Author Topic: Seafoam or Stabil in gas tank?  (Read 9447 times)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Seafoam or Stabil in gas tank?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 05:48:45 AM »
C,
Well you have peaked my intrest on this statement.
 Let me see here, 38 yrs on 2 wheels, 9 bikes, 2 Connies with combined mileage of 211k, 3 Gold Wings, CB900C, CB650 and CB650SC, Suzuk GS850, another 175k combined and no damage to any drivetrain from Winter routine.
So can you please tell me how a roughly 80 to 90 lb. rear wheel spinning the gears with less stress then my 250lbs and bike weight, no to mention all the other torque caused by twistin the throttle, is going to do damage ?
It just doesn't seem to that big a problem, but I'm just guessing here, you know, with my limited experience.
Thanks for your input.
Ride safe all, and please, ATGATT.

Greg

Who pissed in your Post Toasties?
It's fine to disagree but you don't have to be a jerk about it.
Gee, only 38 years of riding? LOL
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 06:15:17 AM »
Wow,
T-: This is the first time I ever needed to replaced a spline gear, on any bike I have ever owned. I suspect that Mama Kaw made an adjustment to the design so the pig gears didn't wear away. The pig gears are a lot more exensive to replace. My 96 Connie had 135k on her and this was never a problem, I thank Mama Kaw foir that one.

C-: Nobody pissed in my Post Toasties, but my smart-ass light did come on.
You see, I am a smart-ass by nature, way to many yrs of dealing with life in multiple forms, shapes and positions. My sarcasm can be stiff sometimes, especially if I have a point to get accross.
You make a good point about the driveline, and it might be damaged on some bikes, I just haven't seen said damage on anything I have ever owned.
So if you can accept my sarcasm as just a guy venting, I would appreciate it. No harm no foul, hopefully.
And I still like ISO Proheat in the tank.
Ride safe all, and please ATGATT,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 07:17:40 AM »
It's all good by me Pfloydgad as I'm just pulling your chain a little simply due to your lapse in memory; no other reason....... Just having fun at your expense my friend. And and BTW me thinks we me included is all a bunch of smart-ass including Cholla. As to drive line wear I might be wrong or I might be right thus I try to avoid doing it as it makes me uneasy. Once my bikes go into winter storage they are covered and forgotten till spring unless they are being worked on.

Be good or be good at it!
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline soyjim

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »
How does using 2 cycle oil (tec 3 I think it is called) in the gasoline affect the use of stabil or seafoam?

Offline Connie Mark

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 07:39:19 PM »
Seafoam definitely claims to be a fuel stabilizer on the package. 'Let It Ride', a shop in Lakewood, CO, where I just bought a nice jacket this last Sunday (plugging for Rob as he is actually open on Sunday) had the owner of Seafoam stop in his shop to ask him to carry it. He claimed fuel would last up to two years before going sideways if Seafoam is used.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
Me? A smart arse? Shirley you jest! Been riding shafties fer a long time. If ya want to see hub wear check out the old GS Suzukis.
All is well, Gentlemen. We need an oil thread... ;D
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 10:01:58 PM »

All is well, Gentlemen. We need an oil thread... ;D

NO, WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER OIL THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 12:12:26 AM »

NO, WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER OIL THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::)

How about an oil change interval thread? Or tire pressure?  ;D
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 07:29:34 AM »
How about an oil change interval thread? Or tire pressure?  ;D

Yes, you should have an interval between oil changes.  Just endlessly changing the oil won't leave you any time for riding.

And tire pressure is also a good idea.  Positive pressure if possible.  Zero or negative pressure will undoubtedly affect the handling of your motorcycle.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157