM »

Then this from early in the thread: 
I don't know where the poster got this info but I've been in a lot of trucks, our company makes parts for them, and I've never seen a trucker shift without the clutch.  In fact, you usually need to shift twice, called double clutching, then you still need to rev the engine to match the tranny speed to get it engaged because they don't have synchros.  And they do grind them alot and they do need repairs, often before a million miles.

Otherwise, everything on here has been 100% correct.   :stirpot:

Maybe your drivers need remedial training. Why would one increase the rpms when upshifting? In addition, a throttle blip while passing through the neutral position on the downshift provides the necessary rpm increase. It does require a level of skill acquired through experience, something you admittedly lack.  ::)  Double clutching is decidedly NOT needed to shift any 9,10,13, or 15 speed transmission I have ever operated. Go ahead and add 5 and 6 speed transmissions with and/or without 2 speed differentials. You may have ridden in countless trucks but that doesn't make you a driver any more than hanging out in a garage makes you a car.

Just sayin'.......
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 05:24:35 PM »
In addition, a throttle blip while passing through the neutral position on the downshift provides the necessary rpm increase.
I think you are both right about truck shifting, there are some that do clutchless and some who don’t.  But note that the description above is really a special case of double-clutching where the clutch is not disengaged twice to shift out of one gear and into the next.  The key in either case is to slow down (upshift) or speed up (downshift) the engine with the clutch engaged and the tranny in neutral, thus forcing the input shaft to the desired matching speed before engaging the next gear.

Critical to the motorcycle version of this however is that typical motorcycle shift mechanisms have no ability to pause in neutral and have the engine affect the input shaft speed.  Once the shift is commenced, the period of time from the release of the dogs for current gear to the initial engagement of the dogs for the next gear is, as I recall from an SAE paper on the subject, on the order of about 50 to 100 ms, and this gives little time for the engine speed to change much during this “virtual neutral” regardless of throttle position.  So that impact described above is still there, and the level of the dog teeth impact will be significantly affected by the clutch status.
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »
^^^ I read your prior posts and I never really thought about the effect of going through neutral on a truck transmission as opposed to the way a motorcycle transmission engages. Food for thought.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 05:59:09 PM »
However, what about transmissions like the Road Ranger where each shifter position has multiple ranges and when you upshift all you do is flip the switch, release the throttle, then reapply it? Downshift is accomplished by releasing the throttle, flipping the switch, then re-applicaction of the throttle. The shift lever is only moved only every 2-3 shifts. (Unless you choose to bypass a few gears/ranges)

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 06:02:08 PM »
I never claimed to be a truck driver. Just said I've ridden in many and they all used a clutch except the automatic ones. Didn't mean to torque you off just my observation.

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 06:23:18 PM »
However, what about transmissions like the Road Ranger...
Well, I'm not terribly familiar with RR units, although the Eaton internet site suggests there are a wide variety of them.  Many modern truck transmissions are mostly or fully synchronized, and many do the shifting at the behest of a computer using hydraulic or pneumatic cylinders.  Many of the motor coaches I drive use a ZF 15 speed fully synchronized "automatic" transmission.  This means no clutch pedal, the dry clutch is controlled by a computer using a pneumatic cylinder, and no shifter, the shifting/clutching is all done with cylinders, and the engine speed and shift sequencing is all controlled by the computer.  (But there is no clutchless shifting...)  No heavy duty transmissions use dog teeth synchro-less engagement that I know of (could be wrong), I think that is only for lighter duty applications like motorcycles.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »
However, what about transmissions like the Road Ranger where each shifter position has multiple ranges and when you upshift all you do is flip the switch, release the throttle, then reapply it? Downshift is accomplished by releasing the throttle, flipping the switch, then re-applicaction of the throttle. The shift lever is only moved only every 2-3 shifts. (Unless you choose to bypass a few gears/ranges)

Road Ranger transmissions have a very large syncroniser assembly in the range-change section to trans to allow that to happen on upshifts.  On downshifts the clutch must be used to release engine torque or the throttle quickly released and reapplied to release torque during which time the change takes place. 
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 06:58:41 PM »
That's kind of funny since I never drove a truck that had a computer controlled anything. All of my experience has been on relics by today's standards. The ones I drove from the '70s had air lines running up to the shift knob and the throws on the shifters were loooong. I have no clue how it all functioned but once you got it all together, they were actually pretty smooth. The ones from the '80s were better but lacked the "personality" of their predecessors. Kind of like modern cars. Decidedly better but they seem to be lacking something.

Oops. This was posted before I read the post just prior to it

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2015, 10:47:20 PM »
If a truck driver used the clutch every time he shifted, his left leg would be bigger than his torso. The only time you use the clutch on a big truck is to start or stop. Explain why those transmissions last a million miles.

Likely for 2 main reasons.

1.  They're built for it.
2.  Trucks spend a vast majority of their time cruising along on the freeway.
2012 C14 Black

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2015, 10:31:44 AM »
Likely for 2 main reasons.

1.  They're built for it.
2.  Trucks spend a vast majority of their time cruising along on the freeway.

3. Not their truck, they will not have to pay for any repairs

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4