Author Topic: Knob key won't come out...well, it finally did!  (Read 19312 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Knob key won't come out
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »
Just because it was designed and intended to be removed, doesn't necessarily mean it is a good idea.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline pistole

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 08:27:04 PM »
- this was discussed a while back.

- simple solution : leave knob in place. Cut a spare key for the bags and fuel cap. Easy.

Offline udoggie

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 10:13:46 PM »
- simple solution : leave knob in place. Cut a spare key for the bags and fuel cap. Easy.

+100

I paid $4 each for two keys (for the blanks and to have them cut) from a local locksmith, and it's worth every penny.

I leave the knob key alone, and keep one of the spares in my sleeve pocket on my aerostitch for the gas cap and/or saddle bags.

Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 04:53:26 AM »
I've used the stove knob for everything, every time, and never had a problem.
Of course I spray some lock lube in the keyholes from time to time.

Not skeered. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 05:16:16 AM »
Me too. Lot easier than digging for the fob. A little DrySlide lube works wonders.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:09 AM »
Oh, I always push down- you have to or it is simply impossible to turn.  But it is STILL difficult to turn and to insert and remove the key.  And there is a bunch of white stuff.  The bike is only 2 years old and it started getting this way maybe 6 months after I got it.  Kind of a mystery.

You should take that lock apart Max and get that corrosion cleaned out of there.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lemosley01

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 10:23:20 AM »
Keys on caps open my bags so they stay in there.

Can you expand on this? What do you mean? One of the aggravations - because I am in and out of my sidebags everytime I ride - is being forced to get the key out each time. My Royal Star could be locked or you could leave them unlocked and push the lock in to open the bags.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »
Can you expand on this? What do you mean? One of the aggravations - because I am in and out of my sidebags everytime I ride - is being forced to get the key out each time. My Royal Star could be locked or you could leave them unlocked and push the lock in to open the bags.

Some folks have bought extra keys and then glued color matched caps onto them for use in the bags, they mostly just leave the keys in the bags for convenience.

See this thread for more info.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3602.0

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:04 AM »
I carry my spare key on my 'janitor' retractable key ring.....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »
Some folks have bought extra keys and then glued color matched caps onto them for use in the bags, they mostly just leave the keys in the bags for convenience.

See this thread for more info.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3602.0

That's what I do.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »
I carry my spare key on my 'janitor' retractable key ring.....

Very nice Jim, when you get done playing with your keys there's a clean up needed on aisle 4.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
 ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline booger

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 06:11:30 PM »
I dry lubed the heck out of mine, several times, to no avail.
And then I discovered it was bent. ;)

Offline clogan

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »
If I ever get my knob key out, I'll check it for bends, and lube it up real good...but honestly, I can't see it ever coming loose at this point. I mean, that rascal is REALLY stuck. So, I guess I'll just forever leave it in the switch, and buy me some spares on which to epoxy some caps. Then leave 'em in the bags and seat locks.

I also have two cars with fob systems, but they both also require keys. Fobs are an unnecessary complication, IMHO. Guess they said the same thing about keys when ignition keys were first introduced way back when.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »
Before I got my extra keys and used the stove knob, I found it difficult to get a good grip on it. So using a Dremel I cut horizontal lines on the sides to give it a better grip.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 10:21:12 AM »
I also have two cars with fob systems, but they both also require keys. Fobs are an unnecessary complication, IMHO. Guess they said the same thing about keys when ignition keys were first introduced way back when.

With my Infiniti, I never touch a key or mess with the fob.  It is just in my jacket.  When I get close the car, I can open the doors or trunk with my hand and start the car with a finger.  THAT is what I would want on the Concours :)   (Open bags, seat, gas tank, and start, all without a metal, insert-it-type key)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »
With my Infiniti, I never touch a key or mess with the fob.  It is just in my jacket.  When I get close the car, I can open the doors or trunk with my hand and start the car with a finger.  THAT is what I would want on the Concours :)   (Open bags, seat, gas tank, and start, all without a metal, insert-it-type key)

+1...

Mama's new Camry is just like that too, very slick.  8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »
I've had that on my Prius since late 2004.  It spoils you.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »
Yep, as others have said, the key is most likely bent and was forced into the lock. Now it is stuck and will be difficult to remove although it will come out. You will probably need a pair of large pliers or medium vice grips to grab onto the key knob and pull it out (wrap the key knob in a rag first to reduce the chance of gouging the key knob). Once out, straighten the key and it will again slide in and out (easy boys!) of the ign. lock.

I have been using the main stove knob key on my bike in all the locks on the bike since '07 but perhaps disaster is just around the corner. I think it will be OK if I continue to chant the incantation before starting the bike though. Dat dare KiPass can be an evil system- at least that is what I've heard now and then....

Brian

Starting yesterday, my knob key will not come out of the switch. It otherwise works fine, turning easily from lock, on, fss, etc., but I can't remove it when in FSS. It's like the knob key is "locked" in place, and cannot be removed. Thus, when I stop for fuel, I now have to fumble around and find my fob, remove the hidey key, buy my gas, then reverse the process.

A simple work around is to buy a separate key for fuel, seat and saddlebags, but I hesitate to do that until I asked advice from other Connie owners.

All thoughts appreciated.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline booger

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
If I ever get my knob key out, I'll check it for bends, and lube it up real good...but honestly, I can't see it ever coming loose at this point. I mean, that rascal is REALLY stuck. So, I guess I'll just forever leave it in the switch, and buy me some spares on which to epoxy some caps. Then leave 'em in the bags and seat locks.

I just put a pair of vice grips on mine and jerked it out.