Author Topic: Oil change advice  (Read 10071 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Oil change advice
« on: December 27, 2015, 11:54:33 PM »
Has anyone used this in the c10 - castrol edge 10w40 fully synthetic, if so how is gear shifting?

I just picked up three quarts and have never used synthetic in this bike, for 8 years i been running regular castrol 10w40 witch has been ok and i change it every 3k, but when shifting it can be a clunker and i was hoping synthetic would make it a little smoother and maybe even help the engine live longer.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Oil change advice
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 03:40:27 AM »
Will be fine... Shifting should improve as the synthetic will resist viscosity shear at temp. I ran 15W50 synthetic year round in my motor... I found shifting further improved with thicker oil...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 07:30:29 AM »
The problem is we live in such a false advertising world we are not even aware what is synthetic and what is not. It is up to the buyer to do research and find out for them selves.
German law states that if the oil is not made from base group 4 PAO then it cannot be called Synthetic. On this continent anything can be called synthetic today.

I am not saying Castrol is not good oil- it is good oil. It is just not considered true synthetic in  Germany or here.

Not All Synthetics Are Created Equal:

Please be aware that not all synthetics are created equal. There is wide differences in quality and protection provided by the various synthetics. Additionally, not all synthetics are 100% synthetic. Many are partial synthetics marketed under the perception of full synthetics to the unsuspecting consumer or even Group III hydrocracked oils such as Castrol Syntec, for example, which is a hydroisomerized petroleum oil and not a Group 4 PAO synthetic oil (there is a full article on this in our Informative Articles section detailing the battle between Castrol and Mobil). There are no PAO (polyalphaolefin) synthetic molecules in Castrol Syntec, yet because of legal finagling with the definition of synthesized motor oils they can legally be called synthetic. Basically, they changed the definition of a synthetic to fit the process of highly refining a petroleum base oil, called hydrocracking and fought with Mobil and the National Advertising Council to loosen the definition of a synthetic.

This is just a suggestion. If you want to have your bike shift super smooth there is one oil that really improves shifting extremely well. It is called Motul 5100 and it is not expensive.
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/oils-lubricants/5100-4t-10w40
Try it. It really works well for what your trying to achieve. I have made this same suggestion to others here and they reported a big improvements in shifting. It is because of the Esters. The transmission loves it. The synthetic part of the 'blend' is a a true PAO synthetic (group4) so your getting what your paying for when you buy this oil.
When you open the bottle make sure you smell it but don't drink it. It smells really good. That is the 'ester' or fruit based oils that makes it smell so good.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 11:00:42 AM »
Can someone really notice the difference between regular and synthetic oils? Even real/good high grade synthetic oil? I have tried but noticed no difference.

Offline bob h

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:42:54 AM »
I'm with DC Concours in that I've never noticed any shifting difference with any of the oils I've used.   I have always used good grades of various brands, dino or synthetic meeting mfr's spec's.  Many guys say they do, but I haven't for whatever reason. Just lucky I guess!

Viscosity and/or temperature definitely makes a difference, but that's a different discussion.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »
I think the difference is in the warm cuddly feeling one gets when using synthetics.  :D

I like to cuddle my money instead.  8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 01:50:11 PM »
Can someone really notice the difference between regular and synthetic oils? Even real/good high grade synthetic oil? I have tried but noticed no difference.

Have you tried tasting it?  Synthetic has more of a fruity, ambitious taste and doesn't cling to the glass like regular oil.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »
ha no. I don't want to get cancer!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »
Nobody said you're supposed to swallow.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 03:12:31 PM »
Are you sure? That's contrary to what I have been telling them.

Nobody said you're supposed to swallow.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 07:06:01 PM »

I could tell the difference between the two on my Concours even before I installed the heavy duty shift linkage but then again my bike was fairly new..... I'll give myself a shameless plug here even the worst shifting bike will shift much better with the install of my kit... I've had folks ride to my house and I've installed the kit for them so I got to see first hand some of the worst bikes improve shift quality dramaticly.....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 07:48:04 PM »
I sincerely hope that there was drinking involved.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 08:02:49 PM »
I sincerely hope that there was drinking involved.

Generally a couple of mirco brews are consumed anytime I've got company in the garage....

Just ask Tom Mettler....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 08:37:19 PM »
. . . when shifting it can be a clunker . . .
Although some of you may find this hard to 'swallow' here's a couple of things that can help shifting:
1) Proper shift lever adjustment so your foot can move the lever through its full stroke
2) Preloading the lever with a bit of force before disengaging the clutch
The Concours shifts as well as or better than any of the other motorcycles I've had.

Frugal confession: my bike has never seen anything but conventional oil, and I've never noticed any shifting difference between well-used (i.e. 5000 km) and freshly changed, or between grades (20W40, 20W50, 10W40) either.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 10:28:38 PM »
In my C14 I just dump this oil and filter combo all over it.  But i only expect to get 200k out of it, then part it out on the fleabay (bucket list gig)  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 11:25:20 PM »
Generally a couple of mirco brews are consumed anytime I've got company in the garage....

Just ask Tom Mettler....
   YEA, that Tony is a great guy. Only serves the best beer to his customers!! :-) All the while he did the install for me. His heavy duty shift linkage is still working GREAT!!
              Thanks, Tony   Miss you here in Michigan.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 09:53:01 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll let you now my results next week when i make the switch, btw i have always noticed smoother shifting on oil changes for about the first 100 miles, i don't have a problem with my shifter linkage, i have adjusted that to my liking long ago.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 10:22:07 AM »
Mine has never been a smooth shifter. I do use synthetic, usually the Rotella T6. I am surprised to not see any naysayers about using synthetic in the bike. In my Nighthawk 750 and this bike I have always used synthetic and never had a shifting problem.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »
I just made the change and put about 25 miles on it, as always it shifts a little smoother right now but i don't see any major differents than the dyno oil, maybe it will shift smoother for longer. time will tell.

Mine has never been a smooth shifter either, I mean its ok but i have rode other bikes that shift so easy, also my clutch leaver is a little harder to hold in compared to other bikes, if i stop at a light i some times have to go to neutral or my hand will cramp up holding the clutch in.