Author Topic: Anyone with an opinion on Latex mattresses?  (Read 10702 times)

Offline Fretka

Anyone with an opinion on Latex mattresses?
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:35:17 AM »
There is nothing worse than mattress shopping!
I've got a FUBAR lower back and would like to try something new, could be air or memory foam etc...

TIA

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Anyone with an opinion on Latex mattresses?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
Good for safe sex I bet.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »
We bought a mattress with a latex topper, and it's hot!  Decently comfortable, that's more a function of the mattress, but we ended up moving it to the guest room during the summer since it made it feel 5 or so degrees warmer when sleeping.  That may not seem like much, but if you turn your AC from 75 to 80 during the summer, you probably won't sleep very well.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Fretka

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »
We bought a mattress with a latex topper, and it's hot!  Decently comfortable, that's more a function of the mattress, but we ended up moving it to the guest room during the summer since it made it feel 5 or so degrees warmer when sleeping.  That may not seem like much, but if you turn your AC from 75 to 80 during the summer, you probably won't sleep very well.

You said latex, but just to be certain, you don't mean memory foam or gel foam do you?
Here in San Diego I don't need more warmth!

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:13:46 PM »
Latex? I guess it should fit 'like a glove'  8)

As for mattress shopping, a suggestion would to stay at a hotel room for a night that offers that type of mattress, no necessarily the same manufacturer,
just the same type, ie; memory foam, air.. It's a lot cheaper than finding out that you will not agree with it before you buy it.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 03:33:08 PM »
We bought a full latex mattress 3 years ago. Talalay is the process. It was the only mattress my wife and I could agree on and we would more than likely buy one again.

Expensive, heavy, difficult to carry and move but they are very supportive and considering there is 100 pounds between our weights we both sleep well and don't have stiff backs in the morning like we had with memory foam.

We do have a breathable cover on the mattress but I can't say it is any different from the memory foam mattress we had before this one as far as temperature goes.

I can't see getting another memory foam mattress and if the latex lasts as long as what we have heard it will be a long time before we need a new one.

www.springwall.com

Offline Reid

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:53 AM »
We bought the Spa Sensation 12" mattress a couple of years ago.  Absolutely the best mattress I have ever slept on!
http://tinyurl.com/SpaSensation
2008 C-14 (Silver Belle)
Russell Daylong seat
Cal-Sci windshield
S.Ga. AAD

Offline okxd45

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 09:07:54 AM »
     We went with a Comfortaire mattress and use a 4in memory foam topper.  We got there very cheapest mattress ($699 queen) and then spent around $120 on the topper.  I too have a messed up lower back and this combo has been great and you can't beat the price.  We had a memory foam bed before this, but after a few years, the foam under the memory foam began to sag.  I like this because it uses air, and you can adjust it however you like without the worry of it sagging.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »
Latex is much cooler than memory foam.  Is also is VERY durable.  I sleep on latex, I also own a furniture store.  PM me if you have any questions.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 10:33:35 AM »
It seems that a 100% latex will last longer than a combo containing poly foam. I'm hoping to find a bed that fills in the hollows, does not create pressure points and won't turn into a bucket 2 years down the road.

Pretty much what everyone wants I guess.

It's tough to find any quality info as this industry seems to be one of the most misleading, marketing BS filled products anywhere.
Memory foam seems to de-gas for some time, air beds can allow mold to form, latex might retain heat (?).

We can unlock the secrets to the universe, fight a Jihad but can't seem to build a decent mattress!

Time for a bale of straw!

Thanks Mike.... will do! (edit).

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 07:41:57 PM »
My wife says I should add that the our mattress does show a slight hollow....there is hours of reading on the web about people measuring and being upset if a mattress shows anything but dead level.

Having said that it does not affect our sleep positions or ever make us feel like we are trying to climb out of a canyon when we turn over. Nothing like what our memory foam exhibited or felt like after a few years.

