Author Topic: Bifocal sunglasses  (Read 23781 times)

Offline clogan

Re: Bifocal sunglasses
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 08:31:43 AM »
Mercifully my vision at any distance over about 4 feet is still excellent. I only need glasses for the up close stuff. I will check out the other suggested sites though. I appreciate the assistance y'all are giving me!

If that's the case, you might find something at your local Dollar Store (Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, et al). Back when my distance vision was still good, that's what did.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 08:44:36 AM »
I have polarized prescription bifocals (both clear and sunglasses. Sunglasses are good in the van and on the bike. I wish the division between top and bottom prescriptions was a little bit lower on the lens, but I just let the glasses slide a little south on my nose and everything's fine.  We'll ask for that next time.

I've noticed that the LCD screen (on the bike) is just a little bit dark with them on, but it's just about black if I have the visor down as well...  Not sure if the visor is adding a polarizing effect as well, or if it's just some weird unexplained (to me anyway) phenomenon...

I usually ride with the visor halfway open anyway, so it's never been a real problem, just a nuisance sometimes...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 12:36:07 PM »
Of all the changes due to aging, at least so far, the biggest PITA for me has been my near vision going down the tubes. I do not mind wearing glasses to correct this but it causes all kinds of problems as I do not wear glasses for distance, not the least of which is I am now having trouble reading a GPS on the bike. Growl. Working on anything in another gigantic pain because the glasses get dirty, slip (although I have a pair of magnetic jobs that DO NOT slip) into a different and useless position or I cannot get the lens between my eyeball and what I want to see. Annoying! And now I need different diopter glasses for different tasks, more annoying!

Oh well, I guess if that is my worst medical problem or condition, I am in great shape. Still, the reading glasses thing makes what used to be effortless now either difficult or impossible.

For the GPS I think I am going to get a couple of welder's magnifying lens and attach them to the bottom of my visor.

Brian

I have polarized prescription bifocals (both clear and sunglasses. Sunglasses are good in the van and on the bike. I wish the division between top and bottom prescriptions was a little bit lower on the lens, but I just let the glasses slide a little south on my nose and everything's fine.  We'll ask for that next time.

I've noticed that the LCD screen (on the bike) is just a little bit dark with them on, but it's just about black if I have the visor down as well...  Not sure if the visor is adding a polarizing effect as well, or if it's just some weird unexplained (to me anyway) phenomenon...

I usually ride with the visor halfway open anyway, so it's never been a real problem, just a nuisance sometimes...

Jamie
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »
For the GPS I think I am going to get a couple of welder's magnifying lens and attach them to the bottom of my visor.

You might want to try the Optix large I just mentioned if you plan on adding to the visor.  They are more expensive, but how would you attached a solid, non-curved, welder's magnifying lens insert onto a shield?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »
Duct tape. Neatly applied, of course, because 'Nothing screams bad craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!'.

I cut the lenses up as needed and then just use something like a dab of hot- glue or silicone seal to keep them in place.

Brian

You might want to try the Optix large I just mentioned if you plan on adding to the visor.  They are more expensive, but how would you attached a solid, non-curved, welder's magnifying lens insert onto a shield?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »
Duct tape. Neatly applied, of course, because 'Nothing screams bad craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!'.

LOL!

I cut the lenses up as needed and then just use something like a dab of hot- glue or silicone seal to keep them in place.

Oh Brian, that is not up to your standards!!!!  You are going to embarrass Concours owners everywhere :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 01:30:41 PM »
I have a pair of Ray-Bans with no line progressive lenses. I bought them here: http://www.readingglasses.com/search/?searchinput=&sorting=0&cat_id=_1000113&view=0

They also have Maui Jim's with bifocal lenses.

They are a good company to order from.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 03:07:10 PM »
I have a pair of Ray-Bans with no line progressive lenses. I bought them here: http://www.readingglasses.com/search/?searchinput=&sorting=0&cat_id=_1000113&view=0

I keep learning more and more!  I had no idea that progressive, non-prescription reading glasses with plain-o tops even existed, much less sunglasses.  No polarized options, though, which is a bummer (especially at some of those prices).

