Author Topic: Spoiled  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Spoiled
« on: June 06, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »
I believe that our society, as a whole, has gotten spoiled. We expect too much and appreciate far too little.

Nearly 40 years ago I got my first full time gig as a professional mechanic. I was working on cars and trucks from the 60s and 70s. At 100k, they were USED UP. Done. Standard shocks. Bias ply tires. Points style ignition systems. And we were THRILLED to drive them. Shovelhead Harleys. XS Yamahas. CB Hondas. That was state of the art. And it was GOOD.

Now, motorcycles that go 150 mph, variable valve timing, tetra link suspension that is preloaded and rebound adjustable, power windshields, and grip heaters. And some whine and puke about what the bikes DON'T have. Seriously?? What the hell?

I work harder today than I did 40 years ago and have far less free time. The next time I am FORTUNATE enough to ride my motorcycle, I am going to enjoy every litte thing that it IS and not worry a bit about what it ISN'T.

Just my .02
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Spoiled
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 12:11:35 PM »
No doubt.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 02:42:52 PM »
id gladly work on my 1978 KZ1000, or my 1987 Concours, any day of the week, over working on anything on my C14, not saying I need to work on the 14, its perfect, and designed to be that way for a long time....

some folks just have to whine about having more horsepower, and have disposable incomes to farkle an already great machine, and when they get bored.... they sell it... I work on machines to keep them running, not to have a list on how much money I dumped on it.... if I wanted to pour money into a hole, id own a boat... which is a hole in the water that you fill with cash, and never get back 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 05:49:58 PM »
.... if I wanted to pour money into a hole, id own a boat... which is a hole in the water that you fill with cash, and never get back 8)

You know MOB after working the last 30 plus years on boat/tugs/barges I will agree that anything that floats is an absolute money hole.... BUT after buying a relatively slow ass pontoon boat last year I will tell you that there is little I enjoy more than getting out on the lake and going for a ride.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 06:59:34 PM »
You know MOB after working the last 30 plus years on boat/tugs/barges I will agree that anything that floats is an absolute money hole.... BUT after buying a relatively slow ass pontoon boat last year I will tell you that there is little I enjoy more than getting out on the lake and going for a ride.....

I truely hate you T....
besides, that ain't a boat... its barely a raft, with an engine....

just kidding...
my whitewater freighter 17' Grumman canoe it sitting out back right now... last time it got a sticker on it was 2000....
bastich.

sweet, hope you tought the puppy to drive tho...
 8)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 07:03:46 PM »
B.O.A.T.

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 07:33:34 PM »
living on lake Erie has its ups and dwns, I've never sse more cheapskates anywheres, I call COG'rs frugal, but boat owners are sooooo bad.
I've worked on engines scrimping on parts bhdgets that made a Rambler look like a Rolls Royce for pennies.. damned cheap boat people. I reworked a wooden ChrisCraft 32 footer back in the mid '90's, replacing hull wood, deck wood, rails, and major engine work on the twin 327's, and on the maiden voyage out into the lake, had to put $300 into the fueltanks for the owner, to get my "free dinner" for the payment... meh....
everytime I stepped foot on that boat, to go anywhere, it cost me money to go somewheres.. bastiche.

I think he sold it finally, as I've not heard a peep outta him since.. must have bought an aluminum boat.... ooooh those don't cost that much.... like non anodic paint, and big buck parts for those engines...

bah, humbug....
 I like my canoe.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 07:55:44 PM »
B.O.A.T.

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Yes there is truth in what you speak.... Can't hardly look at the boat without pulling another Benjamin out of the wallet... But I was the same with my Concours.... Only the Concours did not haul 4 or more souls, nor did it have 11 drink holders and room for a cooler full of craft beer and 3 dogs either...

I wet slip my boat in our comminity marina so it is only  a couple minutes away and the lake we live on is 35K acres with over 800 miles of mostly unspoiled shoreline yet has over 16 marinas to be found and ranked in order of who has the best chicken wings.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 08:04:24 PM »
Nice!

I had a party barge for a few years and when we live near the lake, it was great. Spent 9 days exploring Lake Powell. Good times. Moved and ended up selling it .

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 06:37:26 AM »
.... if I wanted to pour money into a hole, id own a boat... which is a hole in the water that you fill with cash, and never get back 8)

Funny.  Here's my latest project (into the second season now).  Just been picking at it.  Haven't spent too much.  Repainted inside all white with exterior house paint and Rustoleum.  Pulled the carpet, put down new plywood, and painted it with grey floor paint.  Been spending too much time going to the beach lately.  Just started to rebuild the dock last night so I have somewhere to tie it up instead of pulling it out each time (which I ain't going to do).

Oh yeah ... the stereo works!
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 06:53:38 AM »
Does it EVER get warm there? June and you still have snow!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 07:03:39 AM »
Does it EVER get warm there? June and you still have snow!

This past winter.  I live in Northern VA just south of DC.  It supposed to be 88 with 90% humidity.  It will feel REAL nice about lunch time.  I live on a marsh so the humidity is usually exceptionally high.  I started building an 8x8 floating platform last night.  Hopefully I will finish it and float it in the water tonight.  Then I have to jet the piles in....
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington