Author Topic: For those that have recently sold their 2009+ Connie  (Read 12887 times)

Offline OregonLAN

Re: For those that have recently sold their 2009+ Connie
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 09:00:44 AM »
As with any bike, if it has removable farkles, make sure you pull them off and return the bike to stock before you sell it. Then, sell the farkles here and pocket the cash. Most buyer are buying into a new bike. They have no idea that the seat sucks or that the windshield offers inadequate wind protection. All they care about is getting a XYZ bike with less than XXX miles for the least amount of money. In fact, a lot of shoppers prefer working with a stock bike versus a farkled masterpiece.

Prior to my Concours, I had a "project bike" with over $15K in modifications to it. The bike booked out at $9.5K stock and I listed it for $12.5K with all the farkles included. Seems fair, right? For over a year I did not receive a single inquiry other than people looking to barter or wanting to test ride it. The next ridding season, I removed 95% of the farkles and sold them online. I pocketed over $6K for the farkles alone. I listed the bike on Craigs for $9K and had 4 people "battling" to buy the bike from me.  I sold the bike in 3 days for asking price. In the end, I made $2.5K more than I was asking for the whole package. Sure it was a little work, but I enjoy working on bikes...

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 09:09:36 AM »
As with any bike, if it has removable farkles, make sure you pull them off and return the bike to stock before you sell it. Then, sell the farkles here and pocket the cash. Most buyer are buying into a new bike. They have no idea that the seat sucks or that the windshield offers inadequate wind protection. All they care about is getting a XYZ bike with less than XXX miles for the least amount of money. In fact, a lot of shoppers prefer working with a stock bike versus a farkled masterpiece.

Prior to my Concours, I had a "project bike" with over $15K in modifications to it. The bike booked out at $9.5K stock and I listed it for $12.5K with all the farkles included. Seems fair, right? For over a year I did not receive a single inquiry other than people looking to barter or wanting to test ride it. The next ridding season, I removed 95% of the farkles and sold them online. I pocketed over $6K for the farkles alone. I listed the bike on Craigs for $9K and had 4 people "battling" to buy the bike from me.  I sold the bike in 3 days for asking price. In the end, I made $2.5K more than I was asking for the whole package. Sure it was a little work, but I enjoy working on bikes...

:goodpost:

I've bought/sold more than my fair share of cars and bikes (and my friends always ask me to help them buy/sell).  I always tell people that mods are worth basically $0 when included with the bike.  I don't pay "extra" for them when I buy a vehicle with them, and you shouldn't expect any extra for them if you're selling a vehicle with them.  It's better to return to stock and sell.  Sometimes I'll even tell people that their mod TAKES AWAY value in the eyes of the buyer.  The buyer may want to reduce their offer to account for the cost to return the vehicle to the "desired" condition, or even if they like the mod, a vehicle with "performance" mods is probably one that has been driven harder, and I factor that into my offer, as well.

With the exception of basic and tasteful mods (for example, tasteful window tint) I always encourage people to return vehicles to near-stock form and sell the mods separately.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »
I'm about to try that with my '08 with 25K.  No calls other than scammers at $7500 with farkles.   :o

Dave

Offline Pardini

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 01:26:31 AM »
The farkles were stripped and most sold on here in the last week or so.  Did get a couple of contacts at $8300 that want to take a look. 

I'm convinced the best way to get rid of a bike is to total it with full coverage.  I wasted my 08 Hayabusa and got $10,300 from the insurance Co. and it was pushing 50,000 miles.  No wait that's not quite right.....................Let's see, add to that about another $80K my health insurance paid out for the 20 some screws and 3 or 4 plates in my left arm to hold the 8 pieces of my humorous together and the brace on my broken neck.  No, no there's more, probably another $25K coming next week from the health insurance to take all that stuff back out.  Then who knows how much for a complete shoulder replacement down the road. 

I'm in the money!!!  LOL 'cept I haven't been able to work for almost the last 3 years.  Nope guess I'm in the hole.  All I got out of it is this really cool x ray.

Thanks for buying my farkles, helped make the mortgage payment this month.

