Author Topic: Which tires to buy, Angel ST or PR3  (Read 7853 times)

Offline timbo

Which tires to buy, Angel ST or PR3
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
I'm getting ready to get rid of my stock tires and replace with either the angel st or the pr3. I don't ride in rain and don't have a lot of curves in my area. So which would be the better tire for me. I do want it to stick in what curves I do have and don't like the flat spot in the center like the stock tires have. So which would be the better choice? Has anyone had both and have an opinion on them? Thanks!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Which tires to buy, Angel ST or PR3
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »
My Angels have a slight flat spot even though I ride twisties at least four or five times a week.  My commute has caused the flat spot quicker than the PR3 that was on previously.  IMHO it sounds like the PR3 is the way to go for you. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 05:24:20 PM »
If you rarely ride in rain and don't go through too many curves, I would also check out the PR2's. The PR3's are quite a bit pricier and really only excel past the PR2's when dealing with rain or water on the roads. I currently have the PR2's myself and absolutely love them. They stick like glue on the many curves of the Malibu Canyons of California and I haven't noticed uneven wear from commuting to work either. No need for me to spend the extra cash for the PR3's seeing as how I don't ride in rain.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »
I love Michelin tires. I use them for my cars as well as my bike. If you can get your hands on PR2s or PR3s then do. I just switched over to PR3s because I wanted good rain riding ability, and I haven't been disappointed. Turn in is instantaneous (unlike the Bridgestone's that come OEM).
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »
If you rarely ride in rain and don't go through too many curves, I would also check out the PR2's. The PR3's are quite a bit pricier and really only excel past the PR2's when dealing with rain or water on the roads. I currently have the PR2's myself and absolutely love them. They stick like glue on the many curves of the Malibu Canyons of California and I haven't noticed uneven wear from commuting to work either. No need for me to spend the extra cash for the PR3's seeing as how I don't ride in rain.

Well look who's branching out to the rest of the forum, congrats Ryan! I'm telling ya bro you're gonna end up buying a Connie if you keep hanging out here!  ;D

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »

Well look who's branching out to the rest of the forum, congrats Ryan! I'm telling ya bro you're gonna end up buying a Connie if you keep hanging out here!  ;D

Psshhh, I'm just trying to pad my post count! Hahahaha Seriously, though, Connies are absolutely great bikes. I have about a year and a half worth of payments on my FZ8 so maybe I'll be tired of serious canyon/sport riding by then and be ready to do more touring in which case I'd seriously consider a Connie. Currently I don't do much touring, though. My rides usually top out at about 150 miles; the majority of which being serious twisties. I imagine it'd be exhausting throwing a Concours around that many corners even for a young guy like me.

Sorry I kinda temporarily hijacked your thread, timbo!  :-[ Back on track! Pilot Road 2s if you want to save a bit of cash, otherwise go with the Pilot Road 3s.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline timbo

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »
Psshhh, I'm just trying to pad my post count! Hahahaha Seriously, though, Connies are absolutely great bikes. I have about a year and a half worth of payments on my FZ8 so maybe I'll be tired of serious canyon/sport riding by then and be ready to do more touring in which case I'd seriously consider a Connie. Currently I don't do much touring, though. My rides usually top out at about 150 miles; the majority of which being serious twisties. I imagine it'd be exhausting throwing a Concours around that many corners even for a young guy like me.

Sorry I kinda temporarily hijacked your thread, timbo!  :-[ Back on track! Pilot Road 2s if you want to save a bit of cash, otherwise go with the Pilot Road 3s.

No problem Ryan. Thanks! Probably will try the PR3s.

MGvalerio

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 11:29:09 PM »
PR3 pneumatici non adatti x l'alta velocità già a 140 km h la moto c14 tende a galleggia mento,scarsa direzionalità,per tutto il resto ne sono molto soddisfatto...

prossimo cambio gomme pr2.o Pirelli angel. 8)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 03:54:56 AM »
If you need (want) more tread in the center, get the rear in 190/55-17.

Oh .... my vote is for the PR3's
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 05:31:44 AM »
Liked the PR2 better than the PR3 and they are cheaper. Get the rear 55, Better turn in.

Offline timbo

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 05:55:56 AM »
Is the only difference between the PR2 and the PR3  the rain sipes? So on dry pavement, is there any difference in handing?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 06:10:29 AM »
I went with pr3 front and pr2 55 rear. Happy so far with a couple thousand rain or shine miles.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
Is the only difference between the PR2 and the PR3  the rain sipes? So on dry pavement, is there any difference in handing?

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=pilotroad3trial

Click on the chart at the lower right of the screen.
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 12:48:33 PM »
I went to PR3's after stock.  Love the better handling and confidence in having a top notch tire.   Had a great ride in a driving rainstorm and didn't know it was raining that hard until I stopped...those tires tires held great.   The only dissapointment in the PR3's is the flat spot developing because of my slab riding.  I thought being a dual compound they would last a little longer.  (Maybe it's the Holeshot's fault)
I think the next tire I'll try is the PR2, just to save a couple of bucks.  Hopefully it won't be for a while.

Does the 55 give you more rubber in the center?
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »
Flat spotting will be more noticeable on a 55 profile tire than a 50.  The latter is not quite as steep.  The 55 does make it easier to tip the bike into a corner. 

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 03:17:19 PM »
3 set of PR3's last year and loved every set except the price...  I would go PR3 or better for you with no rain is PR2.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »

I think the difference between the PR2 and PR3's at my dealer was about $30 total for the set. I think the  PR3's worth the extra coin.
And, as for "If you don't ride in the rain, get the pr2's" thing, well, I never plan on riding in the rain, if there is rain, I take  car. BUT- when I travel on C!4, I have no choice and just might encounter rain (drove through rain and light snow last month). So, if you travel on your c14 I still think it worthwhile to get pr3's. Also, the PR3's look like a better tire if you ride when it is freezing or below freezing (that be me again).

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »
I think the difference between the PR2 and PR3's at my dealer was about $30 total for the set. I think the  PR3's worth the extra coin.
And, as for "If you don't ride in the rain, get the pr2's" thing, well, I never plan on riding in the rain, if there is rain, I take  car. BUT- when I travel on C!4, I have no choice and just might encounter rain (drove through rain and light snow last month). So, if you travel on your c14 I still think it worthwhile to get pr3's. Also, the PR3's look like a better tire if you ride when it is freezing or below freezing (that be me again).

Ahhh, yea, if the price is that close you may just want to get the PR3's. I believe at my dealership it was closer to a $50-$60 difference for the set which is approaching 20% of the total cost which is some decent coin to save for me at least. Then again, I think this was when the PR3's had just come out so the price may have been higher than it is now for 'em. Either way, they're both awesome tires.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »
I have not had the PR's, but after the stockers I went with the Pirelli Angels and will buy them again when the time comes.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
Does the 55 give you more rubber in the center?

From what I've read, yes.
The Pope