Author Topic: New tires needed  (Read 14614 times)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: New tires needed
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »

You change your oil and tires on your C14 every 2 weeks??  ??? 
During the Summer, You bet! ;)

You guys ride you bikes, Don't cha?
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »
Don't call BS on Me...

Did You ride today?
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 06:58:04 PM »
Don't call BS on Me...

Did You ride today?

Yep, 10 miles to work and 10 miles back home... Ok, you're right, I am a loser, just had to type that to know it...  :(   :'( 

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
Don't call BS on Me...

Did You ride today?

Not as much as you must have.....

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2011, 05:32:32 PM »
I am riding my bike everyday. 150 miles round trip. I have taken the car twice in 4.5 months. Because I needed too many tools on the same day. I have 9400 miles on my 2010 blue that I picked up in January. The tires are toasted and I have "MURPHS" PR3s in the garage trying to find someone to put them on for me. I hit over 100 everyday and would keep up with ya. Maybe you just brake harder than some of us. Or burnouts. I'll probably be hitting over 10,000 on the stockers if I don't find someone soon. I have to keep rolling.
Joel from Maine.

Offline olie

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2011, 07:38:28 AM »
........ I'll probably be hitting over 10,000 on the stockers if I don't find someone soon. I have to keep rolling.
be sure you ride safely my friend. Tires are cheap, medical bills are very expensive...
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
Took my last trip.
Tires are getting installed Monday or Tuesday.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »
This thread hasn't been posted on since May, but I'll throw this out there.
As of today, I've got over 14,000 miles on my PR2's.  Yes My commute is 29 miles, one-way, and most of it is freeway travel.
There are a couple spots where I get to actually TURN (curves), and I'm usually well above the posted speed limit to at least try and get some wear on the sides of my tires.
Here's a pic of the rear tire- the front tire still looks great!  I am very impressed with these tires.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2011, 10:12:33 AM »
...correction- this thread HAS been in use- my mistake, I don't know what I was looking at...
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
Nice tread left!
I just put the PR3s on and it's like riding a new bike. I can't wait to see how many miles they can get. I had around 17,000 miles on my old PR3s.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 10:03:05 PM »
Congrats, my PR3's handled the desert tundra "plugged"!

and before that the PR3's handled the Rocky mountain snow  in July (plugged!)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline comet

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2011, 02:36:50 AM »
I'm about 2500 miles into a set of PR3s (replaced Dunlop RoadSmarts- another good choice).

Just last week, I had a chance to REALLY see what the "wet weather" tread was about on my way into work. It was dry out, and traffic was moving along at a pretty good clip. The last road before I hit the freeway is a posted 40mph 4 lane (read that as 50mph traffic), and the intersection to the on ramp has a three minute duration light.

That said, if I'm anywhere NEAR that light when it turns yellow, I'm more than willing to bump it up a bit, rather than wait it out. The road approach to the intersection is a downhill run, with a sharp left onto the onramp.

No cars in front of me, and at a distance I judged I could barely make it--the light turned yellow. I grabbed some throttle on the way down the hill under the overpass and took the left at the light... I was doing about 55 in a hard lean..

Then I saw it. There was a six foot wide RIVER of water runoff running parallel to the road I was leaving-- cutting directly across my path..  I briefly imagined low siding the C14 as I fully expected the tires to skip to the outside of the corner. Pucker factor was setting in...

Then I hit the water and the bike just tracked! There was no skid, no drama. The PR3s held the line and carried through the water like it wasn't there!

Sorry about the long post, and I don't want to sound like a shill for Michelin-- but after that experience, I am a PR3 believer. Best tire choice I've tried so far...   

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2011, 04:21:32 PM »
Good post Comet. No one will know for sure until it's done, and no one in their right mind is going to do a whole lot of 50-80 mph puddle cornering tests willingly.
Steve I like that large duffle bag on the passenger seat. Is it waterproof? I've looked at some real waterproof bags, but they are $150.00.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2011, 07:49:51 AM »
Just replaced my 9,000 mile rear PR3 with a new one.
Old one was bald in the middle and on the wear bars at ⅓ from the centre.

The difference between the old and the new?
Well, it doesn't mind white lines and tar-snakes now and leaning is easier.
The old one still gripped in the wet and was confidence inspiring right to the end.

Front is still going strong and should make over 12,000 miles.

I am 370lbs and I "cruise" at 90Mph. I have a very heavy right hand and redline her regularly.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK