Author Topic: New owner, couple questions  (Read 13192 times)

Offline lonekazoo

New owner, couple questions
« on: April 25, 2013, 11:22:30 PM »
Have a couple of questions that I couldn't find in a search, so posing them to the group.

I recently sold my '01 C10 and picked up a nicely cared for '08 C14.

Upon a cold start, I hear 1 or 2 seconds of a worrisome clashing noise that immediately goes away.  I'm hoping it's a cam chain tensioner or such.  Doesn't happen so much on subsequent starts.  Is this typical? 

Also regarding cold starts, I'm familiar with the behavior of the ZX14 motor--on a cold start the RPM's initially rise about 1K above idle for about 1 minute and then gradually return to normal idle speed.  I've heard this on other C14's as well.  On my bike, it starts and stays at idle speed with no warm-up cycle.  I know the previous owner pulled the flies.  Are the butterflies responsible for the fast idle warm-up cycle?  If this is the case, is it a good idea to physically increase RPM's briefly to get oil pressure up?

Thanks!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: New owner, couple questions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:02:08 AM »
Yep, noisy almost tractor sound for a few seconds on cold start is due to cam chain tensioner is normal.

Can't say about initial startup fast idle as my fly's are still in.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:25:40 AM »
Secondaries are not relevant to warmup. Idle set at 1100-1200 seems to work well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 05:30:04 AM »
Secondaries are not relevant to warmup. Idle set at 1100-1200 seems to work well.

I remember reading that the secondaries are wide open at cold start and then snap mostly closed at some point after fast idle.  So they don't do anything at initial start, but are involved in some way afterward.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:07:29 AM »
Yep, noisy almost tractor sound for a few seconds on cold start is due to cam chain tensioner is normal.

Ok, thanks!  That's good to know.  I'm in that early stage of thinking "should I have bought new" and "is this noise the reason he sold it cheap?"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:13:18 PM »
Some bikes have the noise, some don't. I have it mine.  Mine makes the noise.  Max cranked his bike up last night and I didn't hear it all on his.  Nice looking bike by the way, even if it is the wrong silver color.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:13:43 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »
Some bikes have the noise, some don't.  I have it mine.  Max cranked his bike up last night and I didn't hear it all on his.  Nice looking bike by the way, even if it is the wrong silver color.

Max who?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
Maxtog.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
Maxtog.

No kidding, I am sure that was interesting.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »
Using Jims verbage, I "haven't it mine"  Once I switched to the K&N filter the noise went away, I "have it mine" before ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 02:43:22 PM »
Welcome, and you will love you KiPass  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline texrider

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »
Try holding the clutch lever in while starting, you may find it's quieter and not so much clunk into gear the first time.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »
Some bikes have the noise, some don't.  I have it mine.  Max cranked his bike up last night and I didn't hear it all on his.  Nice looking bike by the way, even if it is the wrong silver color.

Yep no noise- but it is the RIGHT silver color- true silver!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 04:04:56 PM »
No kidding, I am sure that was interesting.  ;)

Indeed!  I am an interesting person.  Nice meeting VirginiaJim!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »
Indeed!  I am an interesting person.  Nice meeting VirginiaJim!

I am interesting as well "ask Jim" and yeah he is good people!!!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 07:15:34 AM »
Using Jims verbage, I "haven't it mine"  Once I switched to the K&N filter the noise went away, I "have it mine" before ;)

I'm a master of the King's english!  K&N didn't help me.

And you had to quote me twice?   :doh:

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »
Thanks for the responses!

Another quick question:  I commuted home in heavy rain for the first time today, and every time I stopped, a steady flow of steam rose from the fairing openings, fogging up my instruments and windshield.  Is this just a case of high humidity/high dewpoint?   My C10 never did anything like this.  I'm sure passersby thought I was overheating, and it was really disconcerting to me.   Worried I might be missing a fairing shroud or baffle somewhere and that water is getting somewhere it shouldn't.

One thing different from stock is that the previous owner wrapped the headers,  does that cause extra steam?  Should I be worried??

Thanks again!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
Thanks for the responses!

Another quick question:  I commuted home in heavy rain for the first time today, and every time I stopped, a steady flow of steam rose from the fairing openings, fogging up my instruments and windshield.  Is this just a case of high humidity/high dewpoint?

It is just water pouring onto the hot radiator and headers.  It is normal and will do the same thing when you wash the bike with the engine running.

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »
It is just water pouring onto the hot radiator and headers.  It is normal and will do the same thing when you wash the bike with the engine running.

Thanks, Max.  I guess I'm just not used to seeing that amount of vapor coming off the hot parts, I do live in the desert.  I think the dewpoint was very high today which probably formed more steam.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 04:31:32 AM »

Why would you leave the engine running while you wash the bike?    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn