Author Topic: Finally on the road...be careful walking to the bathroom!!  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Big B

Finally on the road...be careful walking to the bathroom!!
« on: August 03, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »

Finally on the road.
On April 18th at three in the morning I did one of the most dangerous and damaging things I have ever done. I walked from my bed to the bathroom. I wobbled on my right leg, and it hurt, a lot. I made it to the bathroom, walked back to bed, and called 911. I got dressed in some old sweat pants, and crawled to the door to wait for the ambulance. I was home by eight thirty at night. Two screws held the bottom portions of my tibia and fibula together to help the torn ligaments heal. The top part of the fibula also suffered a spiral fracture.
The sentence was three months in a cast, and no weight bearing on the leg. So I was on crutches at work, and a wheelchair at home.
July 20th the screws came out, July 29th the motorcycle came out of winter storage.
I am finally riding!!! Some of the bolt on accessories are on the bike, and I can try out the new gear I purchased while I was not riding.
One of the most interesting things while being disabled was using the left foot gas pedal I had installed in my car! On the C14 the right foot is used on the brake, and that just slows me down.
I have been reading all the posts here with envy, as until now all I could do was read about motorcycles.

BB
2008 C14 "Ziggy"

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Finally on the road...be careful walking to the bathroom!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »
Welcome back to sanity! Did te docs say what caused it?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Big B

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:04:38 PM »
I just rolled my ankle outward. That tore the ligament between the two bones. One of the more dramatic results instead of just a sprain.
2008 C14 "Ziggy"

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
Welcome back to the big bad world! You still have a lot of summer to pile on some miles.

Wow, I didn't know you could do that much damage just by rolling your ankle. Think I've done something similar a time or two while running.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 07:21:37 PM »
Wow..... Think I'll start wearing over the ankle lace up boots to bed!
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:38:04 PM »
Holy Crap. BigB. That sucks.  I feel for ya, man.  Ankles will fold up under weird circumstances and be very slow to heal.  I never did anything that bad, but came close a few times.  1973, two weeks before high school graduation, I cracked a bone in my left ankle while committing a minor act of vandalism (don’t ask).  Two months in a walking cast and about three more to get full function.  A few years later, while fueling airplanes, I jumped down from the cab of the Jet-A truck and my right foot landed on the 4-inch diameter fuel hose.  I watched it turn bottom-up and I think it was about eight or ten weeks in a cast and then limping for a couple more.  In 1984 I was dancing at my job-quitting party, and fell off my cowboy boots (not my fault, alcohol was involved), stretching tendons in my left ankle, eight weeks walking cast and many more before I could walk well or bicycle.  One evening I was backing down the airstair door of a Falcon biz-jet and slipped off a step.  My right foot rolled over and hit steps 3, 2, and 1, and then the concrete hangar floor.  Again I watched the sole of my boot turned up at me when I hit.  Ten weeks casted and three months with a cane.  Just waiting for the next one.

Oh, yeah, Tony, all of these were while wearing fairly heavy over-the-ankle boots, or as stated, cowboys, (the Tony Llama still has a floor burn mark on it).
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 01:19:35 PM »
(not my fault, alcohol was involved),

Sure . . . blame the innocent booze instead of the bozo.   ;D

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:09 PM »
........... I cracked a bone in my left ankle while committing a minor act of vandalism (don’t ask).

Oh, yeah, Tony, all of these were while wearing fairly heavy over-the-ankle boots, or as stated, cowboys, (the Tony Llama still has a floor burn mark on it).

Excuse me.... Details? Don't think you can throw that out there and get away with no explanation!

While I do love my Cowboy Boots they do not offer any real ankle support and are only worn as dress boots. I work on board a 550' long 2-piece ship with 7 levels and more stairs than most see in a life time; long ago I learned that one must wear the tallest lace-up boots you can stand to wear. At 6' 2" @ 275 pounds even my casual home time wear is going to be side-zip lace up over the ankle duty, or hiking type of boot; no down time allowed here.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »
Hypothetically of course…..there may have been a situation with three drunk 17-year-old lads, tooling around in a ’63 Ford Falcon, around three  a.m., with a load of empty beer bottles they needed to dispose of, the lawn of a teacher, (a verrrry nice lawn) some….uhhhh…skid marks……runnning in the dark……a broken car window (not the Falcon’s)…. jumping a stone wall…..a trip…a fall down about a four-foot berm….a pile of kids…a sharp pain…running in the dark with pain (thanks alcohol)….into the Falcon…more skid marks……can’t walk…..a thrashing from Mom…….well, it mighta happened to someone…………hypothetically.

Things we're not proud of.

Apologies to Big B for the thread ‘jack.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 12:30:52 PM »
That's a bad injury. Hope you heal quick. But it reminds me of a T-shirt I saw that said something like, "You can die falling off the couch, go ride." I'm getting tired of everyone telling me about this person or that person crashing or dying on a bike. Twisted fractures can be a b**ch. Good luck.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 01:07:26 PM »
Hypothetically of course…..there may have been a situation with three drunk 17-year-old lads, tooling around in a ’63 Ford Falcon, around three  a.m., with a load of empty beer bottles they needed to dispose of, the lawn of a teacher, (a verrrry nice lawn) some….uhhhh…skid marks……runnning in the dark……a broken car window (not the Falcon’s)…. jumping a stone wall…..a trip…a fall down about a four-foot berm….a pile of kids…a sharp pain…running in the dark with pain (thanks alcohol)….into the Falcon…more skid marks……can’t walk…..a thrashing from Mom…….well, it mighta happened to someone…………hypothetically.

Things we're not proud of.

Apologies to Big B for the thread ‘jack.

Hey, I had a 63 Ford Fairlane!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »

Excuse me.... Details? Don't think you can throw that out there and get away with no explanation!

While I do love my Cowboy Boots they do not offer any real ankle support and are only worn as dress boots. I work on board a 550' long 2-piece ship with 7 levels and more stairs than most see in a life time; long ago I learned that one must wear the tallest lace-up boots you can stand to wear. At 6' 2" @ 275 pounds even my casual home time wear is going to be side-zip lace up over the ankle duty, or hiking type of boot; no down time allowed here.

Hey T, how about a picture of that ship?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »
Hey T, how about a picture of that ship?
Go to www.andrie.com our company website; I'm on the tug Samuel de Champlain and barge Innovation.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »
Yeah, I know this is off topic but it's in Open so what the heck....

Wow, pretty big ship for a tug.  Does it go any faster that that?  ;)

SAMUEL de CHAMPLAIN Arrives in Cleveland

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
Yes she is very big for a "tug boat" I have a 3 room living quarters on board Office/Lounge, Bedroom, and private bathroom so I'm quite happy here and would have to be romoved with a cattle prod. We travel at 13 to 15 MPH and burn 350 gallon per hour doing so. Some ships would be faster but they can not get into the tight and shallow ports that I can. Previous I was on the GLO for 9 years and have been on the SDC for 5 years.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 05:10:46 AM »
 :thumbs: