Author Topic: Helmet locks  (Read 23731 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Helmet locks
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »
+1 on having-and liking-the Projekt D.  Very easy install, very easy to use.  I attached the key to my fob.

I just ordered them last night and they have already shipped this morning.  Had no idea they were in Taiwan, but they had EXCELLENT communication and customer service so far and apparently ultra-fast shipping!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 09:49:34 PM »
I just ordered them last night and they have already shipped this morning.  Had no idea they were in Taiwan, but they had EXCELLENT communication and customer service so far and apparently ultra-fast shipping!

I've purchased a couple farkles from ProjektD and every time am overly impressed with their communication and fast shipping!  :thumbs:

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 11:01:52 PM »
I assume you have seen the posts  of people using a used set of helmet locks from a C-10 or other bike.  You can buy the locks from e-bay pretty cheap.  Heres mine:

I wonder if those can be re-keyed to take the stock C14 key?
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 05:58:41 AM »
The helmet lock keys are way more substantial than the fob key. The locks are spring loaded, so there's a fair amount of resistance when turning the key. I'd be concerned that the thin fob key would snap in the lock.

I'm resigned to having to carry two pocket items whenever I get on the bike; the transponder and a ring that has my house key, the fob key, the top case key, the helmet lock key, and the key to my seaside mansion in Malibu.  8)

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »
I just got one of these, combination so no key, but anybody with a hammer could probably open it in short order.  Should be enough to deter casual theft though.

http://www.helmetlok.com/us/buy.php

Offline Tabarswaacky

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 06:34:05 AM »
I bought this lock. I also bought the Givi 46 along with the additional bracket. Rather than mounting it as per directions, I simply removed each lock from lock bracket, and mounted them to the Give suport hardware.
It looks good and lots of room to hang your helmet.
I will try to post a pic.

Offline Tabarswaacky

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 06:37:25 AM »
I just got one of these, combination so no key, but anybody with a hammer could probably open it in short order.  Should be enough to deter casual theft though.

http://www.helmetlok.com/us/buy.php
[/quote
If that's the case , they could cut it off with a knife, since most people don't carry hammers.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 06:58:17 AM »
One thing I really miss about my ZRX is having a real helmet lock.  The C-14 only has that stupid under-seat thing which is impossible, especially since I seem to have TREMENDOUS problems removing/installing the seat, which got even much, much worse with the Sargent seat.

What thing under the seat? I didn't know that there was a helmet lock under there?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »
Surprise!
There is a helmet hook on the left side rail under the seat.  The theory is that you remove the seat, hook the helmet buckle over the hook, and then lock the seat down on it.   Far from ideal, but a nice touch (if you can get to it).

That's the first I've heard of this! I'll have to take a looksee the next time I have the seat off.

Here's one for you. Did you know about the lil 'rings' inside the bags to hook things like a stretchy cargo net onto?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 12:55:40 PM »
That's the first I've heard of this! I'll have to take a looksee the next time I have the seat off.

Here's one for you. Did you know about the lil 'rings' inside the bags to hook things like a stretchy cargo net onto?

Yes, but only because I saw that thread in the pre-forum-blowup about the cargo nets!  I doubt I would have ever known otherwise.

The forum has provided SO MUCH valuable info it is amazing.  Sometimes TOO much  ???
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline marku8a

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 02:43:46 PM »
+2 on liking-the Projekt D. The main bracket and mounting screws are stainless steel. Not included but should be are 4 washers that go under the heads of the screws. The screws are long enough. Installed it looks OEM. I ordered on last Saturday. It arrived on Friday.
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »
+2 on liking-the Projekt D. The main bracket and mounting screws are stainless steel. Not included but should be are 4 washers that go under the heads of the screws. The screws are long enough. Installed it looks OEM. I ordered on last Saturday. It arrived on Friday.

Interesting.  The instructions they sent me before I ordered showed they included the 6 necessary washers.  And there are no screws, just four replacement bolts...

One week shipping from Taiwan is not bad!  I ordered mine Monday, so perhaps they will arrive Monday.  It hit USA (San Fransisco) on Wednesday.  I have never ordered anything international before.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 03:10:48 PM »
"Interesting.  The instructions they sent me before I ordered showed they included the 6 necessary washers.  And there are no screws, just four replacement bolts...

One week shipping from Taiwan is not bad!  I ordered mine Monday, so perhaps they will arrive Monday.  It hit USA (San Fransisco) on Wednesday.  I have never ordered anything international before."

They do supply 6 washers. Those go between the bike frame and the plastic rack to take into account thickness of the helmet lock bracket that is sandwiched in between at 2 of the 4 bolt locations.

I just got lucky on the shipping. It cleared customs very quickly. It's always a crap shoot on how fast that happens.
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline pembsgtr

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 07:05:07 AM »
 I have a couple of these locks, based on a carbiner design, also handy for leaving your jacket with the bike if you thread the wire strop through the sleeves of your jacket . http://www.helmetlok.com/uk/buy.php

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 07:11:47 AM »
I have a couple of these locks, based on a carbiner design, also handy for leaving your jacket with the bike if you thread the wire strop through the sleeves of your jacket . http://www.helmetlok.com/uk/buy.php

Here's one that's similar but without the cable, you could add your own I guess.

$6.53 @ Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SQLR/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Offline papaboomboom

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 09:37:03 AM »
Everything I buy from ProjektD sucks:

a. those damn emails they send everyday to communicate on shipping
b. too cheap to include manuals so they pdf them and send via email
c. much to high quality for the stuff I buy
d. they precision engineer every damn thing including bolts and washers

I have the helmet lock as well. Planned a Saturday morning to install and the damn thing only took 3 minutes. The design is poor as, after you install it, you can't tell that you added a new farkle to your bike. And lastly I don't know why they included two locks which seem to be over-engineered again for strength and durability.

I've found these problems to be persistent with the 8 accessories I have ordered from them.

Yes, they're real...and they is sensational...

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »
This looks like a good mod.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »
After having to dig out my cable lock a couple of times over the weekend and the rave reviews on the ProjektD locks, I just ordered em.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 11:13:53 AM »
Everything I buy from ProjektD sucks:

a. those damn emails they send everyday to communicate on shipping
b. too cheap to include manuals so they pdf them and send via email
c. much to high quality for the stuff I buy
d. they precision engineer every damn thing including bolts and washers

I have the helmet lock as well. Planned a Saturday morning to install and the damn thing only took 3 minutes. The design is poor as, after you install it, you can't tell that you added a new farkle to your bike. And lastly I don't know why they included two locks which seem to be over-engineered again for strength and durability.

I've found these problems to be persistent with the 8 accessories I have ordered from them.

:rotflmao:   :thumbs:   :goodpost:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 01:03:29 PM »
I placed an order with ProjektD this morning (my first with them) for their helmet locks and the process seemed to go without a hitch. Within moments after I placed the order I received a notice from my credit card company telling me of the charge, the amount was correct.

I just checked my account at the ProjektD website and there is no record of my order nor have I received a confirmation of my order.

Those of you who have ordered with them, after you got past the Paypal screen, was there more to do at the ProjektD site to complete the order?