Author Topic: Vapor lock  (Read 12556 times)

Offline connie_rider

Re: Vapor lock
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
Several years ago, people would periodically post the same problem.
MANY people thought it was the filter that caused the problem.
Lots of discussion went on about size of filter, hole size in the nipples etc......
Some measured fuel flow thru various filters to prove the concern....

At the time, I had a filter (small/inline) and never had a problem....
Then on one ride, my bike did the same thing (after I installed a new Fuel Filter).
Started loosing power and eventually died.
I did the same as everyone, opened the gas cap, griped, wigled wires/tubing, etc......
I discovered that after setting a few minutes it would crank and go again....
Would even go WOT for extended periods with no problem... (Fuel flow thru the small filter had to be adequate to do this)
But after extended cruising, it would start the loosing power/dying cycle again...

When I posted it, most said my filter was too small and I should get a bigger fuel filter....
A few suspected vapor lock.....

But I wasn't convinced and decided that a bent (but still flowing) fuel line might be kinking after it got hot.
So, I put a section of curved Stainless Steel tubing where the bend was in my fuel line.
Problem solved.....

In my case, I used the tubing, some have used the spring. "Either works".

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 12:46:56 PM »
Yes i am certain now that it was all dew to a kinked fuel line, the heat and soft tygon line is the problem, and maybe to long of line, it kinked the line to where only a very small amount was getting threw just enough to start and ideal but nothing more, after i shortened the line by almost a full inch i haven't had any more troble but i still want to get a spring on there or Steel tubing.

where can i get this Steel tubing? autozone home-depot?

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline booger

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 08:19:47 PM »
I can usually tell vapor lock when my stomach starts rolling and cramping.  I cure it with Ex-Lax. ;)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 04:05:09 PM »
Yes i am certain now that it was all dew to a kinked fuel line, the heat and soft tygon line is the problem, and maybe to long of line, it kinked the line to where only a very small amount was getting threw just enough to start and ideal but nothing more, after i shortened the line by almost a full inch i haven't had any more troble but i still want to get a spring on there or Steel tubing.

where can i get this Steel tubing? autozone home-depot?

In my case, I worked for a Company that routinely bent stainless steel tubing.
If you have a Tubing Bender, you could buy Brake Line Tubing (or something similar) at an Auto Supply (or Home Depot) and build what you want.

Best of luck, Ride safe, Ted