Author Topic: Tire Plugs  (Read 28335 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Tire Plugs
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »
Ok, it finally happened. Going for a quick breakfast ride with a buddy early this morning to beat the 100+ heat and saw the dreaded red light on the dash, then the display started telling me I had a low rear tire. As I slowed and pulled over (from about 85 mph), the display dropped from the 42 psi it had when I left the house to 35, 32, 29, etc.

Pulled over and found a small piece of brown, probably beer bottle, glass had punctured the PR3 right in one of the wide tread grooves an inch-and-a-half off center. Buddy turned around and came back, saw the issue, then headed home to get his truck and ramps. Luckily there was a little shade from some Cedar trees along the side of the road (Hwy 180 west of Palo Pinto) where I spent the next 45 minutes. Tire was FLAT by the time he got back.

Anyway, got it home and plugged the tire. Now, what to do? (And no, I haven't done a forum search yet.  :-[)

The tire has 4,002 miles on it. Very slight flattening in the center and is still a fair piece from the wear bars. (See the attached pics of "flat" spot and the center wear bar.) I really hate to toss a tire with this much tread left, but sounds like the general concensus among the "experts" is to get a new tire.

If this topic hasn't been beat to death in another thread, how about you guys giving me your opinions?

'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Tire Plugs
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »
I'd plug it and forget it, if I was just commuting on it. But if I was gonna ride the twisties aggressively, I'd get a fresh tire.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 01:10:35 PM »
I would NOT try to plug an irregular cut from anything except in an emergency. I would plug and run a round type puncture without much worry. Damage from a cut could let air between the plies even though the plug is holding air. JMHO

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:18:57 PM »
as mentioned, there is a difference between a "nail-puncture" and a "debris-slice", which in my opinion dictates using the glue plug only to get the bike home, and rely on either an internal patch, or an internally applied plug. both may fail though, depending on the slice damage.

4000 miles is not considered as low on these tires, they have a habit of accelerating weear surprisingly more rapid from that pointon, so you might find the tire may only make it another 2k more.

most of us had a hard time getting 6k out of the PR2's, and the last 1k went from pretty much what your tire looks like now, to unusably worn.

just food for thought. ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline JMills

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »
I had a similar issue on my C14 last week.  Unfortunately I did not have a truck available.  Kept stopping for air until I bought a plug kit.  I replaced the tire even though it only had around 4000 miles.  Need to get an emergency air pump so I could have saved the tire.
2010 Connie ABS

Offline texrider

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 02:55:02 PM »
Just scrap it. A plug or patch will fail you at the worst time possible... Murphy's Law.

Good time to spoon on a fresh '55

I just finished that exact little chore. ;-)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »
I'm a big proponent of plugs because my new tires tend to be nail magnets, but I wouldn't recommend it for a glass puncture. It probably wouldn't plug properly and you'd end up with a slow leak. 4000 miles is enough for me to go for a new one.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »
I ran from the Rockies to LA to Tampa on a plug named Jill on my C14  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »
Since it wasn't a nail puncture, I'm going to get a new tire. The plug has held air all day today, so I'm thinking of riding in to get a new one. But, it's almost 90 miles of highway to my dealer of choice, Grapevine Kawasaki. Going to call them tomorrow to see what the drive in/out price would be so that I can compare to the Cycle Gear carry-in price. Will also get the carry-in price.

I looked back at what I spent at G.C. at the end of January for a full set, drive in/out price. I spent $454 with them doing all the work. Rear (50) was $188 + $15 for tax and $55 for disposal fee, balance, installation, etc.

When I was looking in January, the closer dealer, Kawasaki West, wanted nearly $300 just for the rear tire alone, plus all the extras for tax, mounting, etc. They were rediculously high back then, but I will probably check them again since they're only 55 miles away and are advertising online that all street tires are on sale for $20 over cost.

For comparison, I called Cycle Gear today and the same tire is $223 + $20 to mount and balance, plus whatever taxes/fees. That's almost the exact same thing I paid the dealer in January and they did all the work. Checked Murph's today and they're $215. Have the price of these tires gone up in the last six months?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline JerBear

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
I agree with you reasoning, glass slice is harder to effectively plug than a nail pucture.  I think oil prices effect tire prices and they are getting higher. 

I just replaced my rear tire with a PR3 55 profile and it was about $250 carry-in price.  I think they charge way too much to remove the wheel and I know the splines get proper lube and the rest is done right too. 

2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 05:03:57 AM »
I have two plugs (from simple nail punctures) in my rear PR2 now and I'm not going to worry about it. A slice is a different story...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 05:53:18 AM »
I would have no problem with a PATCH.  These have to be done by taking the tire off.  But with over 4,000 miles, if you are going to pay someone (unless you can do it yourself) to dismount the tire and patch it from the inside, I'd replace the tire.

I would never consider a PLUG for more than just emergency use to get you home.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 08:35:22 AM »
I've plugged many car and motorcycle tires and never had an issue.  With nail and screw punctures.

Last year though I had a slice puncture, and I plugged it with a gas station special plug kit (all I could round up) and it didn't hold.  I ended up having to have a very expensive tow to get home.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
If you decide to plug the tire, you’ll always be wondering “will it hold, when will it fail, etc…”. Some people have had success with a plug, yet the “experts” as you put it, say get a new tire.  Your confidence level in the plug repair and more importantly your safety should be the deciding factor.  Just saying.

IMHO…If your weekend riding style are in the twisties – get a new tire. If you’re a daily local commuter – give the plug a try, monitor the pressure, ride close to home so you can make it back safely.

Now just talking crazy…. based on the type of hole, if one plug works, can two work better?  I used two on a car tire, never on a MC. Maybe carry a can of green slime for a quick tire repair to get to you home if the plug fails.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline danl

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 06:45:07 AM »
I have a nail in my front tire. It's not losing any air at all. I have no idea how long it's been in there but it's pretty ground off. The tire is a PR3 with about 11k miles on it and a good amount of tread left. The nail is right in the center of the tread. Easily pluggable, but I'm leaning towards replacement. I just can't trust a plug for long term use. Getting me home from a flat on the road is 1 thing.

Am I being paranoid about this? Would you guys plug it and keep on riding or replace the tire?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 06:47:27 AM »
A front with 11k I'd replace it.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 06:57:58 AM »
A front with 11k I'd replace it.

+1 here... But I'd plug it regardless if it's loosing air or not and make replacement as soon as it is convenient.

I don't mind riding on a well plugged rear tire but would have trouble trusting a plugged front tire with 11K+ on the clock.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline texrider

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 07:16:30 AM »
My experience has also been that a plug may hold for awhile in a newer tire with lower miles on it, but the carcass gets too flexy when well used, and they'll leak or eject the plug. Replace it.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 07:23:44 AM »
Plug it and go.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 08:30:06 AM »
If worried, replace, no sense riding around waiting on a flat.  11k and she should be getting somewhat close to replacement and based on some rider reports you should be riding on the rims :)  With that kind of mileage I am not sure a plug would hold all that long, if you really want to keep the tire get er patched.

Me personally?  Based soley on the mileage I'd replace her.  A pic sure would help give a more informed opinion.