Author Topic: Otosclerosis  (Read 10450 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Otosclerosis
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 06:08:01 AM »
Good news C  :)  Give ya time to work on yer post count ;)

Thanks C! I am falling a bit behind aren't I?   :-[
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 06:53:01 AM »
The toughest part is letting them knock you out. Congratulations to you! The rest will heal in short order, and hopefully all the symptoms will disappear!
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 07:18:58 AM »
The toughest part is letting them knock you out. Congratulations to you! The rest will heal in short order, and hopefully all the symptoms will disappear!

Thanks Jim!

Everyone at the hospital where I had the surgery was great. They ran an EKG on me since I'm over 50 and haven't had one for a while, it was perfect.  My nurse had a lil trouble getting the IV started in my right hand but once she switched to my left, it was a breeze. I was very nervous at this point but they injected something into my IV line 'to take the edge off' and that helped me a lot. I was happy as can be when they rolled me into the OR. The last thing that I remember as they moved me onto the table was that I was cold in the OR. Then I was waking up in the recovery room. My wife and grandson were there and they tell me that I was talking up a storm and then fell back asleep for an hour. I was in surgery for 2.5 hours. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »
Have you seen the results of the rape kit?  If yes all is well :-X

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 02:08:25 PM »
Glad all went well, Conrad.   :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 04:59:06 AM »
Glad all went well, Conrad.   :thumbs:

Thanks Jim!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 05:01:05 AM »
Have you seen the results of the rape kit?  If yes all is well :-X

Well, the female surgical nurse was quite attractive so...  No worries!    ;)

Offline Broz

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »
I had my surgery yesterday and it went well, better than I expected actually. It seems that I got all worked up and worried for nothing. I'm dealing with a little pain and dizziness today. I have plenty of pills for the pain and a patch for the dizziness. My doctor says not to go back to work, or lifting of over 5 pounds, for three weeks. Looks like I'll be getting a lot of reading done in the next few weeks.

My doctor says not to go back to work, or lifting of over 5 pounds, .......Conrad, you missed the chance to say, "looks like I'll need help taking a leak."   After all you have contributed to the funny pages I'm surprised you missed that one......must be he meds.

Get well soon.
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 04:34:24 AM »
My doctor says not to go back to work, or lifting of over 5 pounds, .......Conrad, you missed the chance to say, "looks like I'll need help taking a leak."   After all you have contributed to the funny pages I'm surprised you missed that one......must be he meds.

Get well soon.

Thanks Broz! Actually, I didn't miss the chance to say that to my doc. He thought it was hilarious, my wife did not.     :o    ;D

Offline Broz

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 06:33:49 AM »
 :thumbs: :rotflmao:
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »
Read some Vince Flynn and Brad Thor with the new Tom Clancy and WEB Griffin thrown in for good measure. Ever read the Stieg Larsson novels, Girl With The Dragon Tatoo, Girl Who Played With Fire, Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest? Thought they were silly when I first heard of them. Actually pretty decent reads, I liked the guys writing style. Good luck, glad it went well. BTW, my wife usually does my IV's, she stuck me once with a 14ga. and I was thinking it was the usual 18 or 20ga. like what you most likely got, holy $hit! I think she pulled out a skin plug! That 1000cc bag of fluids got into me REAL quick.  ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »
Thanks Boss

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 06:24:27 AM »
Some interesting facts that you may not know about inner ear anatomy...

During stapedectomy surgery there are two nerves in the inner ear that the surgeon has to be concerned about. One supplies the impulses to the facial muscles that allow a person to show expressions (VERY important not to damage during surgery). The other supplies part of the info to the brain about taste from your tongue.

The facial muscle nerve is so important that before the surgery is started sensors are applies to the patent's face that tell the surgeon if the nerve is being affected by what he/she is doing in the ear. No issues in my case.

In my ear the taste nerve was draped across the inside of the ear drum and my surgeon had to move it out of the way, stretching it a bit but not damaging it. This has effected my sense of taste, but should go back to normal once the nerve settles back down. What's strange about this is that plain water tastes salty to me now. My doctor told me that this might happen but he said that I might have a metallic taste. I had no idea that the salty taste would be so strong. When I got home and had some water I thought that there was something wrong with my water softener because the water tasted so salty. I had my wife taste it and she said that it was normal.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 04:47:01 AM »
It seems that my surgery has been successful! Yesterday my hearing in the effected ear came back and everything is so loud around here.    ;D

The doc said that it would take a bit for the swelling to go down and that once it did I should be able to hear again. It did and I can. YaHooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool:

Well done doctor!  :hail:

I still have to take it VERY easy and can't go back to work till I see the doc on the 25th.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 04:55:38 AM »
C, will there be any problem wearing ear plugs?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 05:12:42 AM »
C, will there be any problem wearing ear plugs?

Once my ear drum heals up completely I should be able to wear ear plugs again. I'm actually amazed that I can hear as well as I can from that ear since the ear drum has packing against it that won't be removed till the 25th.   

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 06:25:13 AM »
Thats awesome news  :grouphug:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 08:04:05 AM »
That is good to hear!  Get it?  ;D  Glad to know you are doing well!  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 08:15:49 AM »
Thanks guys!    :)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »
OK, I'm late to the party  :banghead:...
I'm glad all went well and I hope it continues that way.  :thumbs:

I don't have any original hearing jokes or puns...Link