But if you are a person who likes the look of your bed to be as flat as a table with a bedspread on it then latex may not be a good choice....so just buy the straw bale or a table...VBG

Offline Gsun

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:44 PM »
I want my water bed back!

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
I just bought  a basic, c5 I believe, sleep number, and so far its really good. I too have several bad discs in my lower back.  I find memory foam HOT and I cannot deal with it.  My last mattress was very firm, but had a pillow top. Horrible. I woke every morning in serious pain.  The pillow-top was hot and gave zero support.  Most of the time I ended up sleeping on the floor to get out of pain. I've not had to do that yet. 

Too expensive, and too much hype, for sure. The thing is built very well. Actually, the price is more easy to understand after seeing the pieces of the matress fit together..

Offline tretnine

• Behind Bars Motorcycles and Life
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »
I've got a latex mattress and I love it. I got a good one, it's got four inches of foam. Latex is anti-microbial and it's hypo-allergenic if it's covered (and it will always be covered because you're not ever in direct skin contact with it.) So they even worth for people with latex allergies. It's not for everyone, but I really love the hell out of mine.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 02:30:28 AM »
Love my sleep number bed.

I've got one of the super plain ones.  Just a plain mattress cover with the air bladders inside and up or down for the firmness control.

Very lightweight and will be easy to move when I GTFO of Prescott Valley.

I cannot even imagine moving a king-size latex mattress.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Fretka

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 09:46:50 AM »
You do make a good point... very heavy and deadweight at that.

OTOH... you could fill yours with helium!  ;D

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 11:30:58 AM »
Bought the top-of-the-line king-size Tempurpedic a few years ago. Was told to try it out for 30 days, and if we didn't like it they would come get it.
Hated it!!! Chemical smell was terrible, which they said would eventually go away. It would form to my body then not let me move around during the night. I would have to wake up and force my body out of the hole and wait for it to recover. I'm one that needs to move around a bit at night. It was hot! Never hurt so bad in my life after waking up.

Called them to come get it and they did. Only problem that I didn't see when I bought it was, if returned you were not refunded your money, but given a store credit! I was not happy!!! So to use up that credit, we bought a top of the line king-size Beautyrest for us, and then two top of the queen-size for the spare bedrooms, and still had a credit left!!!!!! Used it up buying pillows....
 :banghead:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »
Bought a 12" memory foam W/ pillow top off ebay. It came in a big roll by UPS and took about an hour to fully open up. It is very comfortable and firm. I have had it about 5 years with no complaints...king size and I am no featherweight.  JP
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold

Offline Fretka

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 10:07:22 AM »
Bought the top-of-the-line king-size Tempurpedic a few years ago. Was told to try it out for 30 days, and if we didn't like it they would come get it.
Hated it!!! Chemical smell was terrible, which they said would eventually go away. It would form to my body then not let me move around during the night. I would have to wake up and force my body out of the hole and wait for it to recover. I'm one that needs to move around a bit at night. It was hot! Never hurt so bad in my life after waking up.

Called them to come get it and they did. Only problem that I didn't see when I bought it was, if returned you were not refunded your money, but given a store credit! I was not happy!!! So to use up that credit, we bought a top of the line king-size Beautyrest for us, and then two top of the queen-size for the spare bedrooms, and still had a credit left!!!!!! Used it up buying pillows....
 :banghead:

Your's is a textbook example of why we all hate to shop for mattresses! You need a priest, lawyer and materials scientist just to buy a damn bed.
I gave up trying to get TV just because I was never sure what I was buying and what it would cost.

Damn asterisks  :(

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »
Get a basic Sleep Number and then go to overstock.com, find a multi density thick memory foam for the top.  It is the ONLY combination that works for me and also keeps mam happy.  The one I have also has a dwon quilted topper.  No issues with excessive heat or sweating. 
Latex?  old girlfriend always said it left a funny taste ;)