Author Topic: Transmission  (Read 11614 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Transmission
« on: June 28, 2015, 06:28:31 AM »
Do we have a constant mesh transmission?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

Re: Transmission
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 06:52:53 AM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 07:10:20 AM »
I upshift without a clutch about 90% (other than 1st, of course).  But rarely downshift without clutch.  Fred Harmon doesn't seem to like clutchless shifting.  I guess I am bad.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:20:33 AM »
I upshift without a clutch about 90% (other than 1st, of course).  But rarely downshift without clutch.  Fred Harmon doesn't seem to like clutchless shifting.  I guess I am bad.
+1
Odd that this came up because yesterday during my ride I was downshifting without clutch on a number of shifts. Takes a little more to get it right but doesn't feel as smooth as a clutched downshift I'll be using the clutch for downshifts. Up shifts, well I'm a old dog.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 01:45:49 PM »
If a truck driver used the clutch every time he shifted, his left leg would be bigger than his torso. The only time you use the clutch on a big truck is to start or stop. Explain why those transmissions last a million miles.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

sailor_chic

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 02:22:36 PM »
Does size matter? I tend to think so.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 02:30:34 PM »
Does size matter? I tend to think so.

I think proportion is the determining factor.  ::)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »
If not using the clutch can damage the transmission why does it work so easily without using it?  There's no grinding or gnashing of the gears.  It feels like cutting through butter.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »
If not using the clutch can damage the transmission why does it work so easily without using it?  There's no grinding or gnashing of the gears.  It feels like cutting through butter.

as was quoted before... " its all fun and games, 'till someone looses an eye...."

just sayin' if you want to tempt fate, and have never split cases, nor wish to, to fix damage....and have and endless reserve of money to repair what you destroy.... go rite ahead...... have a party in your pants, and do it.....
hey, people have gone over Niagra Falls in a barrel, and lived to tell about it.... next?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 04:49:19 PM »

I personally don't believe there is any extra wear when not using the clutch.... but that is only if it is done perfectly, every time.  And defining what is perfect is going to be a challenge.  I am far from perfect but, just the same, I am not going to start using the clutch for most of my upshifting.

PS- the person who taught me how to ride motorcycles (including clutchless upshifting) is my best friend.... he is not only a veteran rider, but also a racecar mechanic, a master transmission repairman, and a really smart and well-informed guy.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 04:54:57 PM »

^^^me too my friend, been working great for me for better than 105,000 miles now
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »
I'm telling you, Steve.  These Kawasaki's are just no good.  Around 250k miles, the transmission is just going to grenade on you.

sailor_chic

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 07:06:04 PM »
as was quoted before... " its all fun and games, 'till someone looses an eye...."

just sayin' if you want to tempt fate, and have never split cases, nor wish to, to fix damage....and have and endless reserve of money to repair what you destroy.... go rite ahead...... have a party in your pants, and do it.....
hey, people have gone over Niagra Falls in a barrel, and lived to tell about it.... next?

I was just at Niagara Falls today and actually thought about how people tried to go over the falls in a barrel. Funny you mentioned this today

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 07:06:47 PM »
Clutches? We don't need no stinking clutches.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »
US or Canadian side?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 09:53:27 PM »
U.S. side, of course.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 09:59:24 PM »
U.S. side, of course.

:rotflmao: :chugbeer:
Pretty sure he was responding to Sailor_chic

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 01:32:13 AM »
I was just at Niagara Falls today and actually thought about how people tried to go over the falls in a barrel. Funny you mentioned this today

glad you enjoyed that... ;)

I personally don't believe there is any extra wear when not using the clutch.... but that is only if it is done perfectly, every time.  And defining what is perfect is going to be a challenge.  I am far from perfect but, just the same, I am not going to start using the clutch for most of my upshifting.

PS- the person who taught me how to ride motorcycles (including clutchless upshifting) is my best friend.... he is not only a veteran rider, but also a racecar mechanic, a master transmission repairman, and a really smart and well-informed guy.

well,
p.s. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
I "personally don't believe you have repaired as many transmissions as I have" from people that "just didn't get that perfect shift" all the time...  yer pal may be good at it, but you are not him, and all in all do what you want....
it's all heresay, I been tought, I know how.. blahh blahhhh blahhh... you all say itr.

then BAMMMMMM

and ya won't come here then, admitting you screwed up, and or why.

I don't really care, I just want people that have no clue about bike longevity, to NOT listen to this, and NOT emulate all you experts, because they WILL make a mistake...and it will result in $$$$ on them... not you, but you will pay later, or the person you sell your bike to will pay....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..