Author Topic: Knob key won't come out...well, it finally did!  (Read 19337 times)

Offline clogan

Knob key won't come out...well, it finally did!
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »
Starting yesterday, my knob key will not come out of the switch. It otherwise works fine, turning easily from lock, on, fss, etc., but I can't remove it when in FSS. It's like the knob key is "locked" in place, and cannot be removed. Thus, when I stop for fuel, I now have to fumble around and find my fob, remove the hidey key, buy my gas, then reverse the process.

A simple work around is to buy a separate key for fuel, seat and saddlebags, but I hesitate to do that until I asked advice from other Connie owners.

All thoughts appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:23:51 PM by clogan »
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Knob key won't come out
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:05:50 AM »
Ifn it won't come out, it's probably bent, don't you know...  Mine stays in the bike all the time and I use other keys to open the tank and cases.  Up to you on what you want to do.  You could take to a dealer and let them sort it out (probably will cost you but you never know) or you could futz around some more and try to get it out yourself or just use the spare key.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »
It happened to me one of the first times I used the bike: no way to pull the "big" key out" :(

Then, when all my hopes were lost.... all of a sudden  **shglupp** it came out! (like the sound??  ;D)

Since then I understood that the knob key is designed by Kawasaki... to remain there! ;)

I use the small key in the FOB for opening the bags and fuel cap.

I warmly suggest you to do the same...
:)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
I also use the fob key for this reason as well.   :)
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »
Problem is, the key has been used in the Gasshole so many times, its bent.
I advise everyone to have a blank cut, or two, or three and used them in your bags, and Gasshole.

gasshole. ;D
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline clogan

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »
Yup...guess I'll just get a few extra keys. Local Kawi Dealer doesn't sell keys (!), ACE had no blanks, but local smithy said he could make copies for $3-$4 each. Maybe I'll epoxy some new keys onto some sort of knobs, and just leave them in place in the locks.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »
I don't use my knob anymore either. ;D
I got a nice lanyard and wear with my fob and a spare key on it.  I always know where my fob is and while I get my wallet out I use my spare key to open the gashole.  (the spare is on one of those quick detach thingies)
Keys on caps open my bags so they stay in there.
This seems to have streamlined the whole process.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »
I bent the key knob in the gas hole.  I straightened the key and inserted back in the ignition.
Key would turn but not come out.  Dealer removed the key and said "bent key".
Knob now stays in the ignition, 7500 trouble free miles using the FOB to refuel and opening the bags.

No hassel getting the FOB out of my pocket.  But I'm sure its based on my bent key experience.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
Stove knob never comes out of my bike. Like others said, I got some extra keys cut. I also epoxied one into a radio knob and that stays in one of my side cases when riding. At the pump I use that key for the gas.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »
I also use the fob key for this reason as well.   :)

I had a separate non-fob, non-stove key cut that I use.  I never remove the stove/knob key.

For some reason, the lock on my gas tank is getting harder and harder to use/turn/insert/remove.  I think it is starting to bend my "extra" key.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
I think I might search for a non locking gas cap as I don't want to bend the key and it makes the whole process a little easier.  If anyone has already done that, please provide a link.  Gracias

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
I had a separate non-fob, non-stove key cut that I use.  I never remove the stove/knob key.

For some reason, the lock on my gas tank is getting harder and harder to use/turn/insert/remove.  I think it is starting to bend my "extra" key.

Are you aware of the modification so that you can close it without the key?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 04:25:59 PM »
GOt 3 made the last time I was in Lancaster OH at Slaters. 5 bucks plus tax. ILCO X259 is the blank number on the keys.

He threw in the Kawi Fob. Nice guy.

2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »
I push down on the gas cap before I turn the key.  No issues with that or removing the ignition key to use for fueling up.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline yellowrench

• COG #10485 2011 C14
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
VirginiaJim:  "Are you aware of the modification so that you can close it without the key?"  NO, will you tell us? 
COG #10485                                                            2011 C14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »

Offline Rhino

• Arena

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 05:30:31 PM »
Are you aware of the modification so that you can close it without the key?

I think I read about it.  But my issue is more of getting the key in and out and turning it.  Closing it is not difficult.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 05:34:02 PM »
I push down on the gas cap before I turn the key.  No issues with that or removing the ignition key to use for fueling up.

Oh, I always push down- you have to or it is simply impossible to turn.  But it is STILL difficult to turn and to insert and remove the key.  And there is a bunch of white stuff.  The bike is only 2 years old and it started getting this way maybe 6 months after I got it.  Kind of a mystery.