Author Topic: New owner, couple questions  (Read 13193 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: New owner, couple questions
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 04:33:32 AM »
Thanks, Max.  I guess I'm just not used to seeing that amount of vapor coming off the hot parts, I do live in the desert.  I think the dewpoint was very high today which probably formed more steam.

Yeah, what Max said. Plus when you ride the bike after riding in the rain you'll get a burnt oil smell coming up from the headers.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 04:35:37 AM »
I've always thought it smelled like burnt fall leaves....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 04:40:04 AM »
I've always thought it smelled like burnt fall leaves....

That was the leaves stuck to your exhaust.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 04:59:07 AM »
oh..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 05:41:10 AM »
Why would you leave the engine running while you wash the bike?    :o

This is what I was taught.  Supposedly it prevents water from keeping the bike from starting (that is probably way old school), it allows the windshield to be operated for washing, and it helps to dry faster.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 06:06:59 AM »
Why would you wash the bike?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 08:15:40 AM »

+1 Good point, it takes away from riding time.  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 08:23:27 AM »
Why would you leave the engine running while you wash the bike?    :o

^^^^^fixed  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 09:06:44 AM »
This is what I was taught.  Supposedly it prevents water from keeping the bike from starting (that is probably way old school), it allows the windshield to be operated for washing, and it helps to dry faster.

I don't see the logic but anyways...

I raise the shield before I start washing and she dries off plenty fast at 80mph.    8)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 09:07:32 AM »

Gives me something to do while I'm drinking my beer.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »

:goodpost: :chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »

I can find better things to do while drinking beer than to wash a bike.  But, what the heck, I'll come over to your house and drink beer while you wash your bike.  Should be good entertainment.  I'll provide commentary.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 01:51:52 PM »
I can find better things to do while drinking beer than to wash a bike.  But, what the heck, I'll come over to your house and drink beer while you wash your bike.  Should be good entertainment.  I'll provide commentary.

You're on! After enough beers you'll be up washing your bike as well Jim.   

:chugbeer:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 03:02:10 PM »
After enough beers, you should be having the women folk out washing the bikes.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 03:55:12 PM »

Well, I rode 20 minutes through a storm last night (and got surprisingly not terribly wet, myself).  It helps, but clean is better.

I like my things sparkly and clean.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
I don't see the logic but anyways...

Like I said, it is mostly a holdover from older bikes.  Hot engine means ignition area and such are all hot and less likely to "foul" with water.

I raise the shield before I start washing

On the 2nd Gen bikes, the windshield will immediately go down as soon as you turn off the ignition (unless you want to drain the battery).  Not sure if your gen 1 is the same...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »
The superior Gen 1 stays where we put it. Doesn't the gen2 have a two finger salute for the windshield problem?

Flathead

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »
Like I said, it is mostly a holdover from older bikes.  Hot engine means ignition area and such are all hot and less likely to "foul" with water.

On the 2nd Gen bikes, the windshield will immediately go down as soon as you turn off the ignition (unless you want to drain the battery).  Not sure if your gen 1 is the same...

Max, before you turn off the ignition hold the up button for the windshield while turning off the ignition. It will stay right where ya put it :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »
The superior Gen 1 stays where we put it.

I don't consider staying put a superior feature.  I very much like it going down when I turn it off so it will fit in the CycleShell

Doesn't the gen2 have a two finger salute for the windshield problem?

Not sure what you mean, but I will quote the manual:

Electric Windshield - “WINDSHIELD SET”
This setting menu can be used to set the initial position of the windshield. The initial position of the windshield can be selected from 4 standard positions.  When the engine starts, the windshield moves to the set position automatically.

1 Bottom Position (Basic Position)
2 Middle Position
3 3/4 from Bottom Position
4 Top Position

When the ignition switch is turned to the "OFF" position, the windshield automatically moves to the "basic" (bottom) position. Be sure nobody is adjacent to the windshield when switching the ignition to "OFF."

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »
Max, before you turn off the ignition hold the up button for the windshield while turning off the ignition. It will stay right where ya put it :)

Sounds like the perfect solution.  Is that documented?  I can't find that in the manual...