Author Topic: B-52 MITO Departure.....Minot AFB ND  (Read 2309 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
B-52 MITO Departure.....Minot AFB ND
« on: June 20, 2012, 04:40:10 AM »
Minimum Interval Take Off alert practice at Minot AFB....Got me teary eyed....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ7niLYSVFo&feature=related
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ugocon

Re: B-52 MITO Departure.....Minot AFB ND
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 04:56:49 AM »
Impressive!  :o

I always loved the B-52: great design!

I remember when I was a kid during the Vietnam War they were daily cited in the news for bombing the Ho Chi Minh trail!
History tells us now that it has been a huge but useless work...

Anyway, together with the B747, the B-52 is one of my favorite planes ever!
 :)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 05:09:47 AM »
They're more a weapons platform now, than a conventional bomber as we think of in the past.   There are only two bases left of these, Minot in ND and Barksdale in LA.  I had the pleasure of being a child at Westover AFB in the mid-60s, which was the largest AFB in the country at the time.  It was also during the Cold War so there were constant comings and goings and many of the aircraft were on constant alert with the engines idling.  It was a marvelous time.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 05:12:53 AM »
When I was about 12 or 13 waiting at the end of the driveway for the school bus, one of these came over low and slow, testing radar, I was told. They are impressive & loud.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 06:21:51 AM »
Nice!

I'm an air force vet, always nice seeing this stuff
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:30:55 AM »
Very cool! My brother was a nav on the H model in the 70's. First at Kinchloe then Ellsworth. He has described the alert process and a fast scramble but I have never seen it until this video. It may be that he's never seen it either, only experienced it from the dark closet with the navigator's seat.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »
I lost count of the number of bombers the got off in 10 minutes. Very impressive. This capability denies another country with perhaps the exception of Canada a first strike capability on us. Before a missile could hit Minot all those birds with all of there nuclear capability could be off and safely away. That would give anybody pause.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »
I don't think we need to worry about our Canadian neighbours, with whom relations are quite good at the moment.   This MITO alert was 'planned'.  It would be interesting to see how they would fare under a surprise alert like they did back in the SAC days in the 50's and 60's under Generals like LeMay, Power, Ryan, and Nazzaro.  Heads would roll if they weren't, especially under LeMay.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 11:19:53 AM »
I had a great time visiting the Air Force Museum for a second day today.  The air power on display is impressive.

The B-52 that you can see is massive up close and personal.

Pix later if you to see. Riding home from Dayton, OH to Greenfield, WI this afternoon. stopped in Greenfield, IN outside Indy for lunch.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
I'm heading out there in July.  I see it every year and I am a Foundation member as well.  Just got my memorial Legacy Plate to my dad installed on the wall.  Going there to take a picture.  For anyone going out to the Museum, you really need two days to take it all in.  It's the 8th Wonder of the World IMHO and it's free....except for the Imax.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123303639  (Legacy Plates)

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/full/tour-std.html  (Virtual Tour)