Author Topic: carb sync question  (Read 9457 times)

Offline jworth

• Arena
Re: carb sync question
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »
If you're saying that the carbs should be balanced to within x mmHg then sure the mercury matters, but again, that's only density.  Maybe I'm not registering what you're saying.  I'm a reasonably intelligent guy.  Explain to me what I'm missing.  Maybe it's do to something about this particular application that contributes to the communications gap. 

Here's my figuring so tell me where I'm wrong.

A given column of fluid is supported by a given pressure.  The force of pressure is equal to the weight of the column.
total force=weight
Total force of pressure is equal to the pressure (say in psi) x cross sectional area (I'll call it Ac)
Weight of the column of fluid is equal to density x volume.  Volume is equal to the height x cross sectional area.
That gives us pressure x Ac = density x height x Ac
Ac on both sides of the equations cancels out.  That's the math as I see it.

What do you mean "relative scaling factor"?

Here's a little something I found with a 2 second google search:
http://www.mne.psu.edu/cimbala/Learning/Fluid/Hydrostatics/applications.htm

It does mention some effects regarding surface tension on very small tubes, but I don't believe that's relevant here.

Offline JDM

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 05:47:52 AM »
This should explain it, but you need to listen to the last part very close.  HTH   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeNQOqr63cc 
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 09:20:22 AM »
Thanks JDM, nice to get some support.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »
 :popcorn:

So, regardless of all other factors:  If I have a static column of mercury and an equal height column of ATF (each with it's own reservoir at the base), applying the same vacuum to each would cause the ATF to rise >13 times higher than the mercury, correct?
Specific gravity: mercury = 13.6,  ATF = .853