Author Topic: A couple of LED options, potentially  (Read 14381 times)

Offline kennqc

Re: A couple of LED options, potentially
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 01:05:16 PM »
I have the evitek, will try as you suggest, thanks.  I had put one in without the boot and fired it up, quite impressive.  I keep eveeryone posted.

ken

What brand do you have?

The Eviteks have the keyed plate that comes off and is held in place by the original clips on the bike. Then the rubber boot goes back on (unmodified), then the LED unit goes through the hole in the boot into the plate and twist locks in the plate.
 Yours don't do that?... or were you just being facetious and complaining about the whole clip in process (retaining tensioner) that all H4s use.
If your arm is long enough you can watch how the clip goes in from the front of the bike through the lens.
Below link is how it's done on a car(? well, I think it's a car). Some tweaking can be done (as seen in the original 8 page ADV thread) by use of spacers, and bending the shields, and changing the twist by shaving the plastic tabs, etc, but I haven't experimented with mine yet.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71tknWWS4EL.jpg

Offline kennqc

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 05:13:13 AM »
Since this was my first venture into led headlights I just saw the OP and immediately jumped on it without any research.  No, i was not being facetious or complaining, I was just not aware that most of these lights have removable plates. I am quite content to live with the retaining clip standard on most H4 lamps. since then I have been doing a little more searching and found this apparently newer JDM ASTAR brighter version that appear to be adjustable to control beam cutoff line. forgive me if my terminology is not accurate, I tend to ride to enjoy for 50+ years now and depend on the enthusiasts here to point me in the right direction for improvements in my connie. Also note that this is a link that goes thru amazon smile to donate to Fisher House. (look it up :) )

http://smile.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Generation-Extremely-Headlights/dp/B018SYK6GW?ie=UTF8&keywords=JDM%20ASTAR%208th%20Generation&qid=1465468914&ref_=sr_1_2&s=automotive&sr=1-2

The Eviteks have the keyed plate that comes off and is held in place by the original clips on the bike. Then the rubber boot goes back on (unmodified), then the LED unit goes through the hole in the boot into the plate and twist locks in the plate.
 Yours don't do that?... or were you just being facetious and complaining about the whole clip in process (retaining tensioner) that all H4s use.

fartymarty said:

Yours don't do that?... or were you just being facetious and complaining about the whole clip in process (retaining tensioner) that all H4s use. >>

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 06:51:45 AM »
  No, i was not being facetious or complaining, ....

Great Ken', because between the efforts of max' and I, there really is already enough complaining going on around here.  ;D

The adjustability of the lights you link to are interesting, but the cut off shown in the photo appears to be slanted for driving on the left side of the road.
I don't know enough about headlights to know if that is from the effect of the reflectors on the vehicle they used for the photo or if that is a built in to the lock and twist of the LED base and the shield. I'll think it's from the vehicle's reflector. The shield itself appears substantial and not likely to be adjustable (bendable) like the Eviteks. Still it is nice to see they are actually building in some adjustability in the base, and comparing them to the original bulbs to try and consider focal points.

Offline kennqc

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 07:08:42 AM »
I appreciate the efforts of both of you guys.  thanks to you and max, i am just a few minutes away from installing the headlamps, the turn signal bulbs, and the city lights.

ken