Author Topic: A couple of LED options, potentially  (Read 14380 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

A couple of LED options, potentially
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »
My buddy just put these in his Multistrada, drop in part.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172096925063

Another friend got a pair of these and put one in his ZRX1200 and the other one in his C14, alongside the 35W HID, because he's that way.
http://www.vleds.com/shop-products/lmz/lmz-high-low/h4-lmz-platinum.html

I make no claims of anything, reliability, warranty, how it affects your tire pressure, your fob, oil change intervals, love life etc.  You're on your own. Strictly FYI/YMMV, fly at your own risk.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: A couple of LED options, potentially
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »
I thought that it had been pretty much accepted that the Evitek with the shields were the only ones that had acceptable light patterns and everybody liked them.  (OK, most liked them.)

No?, are we still looking?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 08:27:09 AM »
The Evitek is 1/3 the price of the Vleads. Do you have the Evitek units installed Marty? If so, how do you like them?

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 10:46:29 AM »
I'm not on here much and just received the info from 2 friends, so I posted it for the benefit of the forum.  I have gotten a fair amount of help and it was time for a little payback/karma straightening. 

If there is a better solution in that thread, I'm all for it.   I will get that info and pass it to my friends or perhaps use it in my Speed Triple, which has crappy lighting.  Well, when compared to the 55W HID I have on my C14, everything is crappy lighting.

Ok, that wasn't a thread.  It was a link to Amazon.  I found the Evitek thread, I may give that a shot, assuming it will fit. My S3 has very little room to work with, basically just what's inside the headlight.  If you click the link, the picture gets way bigger.

20141008_195156
by chris smith, on Flickr
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 01:42:03 PM »
The Evitek is 1/3 the price of the Vleads. Do you have the Evitek units installed Marty? If so, how do you like them?

First I don't drive at night much...but yes I do have them installed and I like them. ( <----There that answered the question, below is the blah blah blah answer  )

They are brighter than stock OEM, look the same as the HIDs I just took out, and have a defined cutoff. The only difference I noticed  (and it's fairly unimportant and insignificant) from the HIDs and stock OEMs is: There is a downward projected line of light on either side of the bike that is seen on the ground and is very noticeable at night especially when following several C14s going down the road. The HIDs had the exact same pattern as the OEM bulbs only brighter and whiter, however the LEDs have split the single beam on each side into a more scattered pattern of two or three lines.
 If you are not familiar with the pattern that I mention here, you almost need to lean left or right and look down to see the ones made by your own bike, like I said it's most  noticeable when following other C14s at night. I assume that the new pattern is because both the HIDs and the OEM had one arc/filament (low beam on the OEMs) where as the the LEDs have an LED on either side for the low beam (and two additional for the high beam) so the focus point is a little more spread out left and right instead of dead center.

I never liked the HID setup as it just had too many wires and I was always messing with them to keep them from rubbing other wires when I turned the front wheel. Most didn't have
this problem with their HIDS, but I have both Denali lights and Hyper Whites low on my front wheel so that was already lots of wires down in that area, the HID wires were too much
 in the same dark area that I found to be a real pain to work in. The LEDs do not involve much more wiring than the stock wires, and if one were to go out, it would be very easy to replace it
with the OEM bulb from my tool bag, that wasn't the case with the HIDs.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »
if one were to go out, it would be very easy to replace it
with the OEM bulb from my tool bag, that wasn't the case with the HIDs.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even think of this. Very important on a long trip to be able pull out an H4 from the tool bag or even pop into a auto parts store and pick one up to replace a broken bulb.

I ride in the dark a lot as I commute in the wee hours. Good lighting has become much more important to me. I may give these as shot.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 01:26:43 PM »
Since Marty doesn't ride in the dark much, why is he obsessed with lighting?  ;-)

Rhino, post back if/when you do try them with your experience.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I didn't even think of this. Very important on a long trip to be able pull out an H4 from the tool bag or even pop into a auto parts store and pick one up to replace a broken bulb.

I can do that with my HID kit.  Just unplug the HID adapter and plug in a standard Halogen bulb, no need to disassemble anything or take off anything.

Besides, we have a DUAL headlight- if one goes out, we have another one still working.  Not like it is a single bulb or hi/low side-beside system.

I am not saying I recommend HID, I am just saying that *MY* kit doesn't negate quickly using standard bulbs.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 11:04:11 AM »
Since Marty doesn't ride in the dark much, why is he obsessed with lighting?  ;-)

:rotflmao: I can see your point, but to take the question seriously....lighting is also about being seen so that's one reason, the other being that with less experience riding at night the lighting is even more important. In the Texas summer heat I like to leave on a trip early, well before first light just to get out of the heat as soon as possible. If I could afford a FLIR heads up display I would probably leave on my trips around 11PM. However, since I can't afford a FLIR, 3-4AM is the earliest I leave cruising at below optimal speeds so I have the best chance of avoiding deer. As dawn approaches I try to stop for breakfast during sunrise because it seems harder for me to spot the little darlings during that half hour on either side of sunrise.

