Author Topic: Dark Tinting the Headlights  (Read 14778 times)

Offline Bourne2Ride

Re: Dark Tinting the Headlights
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 09:31:20 AM »
If I were going to cruse locally and not ride a lot at night, I might think about tinting the head lights; but I like the all aspect touring this bike gives me access to; so anything that would reduce my visibility is a no-no.
However if you're looking for cool, consider getting a light kit installed on the bike. Instead of reducing the light output of the head lights, light up the bike! There are a lot of nooks and cranny's to hide LEDs in.
I'm getting mine done next month. Just in time for Ocean City Delmarva bike week :).
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 09:48:47 AM »
I love the look of smoked headlights and taillights on black vehicles.

My issue with them is visibility... ESPECIALLY on a bike. I have tinted signals and will do the smoked taillight on the Connie. I've tried to counteract the smoked signals with  high output LEDs. It seems to be pretty visible in bright daylight. I'm also lookign at Hyperlites or sim to supplement the rear of the bike. The headlight is different, as there is no good way to really increase light output. HID conversion might counteract the tint, but then why tint in the first place?

On a car I would have less issue, because you could use brighter bulbs for daytime (signals) or nightime (headlights) driving, while having the blackout effect for the main headlights. Then again, I always have amber driving lights on my cars, day or night... so there's still some visibility from the front.

+1000 on the illegality of it. Check your local laws, but I think it's one of those things that are illegal in most states.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 09:54:05 AM »
I love the look of smoked headlights and taillights on black vehicles.

My issue with them is visibility... ESPECIALLY on a bike. I have tinted signals and will do the smoked taillight on the Connie. I've tried to counteract the smoked signals with  high output LEDs. It seems to be pretty visible in bright daylight. I'm also lookign at Hyperlites or sim to supplement the rear of the bike. The headlight is different, as there is no good way to really increase light output. HID conversion might counteract the tint, but then why tint in the first place?

On a car I would have less issue, because you could use brighter bulbs for daytime (signals) or nightime (headlights) driving, while having the blackout effect for the main headlights. Then again, I always have amber driving lights on my cars, day or night... so there's still some visibility from the front.

+1000 on the illegality of it. Check your local laws, but I think it's one of those things that are illegal in most states.

Good post and I agree.

But good god, some of you guys are a little over the top. "No taste"? "Most insane idea I ever heard of"? C'mon. If that's the ugliest and most insane idea you've ever heard of, you got sheltered lives. Relax, guys. I came, I asked, I got some rational comments, Thank you for that.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 05:29:31 PM »
2011 Ebony-on-black. The only thing I don't like about the bike is having to get off.    ;D

So, I'm giving her a bath this evening and looking at her head-on, I'm thinking that having all that glass tinted darkly would look really nice. I think there was a thread about this in the old forum (may it rest in peace) but I can't recall what solutions or ideas may have been advanced. I passed a black Dodge Avenger today that had it's headlights either tinted or covered over with a sized tinted panel and it was sharp. That's what I want for my Connie.

Any thoughts?

SL,
You could just get one of these and tint it, that way you could run with it on in the day and take it off if you wanted at night... At least that way it wouldn't be permanent if you changed your mind down the road.

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_58&products_id=127

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
Let's keep this civil, please...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »

SL,
You could just get one of these and tint it, that way you could run with it on in the day and take it off if you wanted at night... At least that way it wouldn't be permanent if you changed your mind down the road.

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_58&products_id=127

That seems like a pretty good idea! Thanks, ZG.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »
The idea of making it similar to the Goldwing headlight is a good one, as long as you don't mind pulling the whole lens off the headlight assembly to get to the reflectors and blacking out the areas that don't reflect. You can buy aftermarket lights for vehicles that are like that, but I don't have any idea of the legality of any of them.
Similar to this as well:
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
A slightly different idea might be to tint everything but the "D" shaped area where the headlights actually shine through the lens. If you look at the headlights when they are on, there is a relatively small area that actually casts light forward; the rest of the lens is not really needed and I think could be quite a bit darker. You might be able to accomplish this with something like plastic tinting paint with the area where light is projected masked off with tape. ??? Just a thought.

Brian

2011 Ebony-on-black. The only thing I don't like about the bike is having to get off.    ;D

So, I'm giving her a bath this evening and looking at her head-on, I'm thinking that having all that glass tinted darkly would look really nice. I think there was a thread about this in the old forum (may it rest in peace) but I can't recall what solutions or ideas may have been advanced. I passed a black Dodge Avenger today that had it's headlights either tinted or covered over with a sized tinted panel and it was sharp. That's what I want for my Connie.

Any thoughts?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 07:44:14 PM »
Let's keep this civil, please...

Im always civil!!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »
 :grouphug: b@t$hes!   ;D
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 08:31:35 PM »
That seems like a pretty good idea! Thanks, ZG.

No worries brutha! If you decide to do it post up some pics when completed, I'd like to see how it turns out.  8)

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »
Sea Level, I don't know how, but it would be cool (way cool) to have it darken.  Like you said, if its illegal or just don't allow the headlights to come through then I guess not.

Why?  Why ask why?  Its like people have 26" wheels on a car, or having 6 x 16" subwoofers inside a car...

If you have to ask why...you don't get it!  Sorry. 8)
Yes, some of us "don't get it" and we're so glad. Just Kidding. We know why some people run 26"  wheels and 6x16 subwoofers. But being polite or politically correct, we pretend to be ignorant. As for dark lights, I haven't figured that one out yet.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 10:33:16 PM »
Me, I like to minimize my exposure so I pick and choose what rules to break and what not to break.  Speed trumps bling every time.
Anudder great post!

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 10:40:15 PM »
If I were going to cruse locally and not ride a lot at night, I might think about tinting the head lights; but I like the all aspect touring this bike gives me access to; so anything that would reduce my visibility is a no-no.
However if you're looking for cool, consider getting a light kit installed on the bike. Instead of reducing the light output of the head lights, light up the bike! There are a lot of nooks and cranny's to hide LEDs in.
I'm getting mine done next month. Just in time for Ocean City Delmarva bike week :).
Something like this:

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 05:24:01 AM »
http://www.lamin-x.com/Kawasaki-Concours-07-Headlight-Cover-p/kw022.htm

I think you gave some people a hernia.

LOL, I think you are right. I was also not really myself and took some posts personally. I should know better, I've been on forums a long time.

The link you sent is interesting but apparently only has the protective film for 2007 models...I'll drop them a line later and see whether they've got the options for the 2011's. Thanks!

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 05:58:03 AM »
LOL, I think you are right. I was also not really myself and took some posts personally. I should know better, I've been on forums a long time.

The link you sent is interesting but apparently only has the protective film for 2007 models...I'll drop them a line later and see whether they've got the options for the 2011's. Thanks!

It is for the 2007+ which means all the Concours 14 models as the headlight has not changed. You can verify with them, but that's the way I am reading it.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 07:33:51 AM »
Now what would be REALLY cool would be flip over headlamps like the Katana 750

Then you would be legal and cool all at the flick of a switch.

I have to admit I'm not one for prettifying a bike or car.
I prefer street sleepers.
A nice old rusty POS that goes like stink!  8)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 08:44:59 AM »
Im always civil!!!!! :thumbs:

Seems like I have heard this before.... ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 09:15:53 AM »
This thread deserves an award   
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine