Author Topic: Diagnose this sound  (Read 5513 times)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Re: Diagnose this sound
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
You haven't had to deal with the "h" word yet.

Some people just maintain things very well, they just gas n go.

Looks like you may have gotten one of those.

My bike is sitting in garage right now with 162,000 miles on it. It is dead on reliable. I'm headed 500 miles up to the RWTW this week, prolly 1,500 for the weekend. The bike, as it sits, is ready for an Alaska run. I maintain it.

Don't even mention hydrolock... Hopefully with the new petcock the risk of that will be reduced.  I just don't know how clogged up the carbs have gotten; the bike has been sitting for 3 months now because I haven't had time to work on it until now.  Don't know if running a few tanks with Seafoam through them once I get everything buttoned up (if ever) will be enough, or if I'll have to take them out and clean them.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 08:37:13 PM »
You might have to take off the lower side plastic so the welder can get to where it needs welding, make sure you tell who ever is welding to be careful and not melt any wires under the fairing, i brought a roll of tinfoil with me to cover wires be he did not use it and i was worried while watching him being close to some wires but it turned out ok.

you probably know this already but you will have to remove the gas tank before he can weld and make sure you clean up any spilled gas that will happen when you remove the fuel hose.

NOTE: if its welded like i had mine done then you wont be able to remove the fairing without cutting threw the weld, in order to do a good job he had to weld the nuts around the fairing mainstay. but i don't ever intend to remove it anyway, the middle nut and bolt was still there but part of the mainstay brace was cracking, it was only a matter of one more good bump and i would have been eating the pavement after running over the entire fairing. i don't want my fairing falling off in front of me at 70mph.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »
I found my old post, here is some ideas about the fairing, there is some good photo's to at this link and here is a few of my weld pics.

sorry but i only have a very cheap camera  ::)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3278.msg37926#msg37926

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 09:51:22 PM »
Unfortunatelty it's not my mainstay that's broken, it's the right antler right behind the right side of the speedometer.  It snapped clean just above one of the bolts that holds the instrument assembly on.  So this is in a harder to reach area than the mainstay.  FML.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 08:21:45 AM »
your right that is a hard place to get to, i'm not sure how one would go about fixing that without removing the fairing. perhaps just removing the windshield and dash/instrument cluster would be enough room to get a welder in there, gosh i just don't know.