Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 728480 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2580 on: June 28, 2017, 03:28:58 PM »
Free flights for life! Well, free flights on Spirit Airlines anyway. And of course only for Christoph Lezcano and one guest flying with him. And of course only on his birthday..... But that is because Christoph Lezcano was born on a Spirit Airline flight, and the airline has extended him this interesting and unusual benifit.

OK, so it is a marketing gimmick. And it is only useful on Spirit Airlines rather than a <real> airline such as Southwest for example. But still, it is kinda' cool I think.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/baby-born-spirit-airlines-plane-235221691.html

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2581 on: June 28, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »
Free flights for life! Well, free flights on Spirit Airlines anyway. And of course only for Christoph Lezcano and one guest flying with him. And of course only on his birthday..... But that is because Christoph Lezcano was born on a Spirit Airline flight, and the airline has extended him this interesting and unusual benifit.

OK, so it is a marketing gimmick. And it is only useful on Spirit Airlines rather than a <real> airline such as Southwest for example. But still, it is kinda' cool I think.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/baby-born-spirit-airlines-plane-235221691.html

Brian

And it worked! I have never even heard of Spirit Airlines until now. Now I know if first drive 4 hours to Huston, I could take a Spirit Airlines flight of my choice to someplace, just not Austin or San Antonio.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2582 on: June 28, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »
And a happy ending: an amusing story, great marketing, a cool story for mom and especially, the kid, and as you say, it seems to be working.

This whole thing is like sex, only good!

Brian

And it worked! I have never even heard of Spirit Airlines until now. Now I know if first drive 4 hours to Huston, I could take a Spirit Airlines flight of my choice to someplace, just not Austin or San Antonio.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2583 on: June 29, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
Great- I have been hanging around here, missing important stuff going on elsewhere.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/r2-d2-droid-used-star-wars-films-sells-203240651.html

Finally, R2D2 came up for sale and I missed out 'cause I was fiddlin' around here! I was so going to buy that thing- he could have helped me work on the house.

;D

Brian

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2584 on: July 01, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
... he could have helped me work on the house.

Speaking of working on your house...it made me wonder...Why, when we refer to Air Conditioning, do we abbreviate it as A/C instead of A.C.   
..is it so we don't mix it up with Alternating Current? I thought that was AC. No?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2585 on: July 01, 2017, 05:35:38 PM »
I dunno'? But air conditioning is always referred to as A/C as far as I know.... and I have been spending a LOT of time studying up on it lately.  ;)  Also referred to as HVAC but that is not air conditioning per se, that is Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning as a general area.

Then again, my preferred on- line vendor of A/C is called AC Warehouse so maybe the slash AND the periods are not needed?

You could always go to Google and try typing in: "Why is Air Conditioning" and see what Google thinks may be the best questions. My suggestions were, in order: "bad, sexist, important, not cooling". ?? So then I typed in: "How do fat people" and I cannot print Google's suggestions for that. So then I typed in "How do.... well, you can imagine.

Back ON NO TOPIC WHATSOEVER: Damn you Marty, you have de- railed me! But I will not be swayed, I am putting A/C in my house and that is final! Well, combination A/C and heating units.... heat pumps to be precise though I will not use them for heat and am also putting in electro- hydronic heating units (six of them) to heat the upstairs.

Brian

Speaking of working on your house...it made me wonder...Why, when we refer to Air Conditioning, do we abbreviate it as A/C instead of A.C.   
..is it so we don't mix it up with Alternating Current? I thought that was AC. No?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2586 on: July 01, 2017, 07:12:54 PM »

Why is it called "air conditioning" at all?  Anything done to condition the air, heat it, cool it, filter it, de/humidify it, is air conditioning...

And while we are at it... why is it "refrigerate"?  What is with the "re"?  Was it cold to begin with or something?  "Frigerate" comes from the Latin "frigus" meaning "cold".  Shouldn't it just be called frigerate, frigeration, frigerator, and frigerated?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2587 on: July 01, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »
Damn you Marty,

Quit imitating my wife!  >:(    ( ;))

And while we are at it... why is it "refrigerate"?  What is with the "re"?  Was it cold to begin with or something? Shouldn't it just be called frigerate, frigeration, frigerator, and frigerated?

I like where this is headed.
 It's...it's...Carlinesque..as in George Carlin.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2588 on: July 01, 2017, 10:08:40 PM »
For a while, in the 1950's or so, I think air conditioning meant that the air was conditioned as was needed, meaning that it was heated or cooled as needed. I know that was the thought and venaccular regarding submarines, when they became air conditioned; the system provided both heat as well as cold. I <believe> air conditioning also applied to things such as movie theaters way back when, for the same reason. Then somehow, for some reason, air- condition became a cold- only device. Perhaps it was the rapid introduction of central heating to homes throughout the US but they did not get cooling for decades so the heating was not called air conditioning but cooling was.

Well, I take the re part of refrigerator to mean that it is frigerated the first time it is powered up but then each new cycle RE- refrigerates the unit, again cooling it down to a preset level. ??

Irregardless, that is what we call them and it is probably beyond correction or alteration now, sorta like this thread, there ain't no reintelligenceing it now even if a smot guy comes along....

:rotflmao:

I have to comment on the fact that my spelling checker thinks I spelled irregardless correctly. New word? If so, when the hell did that slip in there (said in the voice of an Old French w..... er, professional services provider.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

Why is it called "air conditioning" at all?  Anything done to condition the air, heat it, cool it, filter it, de/humidify it, is air conditioning...

And while we are at it... why is it "refrigerate"?  What is with the "re"?  Was it cold to begin with or something?  "Frigerate" comes from the Latin "frigus" meaning "cold".  Shouldn't it just be called frigerate, frigeration, frigerator, and frigerated?

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2589 on: July 02, 2017, 01:01:26 AM »
Air COnditioning was originally invented for the printing industry so that they could print reliably in an environment where the humidity levels especially could be rigidly maintained. AT the time the inks used were very sensitive to changes in humidity.

The cooling effect and subsequent home/ office use was incidental

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2590 on: July 02, 2017, 06:05:10 AM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2591 on: July 02, 2017, 06:31:40 AM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2592 on: July 02, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »

LOL!  And you win the prize :)  Or for those in Brittan, where they don't like the letter "z",  perhaps "prise"?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2593 on: July 02, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »
Or for those in Brittan, where they don't like the letter "z",  perhaps "prise"?

That's strange, Brittan's website doesn't mention anything about their aversion to z.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2594 on: July 02, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »
That's strange, Brittan's website doesn't mention anything about their aversion to z.

Not THAT Brittan, the one that does this:

initialise
recognise
criticise
organise

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/07/brits-spell-realize-s

They really do like the letter "u", though  :)

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/05/america-drop-u-british-spellings/

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2595 on: July 02, 2017, 06:40:24 PM »
Not THAT Brittan, the one that does this:

initialise
recognise
criticise
organise

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/07/brits-spell-realize-s

They really do like the letter "u", though  :)

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/05/america-drop-u-british-spellings/

OH, you are referring to Britain, short for Great Britain, the ninth largest Island in the world? Well why didn't you say so.  ???  :stirpot:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2596 on: July 02, 2017, 09:44:39 PM »
OH, you are referring to Britain, short for Great Britain, the ninth largest Island in the world? Well why didn't you say so.  ???  :stirpot:

Oh wow, like, I am speechless.   :doh:

I just experimented some and realized my browser spell-checker was turning a typo of "Brittain" (with an accidental extra "t" ) into "Brittan" which is quite fascinating, since that doesn't appear to even be a valid word.  I didn't even notice and then it "remembered" it as a preferred selection, quietly replacing my typing of "Britain" with "Brittan"!   I could turn off the autocomplete which helps tremendously, but the kicker is that I can't remove "Brittan" from the built-in dictionary to ensure it doesn't happen again (although I suppose it is unlikely).  I love this quote:

The contents of dictionaries are not maintained by Mozilla. In some cases they are not maintained by anyone. If you think the contents of a dictionary should be updated, you might be able to find out who maintains it by looking in its README file (if it has one).

