Author Topic: Fuel filter location  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Gottaride

Fuel filter location
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:53:29 PM »
Just rebuilt the carbs. Float level check tonight. Installing clear Motion Pro fuel line, Napa fuel filter Gold #3006 the one that everybody here uses with the 90 degree outlet. Also installing a new OEM petcock and separate in line shut off between petcock and filter.

I`ve installed the filter to the carb intake using as short a section of pipe as possible. The filter sits right on top of the slider cover. I`ve seen a few photos of the same or very similar filter attached using a longer section of fuel hose. This sets the filter further away from the slider cover and perhaps lowers the filter in order to get a less restricted gravity feed. I`m well aware of the need to avoid fuel starvation and improper filter location being a common cause.  maybe if needed the 90 outlet on the filter could be cut (if long enough) to convert the filter outlet to a straight out. Have to check if it's long enough.

Not using a filter is not an option IMHO so what works for you guys?
1994 C-10 California model

Offline JDM

Re: Fuel filter location
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »
I think you will be alright. If it were me I would run 3/8" fuel line from the petcock to a 3/8" filter.  the 3/8' fuel line will fit over the petcock outlet just fine. and if you will use a piece of 5/16" Tygon tubing from the filter to the carbs it will stretch over the filter outlet as well.   HTH 
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Re: Fuel filter location
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »
Just rebuilt the carbs. Float level check tonight. Installing clear Motion Pro fuel line, Napa fuel filter Gold #3006 the one that everybody here uses with the 90 degree outlet. Also installing a new OEM petcock and separate in line shut off between petcock and filter.

I`ve installed the filter to the carb intake using as short a section of pipe as possible. The filter sits right on top of the slider cover. I`ve seen a few photos of the same or very similar filter attached using a longer section of fuel hose. This sets the filter further away from the slider cover and perhaps lowers the filter in order to get a less restricted gravity feed. I`m well aware of the need to avoid fuel starvation and improper filter location being a common cause.  maybe if needed the 90 outlet on the filter could be cut (if long enough) to convert the filter outlet to a straight out. Have to check if it's long enough.

Not using a filter is not an option IMHO so what works for you guys?

NAPA also has a straight filter.  I think the number is 3011.  It's the one I use and it works fine too.  I think it's for 1/4 and 5/16 inch lines, you just have to snip off the 1/4 part.