Author Topic: fork oil change in '91  (Read 8226 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: fork oil change in '91
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 05:38:07 AM »
RF - that drain screw is pretty small.   Drilling a hole in a screw would seem to require a tiny hole.  Do you warm the oil before sucking it thru the screw?

Sorry, I was away during the Holidays.  Fork oil is pretty "fluid" and we've never warmed it.  I would equate is action to being like trans fluid regardless of weight.  A good vacuum pulled in from the Schrader valve will suck it in within about 30 seconds.  And yes, the hole is small, maybe about 1/16" or so (pretty close to drilled out to the threads).  Dad made the little tool back in the early '90s.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 06:33:01 AM »
The fork caps come off, and you pour the oil in from there.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Summit670

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »
It has been a while since I have had the caps off so dont recall for sure how easy they are to access.   I have the genmar risers so is it possible to remove the fork caps without removing the bars and/or risers?  1987 model. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 06:08:05 AM »
It has been a while since I have had the caps off so dont recall for sure how easy they are to access.   I have the genmar risers so is it possible to remove the fork caps without removing the bars and/or risers?  1987 model.

Life will be a lot easier if you remove them and just lay them out of the way while doing this.  The risers typically bite into the tube with their set screw and probably add a little drag.  I haven't looked into mine for a while but seem to remember a sleeve is in there which would probably block the cap from coming out.  Even so, They would also complicate getting the cap back on when you are done.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington