Author Topic: Dirt bike instructor  (Read 1851 times)

Son of Pappy

Dirt bike instructor
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »
So, I went to a Q&A session on Monday, class starts in mid March.  The plan is all aspects of riding a dirt bike with the exception of MX.  The classes start at the no experience level with the lowest age being 6.  I'll focus on the basic course, dual sport/adventure riding, trail riding, and speaker/instructor for various rallys.  I'm also going to work on instructing the military, PSS has a contract for both street and dirt training for the Army.  They also work with various state agencies that use DS and other offraod ATVs.  I've been off the bikes since Oct due to my back surgery other then a few very short rides on the KLR so today it was sunny and 56 out, so I did what any self respecting rider would do, I geared up and putted around working on slow speed skills and clutch control.  My forearms and hands could really feel the time off, but man, it felt so good to be up tall on the pegs working the clutch.  It was a great way to help relieve some mental clouds, see, my youngest got married today, to a guy I have never met or spoke with.  She told us last week, like, "Dad, I'm getting married, his name is Adrian and he's from DC".  I asked when she told me "in a week".  Wow, she is now Mrs. Peterson.  I also found out today my wife has COPD, not so good, and yes, she is a smoker, but this should convince her to quit for good this time.  To continue this saga I was told by my DR I may never be able to return to my job.  I believe things happen for a reason so I am going to make the best of this week, I am stoked about the dirt bike course and feel truly blessed I have something to fall back on should I be unable to return to my old job.  To be able to follow another dream job is special, to have the opportunity to continue working with Soldiers is another bonus, and having perfect property for an adventure camp seals the deal.
So, for those of you interested in becoming more proficient in the dirt or who want to explore new trails I may see ya in the future :)
If any folks in the area or plan on comming to the area drop me a line, if I can't make it I can give ya some locations and I'll even give ya the keys to the motorhome or a place to pitch yer tent.

Check out the http://pssor.com/ link
Gosh being the SMARTASS Instructor and a PSSOR instructor should make for a colorfull resume, eh ;)

Offline rush2112

• Arena
Re: Dirt bike instructor
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 07:22:16 AM »
Tough little stretch there SoP. Prayers go out to you and the family for healing, peace, and guidance.

Sounds like you're on the right track (no pun intended) getting back on the bike and starting maybe a new career path. That sounds like fun! Much like my brother, he retired and then went to work at a gun store just to keep himself busy and supplement income! Something he's very interested in and loves to do! Does that qualify it as a "job" then?  8)

I would love to get in to dirt riding. NOT MX though! To old for that (MX) and the back wouldn't support that idea!
Keep us posted on how it progresses!
 :)

Oh, and get "Mr. Peterson" to arrange a visit with you ASAP. Make sure you show him "the special shotgun" that you got for your little girl long ago! I had a father do that to me once!!!!  ;)

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »
SoP, where are you located?  I'd be interested in visiting with you and talking DS riding sometime.

Rob
Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the prayers rush, when the son in law shows up I'm thinking a trip to the private range would work out nicely.  I finally got to speak with him this evening, I think he's gonna be a fine husband for my youngest.  BTW, best 3 man band ever ;D

Enumclaw, I'm over in Port Orchard, I was in Enumclaw today getting some firewood from my brother, he works out of the DNR office on the outskirts of town.  I have 20 acres located on Wannacut Lake just above Tonasket, Pappy also has 20 further up the mountian.  What I usually do is trailer the bikes over as I'm usually combining sweat equity with fun, I have a small motorhome all setup, power, water, boat, and a 4 wheeler ready to go whenever.  Drop me a PM, we'll get something setup for sure.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »
So, i r a DB instructor ;D ;D ;D  Rain, snow, rain, more rain with wind, plain rain, and cold rain :D  We had a coupla never been instructor candidates so I had a few chance to help with their coaching and transition so I could rest the back, and boy did I need it!  I had 3 bilat nerve burns on Wednesday, I have 6 really cool holes evenly spaced, really compliments the scar.  We had one lady drop from the course, she was in way over her head, heck, she still needs to learn how to ride, so much differant then making a bike move.  Her husband did OK, still needs to work on technique and gain some confidence, riding wise and speaking wise.  We also had 2 othe females, one is a street instructor (as well as her dad and brother) who did really well, and a newer rider who has never been an instructor, but has taken many differant riding schools and a super eagerness to learn.  She was the star of the show, imagine a 46 year old diving in and becoming an instructor....  The course was great, worked on some finer details in regards to body position and crossing obstacles.  Also got a set of knee braces/guards, I thought they would really suck off the bike, but after a few minutes I forgot they were on, I also got a Leatt neck brace, once I hit the proper adjustment that to just seemed to vanish.  Last big dirtbike purchase will be a set of SidiCrossfire SRS boots.  I have a good set of Alp. Scout boots for DS riding, but they are not as stiff as I would like when I'm charging a trail really hard.  All in all I had a great time and the group I am most looking forward to training will be the young children, I remember my first ride like it was yesterday and I want to see that joy on their faces.  Next up for me will be the completion of my ADV gear, I'll be doing the WA BDR this year and beyond.  Will the KLR hold up?  Miles will tell, I may end up on a GS800, lots of farkles ready, and an awesome ADV bike.
So, if any are interested, the offer is still open, a place to DS, see some panoramic country, lots of critters, a boat for the lake, 'lectric and water and plenty of camping space or if ya aint into that, a resort that is located just below my place.  I'll post up when I'll be out that way.
So, it's off to the hot tub, using muscles that have been on hold for 6 months reappeared and need some attention.