Offline olie

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 05:36:44 AM »
What can I expect from the tradein of a gently used red 09 with 59k miles and the additional cash for a black 13?
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline texrider

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 06:47:42 AM »
What can I expect from the tradein of a gently used red 09 with 59k miles and the additional cash for a black 13?

Expect to be hosed to the tune of your bike plus ten grand.  ;D
2014 Valkyrie

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
Expect to be hosed to the tune of your bike plus ten grand.  ;D

+1...

I don't think many dealers want to try and sell a bike with that many miles on it from their floor, I'm not saying the bikes done, but just a tough market to sell into when there are so many low mile ones already out there they can't even sell, they'd most likely just wholesale it due to the miles...  :-\ 

As sad as it is, you could probably get more total $ for it if you parted it out, but that just seems wrong...  :(

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 05:02:48 PM »
....or totaled it....ssshhhh  :-X

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 06:19:11 PM »
here was my ad
I got my asking price in about a week
Reply craigslist reply address will appear here

Posted: 2012-06-22, 7:21PM PDT

RED CONCOURS 1400- 2009 - $9450 (San Jacinto)
Bike is located in So. Calif, (San Jacinto,) It doesn't get out much as we have been RVing lately so I have decided to sell my 09 red non ABS(the fastest and best color). It has just under 16000 miles and the 15000 mile service has been completed. which includes valve adjustment, plugs, air filter and all fluids changed, I also had the fuji nuts installed on the header pipe, the stock ones never came loose this was a precaution from others on the board. It has the extended Kawasaki warranty bought at the time I bought the bike and it is good until November 2016. So no worries for 4 1/2 more years. also both TPM units were replaced due to low battery warning so that is taken care of also.
It has J&M handlebar mounted CB unit, handle bar risers, with Phil's wedges, radiator guard, fender extender, Cee Bailey Ultra Tour domed windshield, Tulsa wind deflectors, saddleman seat, which is a LOT better than the stock seat, expandable tail bag, GPS bracket (GPS NOT included) Saddle bag key knobs, grip puppies go cruise throttle lock, tires have only a couple thousand miles on them. Bridhgestone 023 on the front and PR 3 on the rear. and probable a few things I for got to mention. This is a great running bike, I just don't ride it much any more. Asking $9450. wife wants a NEW RV.
 Title in hand. Call Joe 951-654-4518

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline olie

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 08:35:56 PM »
nice ad!!! ...and you've scored!!!

regarding the other comments above, they seem very pessimist. I just went to the dealer
I bought my 09 c14 and we are  $500 apart and I will keeps ALL the farkles removed by myself... more details tomorrow assuming I will cave the $500
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline olie

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »
that is official... I got a new Blue 13 and paid $7500+ TTL. I kept ALL the farkles installed on my old 09 except ....the 58,850 miles of fun. I am happy with the deal ;D
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline texrider

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 05:46:33 PM »
Not bad! Enjoy the new ride.  8)
It will be much smoother and less hassle to trade than it would have been to fuss around with a buyer for that five grand.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »
As a recent buyer, here is my experience: (note: I'm not writing this to diss the older models or any bike in particular, I'm just trying to give sellers an insight into a buyers mind)

I finally decided to move up from my old C10 to a C14. I usually buy slightly used cars and bikes because they are so much cheaper than new - I prefer to let someone else suffer the depreciation. In doing my research, I found that Big-K did a major upgrade in 2010 to address issues of heat, mirror placement, fuel economy, and added some previously optional accessories as standard. I read lots of user complaints about the heat, so it seemed like a serious problem. Unless it was dirt cheap, I didn't want the first generation model. (don't bother telling me that you don't mind the heat, you've found a fix, etc. I'm just relating what I saw online and how it affected my decision)

Sure you can add farkles to make the bike the way you want (I have), but you probably won't be changing the fairing to cure the heat problem, mirror location or add standard ABS, traction control, fuel economy mode, grip heaters, etc. I made the decision that if I was moving up, I wanted the '10 or newer.

Problem was, I didn't see many '10 or newer C14s for sale, the few I did were asking $11 ~ $12k or more. I did see lots of '08 and '09s, at various amounts of milage for $8 ~ $10K. So I started checking the dealers and saw that many had unsold '12s (the '13s had been out for a while). They were making deals to move the old iron off the showroom floor. The crux of the biscuit is: I got a brand new 2012 for $12,600 (that's just shy of 25% off MSRP, with no "dealer setup" or "shipping") and only slightly more than I was seeing for used '10 and up bikes.

So the long and short of it is, 2008 and 2009 models, especially with high miles, just aren't going to get the resale value they deserve (I know the bikes will regularly last 100,000 miles or more, but with so many used bikes with less than 10K on them, why would I buy one with more?). This is not a reflection on how good or bad '08 and '09s are, just a reflection on the fact that Kawa made big improvements in 2010, and there is a glut at the dealers that they are unloading cheap.

I totally agree with the previous posters who said to remove all the farkles and sell them separately. You get next to nothing for them, they really don't make the bike more valuable to anyone but you. There seems to be a good market on this and other forums for used parts (I've already bought a set of used risers), so you will make more money that way. When I add accessories, I keep all the original parts - that allows me to return the bike to stock when I'm ready to sell. Most buyers prefer a completely stock bike over a heavily modified one (after all, I want MY modifications, not YOURS), and I can always sell the aftermarket parts to get more of my money back.

Like I said, I'm not trying to speak badly of anyone's bike. I'm just trying to give prospective sellers an insight into how this buyer came to his decision.

Offline olie

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
RubiconMike, I do not want to turn this tread into a discussion about serious HEAT but I live in Austin TX, known to be a very hot place, and after ~59k miles in 4 1/2 years, I need to say that never was an issue with my 09 bike. Probably because I do not ride with shorts and flip-flops.
Also, after riding my new 13 model for about 100 miles, I do not see any advantage in the relocation of the mirrors. Meanwhile, I am looking forward to operate the heated grips but with 100F+ I will wait for short Winter.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline olie

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 02:47:39 PM »
Not bad! Enjoy the new ride.  8)
It will be much smoother and less hassle to trade than it would have been to fuss around with a buyer for that five grand.
yeap, no regrets or buyers' remorse.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline texrider

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
I put some demo miles on a '12 and really liked it. Some of the settings would take some getting used to, particularly the linked braking.
Heat from my '09 easily mitigated by removing the fairing foams, installing the '10 and up midpipe shield, removing the side fairing exit trims, and enlarging the holes on the lower fairings.
Mine is ABS, but I wouldn't mind having the traction control as well. Enjoy yours!  :)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 02:12:47 AM »
Just came back from a 300 mile ride today thru Kern County, Ca. and the Mojave Desert- temps were in the 110 range and no problem. I also took off the ugly side vent trims and the V&H CS-1 pipe comes with a mid-pipe shield. Really, anyone that says that heat is a problem on the original bikes is a pussy, or is wearing shorts, flip-flops, and a tube top.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 03:40:30 AM »
Well Kwak central thought it enough of a problem that they redesigned the heat management system for the 10+ bikes.  With that being said, though, my 08 isn't that bad but I have the heat management panels on both sides and heat shielding under the seat...  Some 08/09 bikes are worse than others.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline thundermax

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 08:14:24 AM »
Have had my 2009 abs for sale for six weeks now. Asking $7,999, no calls. Just a few $100 more than 2008 models and mine come with warranty.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/3857324842.html

UPDATE AUGUST 5, 2013. My black 2009 ABS with 19+k miles sold yesterday. Asked $7,999, got $7,900. Only had grip puppies and front fender extender on it. Good tires. Right buyer finally came along after I changed pictures on Craigslist. Old pictures were not working. Took better pictures and posted and 4 days later it sold.
Riding 46 years. In order, 1958 Cushman 721 Highlander, 1960 Cushman Super Eagle, 1971 Honda SL 100, 1974 Yamaha RD 350, 1975 Honda 750 Four, 1971 Honda SL 175, 1998 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2012 Kawasaki Concours Arabian Red.

Offline olie

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »
Well Kwak central thought it enough of a problem that they redesigned the heat management system for the 10+ bikes.  With that being said, though, my 08 isn't that bad but I have the heat management panels on both sides and heat shielding under the seat...  Some 08/09 bikes are worse than others.
my only mod that could have affected the heat it was a Remus Hex pipe. I did it for the sound, the weight and the looks...  probably did help to dissipate the heat.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette