Author Topic: Seafoam - How Much and How Often?  (Read 9634 times)

Offline iMotoPilot

Seafoam - How Much and How Often?
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:54:05 AM »
Being from south Texas, we have the luxury of year round riding.  But I have heard some good things from using Seafoam.  My question is how much of the good stuff do I use and how often?

Happy New Year to all my fellow Connie Riders!

BTW:  I have a 1994 Connie with about 35k miles on her.
Lucky has got me this far and tricky will get me in.   apc

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Seafoam - How Much and How Often?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »
Uh...read the instructions?  :)
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:26:32 AM »
 Another suggestion along the same subject.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4018.msg46464#msg46464
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline F-106

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »
I run 2 cans a year. One every 6 months. 1/2 a can per fillup. It will keep help keep the carbs clean but it is not the cure for everything. If you are having carbs issues Seafoam MIGHT help to a point. the best way is have SISF do your carbs and you will be set.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:27:12 PM by F-106 »
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:24:43 AM »
1/2 can in a full tank here.  Also my dry gas/MMO cocktail on a 1/4 tank and run bike on reserve to use up the bottom of the gas tank where water seems to hide. 
The northern bikes get the cocktail, ran almost empty, then filled up w/STABIL for the winter.
This has worked for me many years and even my 30+ y/o bikes gas tanks have "0" rust in them.

Offline iMotoPilot

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:57:54 AM »
Excellent information everyone. 

Thanks!
Lucky has got me this far and tricky will get me in.   apc

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
When I bought my 99 it had carb trouble because it had been sitting around for months.  I filled up the tank with fresh gas and dumped an entire can of Seafoam in the tank.  I then rode it for about 90 miles and then let it sit over night with the solution in the carbs.  I then road the next day to finish off the tank, filled again with fresh gas, and it now ran great.  I now run Seafoam at 1 oz per gallon, per instructions, anytime I think the bike will sit more than a week and I've not had any more problems with the carbs. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 07:26:06 AM »
Just run 2 oz. of TC-W3 2-stroke oil in every tank and forget about it. 8)
2004 C10 RIP

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 07:29:42 AM »

+1 on TCW3. About $12 a gal when I bought it last yr at walmart. Super Tech TCW-3.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
Just run 2 oz. of TC-W3 2-stroke oil in every tank and forget about it. 8)

I'll have to try this.  It's a lot less expensive than Seafoam. 
COG #548

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »
  TCW-3 is not a cleaner per se. It's really a preventative to keeps carbs from clogging up. It is also suppose to reduce carbon buildup.

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »
  TCW-3 is not a cleaner per se. It's really a preventative to keeps carbs from clogging up. It is also suppose to reduce carbon buildup.

Use Seafoam to clean things up and TCW-3 to keep them that way? 
COG #548

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 07:08:48 PM »
  Haven't used Seafoam since I cleaned my carbs a couple of yrs ago. TCW-3 seems to keep the carbs fron getting gunked up from varnish. Some think ethanol may be causing problems also. SiSF swears by it. Good enough for me!

Offline Texanrider

• There's no excuse for what I am about to do...
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »
I drop about 1 oz of seafoam every other tankfull. After I pulled and cleaned the carbs, running a little bit of seafoam every other tank has helped the bike a lot. Just my .02 cents
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Summit670

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 06:00:08 PM »
Here is a theory so help me understand this - about 7 years ago or so I pulled the carb off my Dads 1973 Kaw 175 dual sport which had been sitting a number of years.  That thing looked pretty bad, like it had dirt in the float bowl.  wow

Not having official "carb cleaner soak solution" on hand I looked around the garage and I had a bottle of STP Carb Cleaner, black bottle, which said 1 bottle treats 20 gallons.  I feared the strength of this stuff would quickly eat away at the jets themselves because I was using it at 100% solution. 

I soaked the jets for a few minutes, then checked them.  No change.  Let soak about 5 minutes, no change.  10 minutes, no change.  An hour, no change.  Heck, I'll leave them in the glass cup of 100% overnight - no change.  That stuff didn't even phase the grunge.

I went to auto parts store and bought the commercial gallon of soak.  It cleaned the jets, etc, within an hour.

My theory - if the 100% solution of bottle carb/fuel injector cleaner can't even phase this stuff, how in the world is it going to work when diluted?

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »
My theory - if the 100% solution of bottle carb/fuel injector cleaner can't even phase this stuff, how in the world is it going to work when diluted?

One word Flow..... Once fully blocked and no longer passing fuel no additive will work. If used regularly as a "preventive" most will work just fine but once there is no flow you are just wasting your breath.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline emjayw

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »
Just wanted to thank you guys for the TCW-3 tip.  My '01 was running great until a trip through Colorado in August resulted in some "suspect fuel".  I ran Seafoam through it and it helped alot but the starting stumbles continued until I started with the 2 oz. of TCW-3 at each fillup.  Now it starts and idles beautifully even when I have let it sit for a week.  Mike in TX

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 11:21:14 AM »
 ;)
2004 C10 RIP