Author Topic: Gas Tank Pressure  (Read 2688 times)

Offline thundermax

Gas Tank Pressure
« on: March 09, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
When I park my 2009 in the garage after riding, I hear a hissing/air releasing sound from the gas tank that goes on slowly until all the pressure is released. Guess it builds up pressure during riding. Don't know anything about check valves or purge valves with the fuel system, but I read the only release area is the gas cap. So there is maybe a vent hole in it? If so maybe mine is blocked with dirty or something?

Does anyone else have this sound after parking?

Any other comments about venting and my situation would be helpful. Thanks.
Riding 46 years. In order, 1958 Cushman 721 Highlander, 1960 Cushman Super Eagle, 1971 Honda SL 100, 1974 Yamaha RD 350, 1975 Honda 750 Four, 1971 Honda SL 175, 1998 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2012 Kawasaki Concours Arabian Red.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Gas Tank Pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 02:09:27 PM »
It is normal.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »
Normal... mine does it too.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
I don't think mine does it.  My C10 did it, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »
Yep, perfectly normal.

By the way, if it makes that noise after the bike has been ridden some distance, it is a partial vacuum and not pressure inside the tank- the tank is sucking IN air, not releasing it. After the fuel tank has been filled with fuel, and the bike ridden any significant distance, the fuel is used up and the volume inside the fuel tank would be (and is) at negative pressure. If the tank was not vented it would crush inward due to the vacuum created by the pumping out of the fuel, not bulge outward due to internal pressure. Google 'crushed motorcycle fuel tanks' and look at the photos of European bikes that have had fuel tank valve failures and you will note that they are all crushed inward, not bulged outward.

Brian

When I park my 2009 in the garage after riding, I hear a hissing/air releasing sound from the gas tank that goes on slowly until all the pressure is released. Guess it builds up pressure during riding. Don't know anything about check valves or purge valves with the fuel system, but I read the only release area is the gas cap. So there is maybe a vent hole in it? If so maybe mine is blocked with dirty or something?

Does anyone else have this sound after parking?

Any other comments about venting and my situation would be helpful. Thanks.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »
Wait...... Is my bike passing gas?  I only feed it premium?!?
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »
Wait...... Is my bike passing gas?

Nope, it sucks
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 01:18:49 AM »

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 10:44:30 AM »
Mine will do this too if the bike has been ridden and then filled up on the way home. When I park it in the garage it will start hissing after a few minutes. Pretty sure it's pressurized by the heat coming up off the engine making the fuel / vapors expand. It's less than a mile from the gas station to my house so not drawing much fuel out in that distance.
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.