Author Topic: Wrecked my connie  (Read 6802 times)

Offline vman

Re: Wrecked my connie
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »
great info and really appreciate it all.    Makes me review my habits on favorite roads that I tend to push the speed a bit due to familiarity.   It could happen to any of us.    I will keep your info in my thoughts as I head out onto roads I may know too well!    Thanks and heal fast!

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 11:24:08 PM »
You may have to write yourself a ticket for "60 in a 55" just to be honest. You can then plead not guilty and set a court date. When the court date comes take the 5th and the case will be dismissed.
 :rotflmao: Glad to hear you're OK. If it would have been me I'm not sure I could have resisted asking the farmer for his license and registration.
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"

Offline cmoore

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 04:58:43 AM »
It's amazing how our instincts take over when something potentially traumatic happens. All of this happened within a few very short seconds and the things he did saved him from really bad injury. #1 the helmet and #2 going limp after being ejected from the bike. I think ABS would have made a big difference. He was in a corner and had to hit the brakes hard. Both wheels locked up and off he went. The ABS would have given him a chance for a controlled stop. I'm a believer. I've seen it work perfectly on my vehicles. If I ever trade my trusty '02 in for a new bike I'm going to get one with ABS.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline kathybrj

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 07:53:02 AM »
Glad to hear you came out of this fairly well. Reading your assessment of what happened gave me the shivers!
bbroj's better half

'14 Honda CTX 700

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
I have both front  turn signals and a headlight... they are yours if you need them.

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »
Glad to hear you are alright bro. Heal quickly my friend.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline medicevans

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 11:24:38 PM »
I might have lower fairings. Not sure if I want to get rid of them or not.

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 08:07:38 AM »
Maybe a new bike with ABS is what the doctor orders.

Offline pat8228

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »
Maybe a new bike with ABS is what the doctor orders.
Would love to have one, but just can't afford it right now.
If anyone has any extra parts i will be interested in getting 1. A new helmet!LOL. 2. Right luggage bag. 3. All the fairings parts on the right side, and maybe the front fairing. My bike is a 04, very, very dark blue, looks black until the sunlight hits it.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »
After reading what happened, It sounds like you were going into a blind corner too fast. I think riding the Connie is like riding a bull when you get in trouble. It's heavy and when brakes get locked up, you don't have much of a chance of staying on.  I have read that when you lock up brakes, you need to lay it down. This might have helped, but I think that is near impossible to do, unless you do it all the time. I know I can't lay it down on purpose. As far as ABS goes, I wonder if ABS gives you a sense of more confidence to go faster.
Here are two things I learned
1. It doesn't matter how long you been riding, you still can get caught off guard.
2. Slow your speed into turns you cannot see ahead of. Don't assume a blind corner is okay.

Pat, what ever the case, I appreciate you taking the time to share this with us. (I am not criticizing you, I certainly don't think I am a better rider than you and this can't happen to me. I'm just trying to learn from it, so I can avoid this terrible experience) The best part is that you are okay.

No, when you lock both brakes you will GO DOWN. You will have no choice in the matter.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!