I can do that with my HID kit.  Just unplug the HID adapter and plug in a standard Halogen bulb, no need to disassemble anything or take off anything.

I am not saying I recommend HID, I am just saying that *MY* kit doesn't negate quickly using standard bulbs.

I agree, mine was the same, except like I said earlier I had trouble keeping all those wires out of the way, so my original plugs were taped up and tucked well in out of sight (left one being used for a trigger circuit for the HID relay). In addition it just isn't that easy to work in that area for me and my hands aren't that big. So yes, max' is correct (that actually hurt a little  ;) ) but for me replacing the LED with an OEM bulb on the side of the road or even in the motel parking lot would be easier by a factor of 5-10...more like 10 I think versus replacing a HID with a bulb.

Over all, just for lighting quality alone IMO, the HIDs are the best (the ones that move in and out for beam changing) followed by the LEDs, followed by the so called Bi-xenon HIDs that have a HID low beam and a traditional filament high beam, followed by the OEM bulbs and or/ extra bright but shorter life high output filament bulbs. I suspect that LED or HID projectors would be at the absolute tops in lighting quality but I have no experience with those.

sailor_chic

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 04:51:35 PM »
Here's a picture with a brand new C14 of  the left with stock halogen bulbs, and my bike on the right with New Brights LED's.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 06:51:57 AM »
Here's a picture with a brand new C14 of  the left with stock halogen bulbs, and my bike on the right with New Brights LED's.

Wow! What a difference!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »
Wow! What a difference!

Indeed.... including greatly increased glare (I think the photo is at standing height, so it is not supposed to be in the beam).  This is why I really wish we had some easy/good options for projectors.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 07:09:52 PM »
Indeed.... including greatly increased glare (I think the photo is at standing height, so it is not supposed to be in the beam).  This is why I really wish we had some easy/good options for projectors.
I would love to see an image showing the two same bikes parked the same distance from a wall or garage door to see the spread of light as well as the cut-off that they both have.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline kennqc

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 10:14:08 AM »
here is a question for those of you that have the led headlights.  How do you get the rubber weather cup back on around the light plug to seal against the weather?  they install easily enough once i relearn again how to install them but i do not have any idea how you get the rubber boot over the heat sink fan extension on the back?

ken

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 03:26:31 PM »
here is a question for those of you that have the led headlights.  How do you get the rubber weather cup back on around the light plug to seal against the weather?  they install easily enough once i relearn again how to install them but i do not have any idea how you get the rubber boot over the heat sink fan extension on the back?

I don't think you can... and if you do/coul, you will block the heat sinks.  LED lights can't deal with heat and if you cover the fan or block the heat sink fins, the bulb life will be greatly reduced.

sailor_chic

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 04:00:48 PM »
My  LED'S are the New Brights. The fan unscrews from the bulb so the weather boot  can be installed properly.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 04:29:05 PM »
My  LED'S are the New Brights. The fan unscrews from the bulb so the weather boot  can be installed properly.

Cool.  I bet there are several designs out there that don't accommodate the seal, though.

Offline kennqc

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 05:08:03 AM »
the only way i can think of making the boot fit it to cut down one side so that you can open it up and then you can fit it around the narrower throat of the bulb just in front of the heat sink/fan. it should then fit together and fit into the surround.  hopefully a little silicone tape and away you go. i dont dare run without any boots.

I will check and see if the fan unscrews.  how do you like the New Brights?  I can always send these back...

***update: the the keyed based plate  just behind the leds comes off, now if you could somehow make the retaining tensioner lock...

sailor_chic

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 08:34:14 AM »
I'm quite pleased with the New Brights. On low beam there awesome. The high beam is less impressive, but I hardly use high. Low is sufficient.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 08:39:07 AM »

***update: the the keyed based plate  just behind the leds comes off, now if you could somehow make the retaining tensioner lock...

What brand do you have?

The Eviteks have the keyed plate that comes off and is held in place by the original clips on the bike. Then the rubber boot goes back on (unmodified), then the LED unit goes through the hole in the boot into the plate and twist locks in the plate.
 Yours don't do that?... or were you just being facetious and complaining about the whole clip in process (retaining tensioner) that all H4s use.
If your arm is long enough you can watch how the clip goes in from the front of the bike through the lens.
Below link is how it's done on a car(? well, I think it's a car). Some tweaking can be done (as seen in the original 8 page ADV thread) by use of spacers, and bending the shields, and changing the twist by shaving the plastic tabs, etc, but I haven't experimented with mine yet.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71tknWWS4EL.jpg