Author Topic: My new occupation  (Read 2778 times)

Son of Pappy

My new occupation
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:45:55 AM »
I'd call it work, but so far it has been too fun, so I'll call it my occupation.  This is what I'm doing http://advcamp.com/bdr-camps
I'm the newly crowned Program Manger for PSSOR, which means I am required to ride the routes, picks the routes, check out campsites and of course the food.  I go to as many DS rallys as I can handle, and I even get to do a little teaching along the way.
If anyone has any suggestions for ways to expand, please, please, please, share them with me.  Right know the program is borderline red profit wise, my goal is easy, make a profit so we can expand.  We eventually plan to as far as Utah to do Expeditions on the Utah BDR, which would also include Oregon BDR.  One of our gigs is pre deployment training for 1st SFG out of Ft Lewis (JBLM) and a Military Mentor Training program that SOCOM has signed onto.
Heck, Last week there I was 6200ft, 10 foot tall snow piles, 85 degrees, fresh breeze, 2 trees deep on the ridge line, thunder and lightning everywhere, gorgeous sunset, refreshening sunrise, good people, good food, tank of gas and new trails.  What more can a person want or need?  I'd be on the trail this coming Monday but family first.  Next rides will be the Rally in the Gorge sponsored by Sound Rider! and then the Hoh Rain forrest sponsored by Alt Rider.  I think the next week I may do the entire WABDR just because I can :)
So, come on, join me for the ride, and FWIW, no, I aint getting rid of the 14, aint no way thats happening  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: My new occupation
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 05:28:59 AM »
Congrats on the new occupation.  It's very rare we find 'work' and enjoy it so much. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:50:02 AM »
Join as many DS and motorcycle forums as you can to get the word out.  Flyers at dealers in the area couldn't hurt either. 

Lucky dog...........
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »
Sounds like a great job. I want to do one of your rides but I don't see having an extra $3k for the ride, bike rental and airfare. Sounds like a blast though.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
Sounds like a great gig indeed Chet, congrats bro!  :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:32:35 AM »
Nice!!!!!!

:thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline okxd45

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
Getting paid to RIDE.......that just seems wrong. ;) Congrats SOP!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline cc_ryder

• Jacksonville,FL ...................... Coggers ROK
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »
That sounds like one sweet gig.
ROK
Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders   www.patriotguard.org

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »
Thanks guys!  Tomorow is just another day at work, Pacific Raceways at 7, class starts at 9, lunch should see me at 140-145 or so, just depends on how well the ZX TBs do, best rolling quarter to date is 137 on the GPS.  What ever I did to make this happen should be turned into a patent ;D  I'll post pics in a coupla weeks, heading to Colorado for 9 days, home, then off to the Gorge for the ST/DS Rally.  Home for a coupla days then off to the Hoh Rain Forest DS rally.  Normal work schedule, right?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »
man wow @ your "job" !!!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 04:34:01 AM »
Thanks guys!  Tomorow is just another day at work, Pacific Raceways at 7, class starts at 9, lunch should see me at 140-145 or so, just depends on how well the ZX TBs do, best rolling quarter to date is 137 on the GPS.  What ever I did to make this happen should be turned into a patent ;D  I'll post pics in a coupla weeks, heading to Colorado for 9 days, home, then off to the Gorge for the ST/DS Rally.  Home for a coupla days then off to the Hoh Rain Forest DS rally.  Normal work schedule, right?

You can stop NOW!    :P
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 09:43:57 PM »
Well, today didn't go quite as planned.  It was a mini monsoon for the AM portion, never got above 89mph, bummer!  The lunch session ride control riders normally get was cut very short due to one broke down Gixxer and one wiped out SV.  No injuries, other than pride (he is an MSF Coach taking the class).  I only lost traction once, on lesson 2, going uphill prepping to pass a student for coaching, I was a little happy on the grip and it was actually a little fun ;D  The best recorded speed I hit was during lesson 5, and all I got to say is dern, the Zumo really doesn't  track speed well, all it showed was 124, not to bad for a wet track.  Man work must suck, I sure am glad that four letter word isn't in my job description ;D ;D ;D