Oh, I love it when technology "helps" me...  I do so look forward to self-driving cars...  "Sorry sir, I corrected your route to drive us off the cliff because it seemed like you wanted an even faster route down.  If you are still able, please press or say 'feedback' to register a complaint, if necessary.  Your feedback is valuable and will help with development of future products."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2597 on: July 03, 2017, 06:17:01 AM »
OH, you are referring to Britain, short for Great Britain, the ninth largest Island in the world? Well why didn't you say so.  ??? :stirpot:

Thank you! 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2598 on: July 04, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »
It is pretty well known that Franklin Delano Roosevelt was President of the US, starting in 1932 and ending in his fourth term, with his death in office, in 1945 and was the longest serving President in US history. He had been Governor of New York before taking office as President.

What I think is less well known is that F.D.R. ran for the office of Vice President in 1920. He and his presidential running mate lost to Warren Harding and Calvin Coolidge, elected as President and Vice President respectively, although Coolidge would finish Harding's first term after Harding died in office.

The man who ran for President in 1920 with F.D.R. (for those outside the US: in the US, Presidents and Vice Presidents run for office together, on one 'ticket' and are elected or defeated as a team) was a gentleman named James Cox, the current Governor of Ohio at the time. Some of our Presidents start off on the commercial side of life, often becoming wealthy and well- known from that business while others are basically full- time politicians. Governor Cox was the former and this is the interesting and absolutely useless bit of trivia; Mr. Cox generated his wealth by starting off as a journalist, eventually rising to buy a newspaper, then several newspapers, making all and himself successful and becoming wealthy in the process. After spending several years in politics, he left and returned to the private sector after his failed Presidental bid of 1920, and concentrated on making his newspaper business into an impressive conglomerate which he named.... Cox Enterprises. Today, Cox Enterprises employees ~60,000 people and does 18 billion dollars worth of business annually, and remains a private company, still owned by run by children and grandchildren of James M. Cox with a fourth generation having members sitting on the board of directors. James Cox STILL has a living daughter, Anne Cox, active in the company, who was born in 1919.

And the moral of the story is that it is these old codgers who are getting  in the way and preventing me from using nomorobo service! Maybe I should call Anne Cox 53 times per day and try to sell her things? Life insurance perhaps? I mean, what 98 year old woman does NOT need more life insurance? Then again, she probably uses Verizon and nomorobo so I would not be able to get through to her anyway.....

:rotflmao:  three times

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2599 on: July 04, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »
News media outlets seem to carry a lot of negative news and while that is true, it is because a lot of things that are newsworthy are negative (see thread about phone - book, firearm testing for verification).

But there are occasional stories that are not negative at all and it is nice to find one now and again. And on top of that, nice to see the subject being about the police and the community in a positive light. Now I realize that this may well have been staged as a public relations stunt but if it was, kudos that whatever police dept. put it on.... It kinda' does look staged with a black male and white female senior LEO but still, pretty good. THIS is how you do P.R. IMO. And I especially got a kick out of the female LEO actually riding in the water, sitting inside a large garbage bag to keep her gear dry; again whatever damage might have been done to any of her gear, it  was more than worth it for community relations IMO.

United Airlines: pay attention.  :rotflmao:

And by the way: I found this on Yahoo News first (liberal as then tend to be, I find they cover a pretty wide spectrum of subjects and is something seem suspect, I simply find either a) the 'real' or 'full' story or b) the same story from several sources) and then many other outlets, even the 'Crazy Channel'.  ;D

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/north-carolina-police-respond-call-end-joining-slip/story?id=48437620

Brian