Author Topic: General Sticky Brake Question  (Read 2363 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
General Sticky Brake Question
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »
So I replaced my front brake lines and pads as I have every new and used sportbike I've bought (steel braided lines, double H pads).  I've done it quite often.  I did  bike tonight and my calipers are sticking.  Where did I go wrong?

Brakes work great but after a few pulls they don't QUIT working....    what did I fug up?

1) Remove calipers and put the new pads on
2) removed old fluid, removed old lines. Installed new lines
3) extensive bleeding of lines, air removed.

I even thought the EBC pads weren't the right ones, popped them out and put the stockers back in...same thing.

I was thinking caliper rebuild, but they were working great before I messed with them?

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: General Sticky Brake Question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »
Possibly dirt in the master cylinder bleed hole not allowing fluid to return.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 06:48:47 PM »
Possibly dirt in the master cylinder bleed hole not allowing fluid to return.

Thanks~

Man that sounds like the deal with the fluid not returning.  How do I clean such a thing to see, or is there a simple/ cheat way of going about it hehe
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »
Have you tried it with your Connie fob in the pocket? :-\

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »
. . . How do I clean such a thing to see, or is there a simple/ cheat way of going about it hehe
Take a toothpick and push it through the two little holes in the bottom of the master cylinder.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »
Take a toothpick and push it through the two little holes in the bottom of the master cylinder.

Thank you very much, I'll take the banjo bolt out and try and clear them.

Maybe this clog is why the brakes were easier to bleed than any when I've started from scratch with new lines

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 04:17:39 AM »
Are they all sticking or is it just one piston?  And what bike is this on, Steve?

Never mind....ZX-9 eh?

Tell us about the ZX-9, Steve.  We loves a good story, we does.  Does it have two front calipers or just one?  If two, are both seizing?  If one, apply the brakes until it seizes and then open the affected caliper bleeder and if the fluid shoots out (put a rag over the bleeder just in case), then it's an issue with the line on back to the master.  If not, it's caliper related.

By the way, is that the only thing you did (replace lines and bleed) or did you muck about with the calipers and did you change the banjo washers?

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »
Are they all sticking or is it just one piston?  And what bike is this on, Steve?

hmmm wonder how how i tell one or all, pull the calipers off and see if one hesitates to go back in?

Never mind....ZX-9 ehYes, Connie has linked rubber brakes, 1st bike I ever owned I left the  I left OEM lines and pads

Tell us about the ZX-9, Steve.  We loves a good story, we does.  Does it have two front calipers or just one? If two, are both seizing?  If one, apply the brakes until it seizes and then open the affected caliper bleeder and if the fluid shoots out (put a rag over the bleeder just in case), then it's an issue with the line on back to the master.  If not, it's caliper related. Of course it has two, its not a Hardly-Ableson. If I recall both calipers are hard to pull of after a very short ride, but i may need to confirm if one is really harder than the other.....   good question for me

By the way, is that the only thing you did (replace lines and bleed) or did you muck about with the calipers and did you change the banjo washers? Changed lines, banjo bolts and crush washers (all Spiegler)

Jim, Thanks for this help!  I haven't ever had issues with pads/lines swap, this will be a learning experience indeed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:00:09 AM by stevewfl »

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 08:02:03 PM »
Front/rear Brake calipoers on the ZX9 rebuilt, brakes work GREAT  :D

C14 is next, its 30,000 miles overdue for it according to the book, so I wanna' be "proactive hehe