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 04:07:45 PM »
I've noticed several references to polarized glasses, these are a disaster for me on a motorcycle. Any plastic that's been shaped into a curve has induced stress areas, face shield, windscreen etc and polarized lenses make those areas of stress visible as colors. Engineers use this phenomenon to model structures in plastic and expose them to stress to visualize areas of concentrated stress. I've tried polarized lenses and I can't see through a plastic surface without a rainbow of colors disrupting my vision. Add two layers and it's really disruptive. I use only non-polarized lenses. Results may vary....
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 05:06:01 PM »
I've been wearing bifocal sunglasses / safety glasses for over 10 years, we used to have a COG member that had a site called sunglasses guy, but I can't find him, I bought 4 sets of those wraparound style units, that came with clear and dark bifocal lenses and 3 other shades, including amber night lenses, for about $20 delivered... well, they cost more now, as the demand seems higher...

quick google gave me these tho,
http://sunglassrage.com/bifocal-sunglasses/?gclid=CISJwN_qhcQCFQuBaQodK6gAHw

still, you can get what ya need..

personally I think paying $100 for a pair of glasses that don't come from an eye doctor is ridiculous... it's all in the name they carry, and if you drop them, or sit on them, you're out $100.... silly.
The best reading glasses I have cost $19, and I have progressive "Lacoste" framed  main working glasses I paid $400 for from my eyedoctor, that really don't compare to the el-cheepo's... go figger'

just to note, I originally went in search of these when I was on the way home from a ride, and had to read maps on my tank bag map holder, so I was wearing mini reading glasses down low on my nose inside my helmet... well, after an hour in bright sun, scanning the map, and looking over the tops while riding, I realized the reading glasses were focusing the sun glare off the plastic on the map cover directly to my retina's... and the resulting sunburn and UV welding burn was obvious....
ouch...
no more of that nonsense, and unfortunately my progressive reading glasses (no mag on top, some mag in middle for computer screen distance, and lateral scanning, and high mag on bottom) simply recreate the intense retinal burn...

takes a few miles to get used to the bifocal sunglasses, but when you get them right, and simple scan down with the eyes to see the gps, it works really well.. oh, and refrain from the polarized ones... most modern helmet shields are polarized, and my helmet has a flip down internal tinted "aviator style" insert, which doubles the polarized effect... they don't mix with polarized glasses at all...
ymmv

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 06:04:04 PM »
Here ya' go. Instead of a GoPro...you get the idea:
http://youtu.be/3_hAioFWeco
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 09:55:23 PM »

What is that in reply to?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »
http://youtu.be/3_hAioFWeco

What is that in reply to?

I wondered the same thing. ..and...and..., how do we know it wasn't a GoPro, Bro?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
They also have Maui Jim's with bifocal lenses.

Not to be confused with VirginiaJim..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 08:51:32 AM »
I've been wearing bifocal sunglasses / safety glasses for over 10 years, we used to have a COG member that had a site called sunglasses guy, but I can't find him, I bought 4 sets of those wraparound style units, that came with clear and dark bifocal lenses and 3 other shades, including amber night lenses, for about $20 delivered... well, they cost more now, as the demand seems higher...

quick google gave me these tho,
http://sunglassrage.com/bifocal-sunglasses/?gclid=CISJwN_qhcQCFQuBaQodK6gAHw

still, you can get what ya need..

personally I think paying $100 for a pair of glasses that don't come from an eye doctor is ridiculous... it's all in the name they carry, and if you drop them, or sit on them, you're out $100.... silly.
The best reading glasses I have cost $19, and I have progressive "Lacoste" framed  main working glasses I paid $400 for from my eyedoctor, that really don't compare to the el-cheepo's... go figger'

just to note, I originally went in search of these when I was on the way home from a ride, and had to read maps on my tank bag map holder, so I was wearing mini reading glasses down low on my nose inside my helmet... well, after an hour in bright sun, scanning the map, and looking over the tops while riding, I realized the reading glasses were focusing the sun glare off the plastic on the map cover directly to my retina's... and the resulting sunburn and UV welding burn was obvious....
ouch...
no more of that nonsense, and unfortunately my progressive reading glasses (no mag on top, some mag in middle for computer screen distance, and lateral scanning, and high mag on bottom) simply recreate the intense retinal burn...

takes a few miles to get used to the bifocal sunglasses, but when you get them right, and simple scan down with the eyes to see the gps, it works really well.. oh, and refrain from the polarized ones... most modern helmet shields are polarized, and my helmet has a flip down internal tinted "aviator style" insert, which doubles the polarized effect... they don't mix with polarized glasses at all...
ymmv

I will say that the lenses in mine are great. I have no issues with them. Yes, of course if you buy a frame from a manufacturer like Ray Ban, or Maui Jim, they will cost more, but that is true whether you buy plain lenses in them or progressive lenses. I have issues with cheap sunglasses lenses, many are not very good optically and cause me to have eyestrain and headaches.

There are cheaper options from www.readingglasses.com though, and I don't think $95 for a pair of progressive lens sunglasses is expensive. I have had mine for over a year and use them almost daily, I travel and am on cruise ships almost weekly and spend a lot of time reading in the sun. They are good lenses and have not scratched, despite less than careful use.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »
One of the first safety tips I picked up about 40 years ago was not to wear polarized sunglasses on a motorcycle. It was said that the glare caused by oil or grease on the road surface could be masked by the polarized glasses resulting in a missed opportunity to avoid a crash.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 07:21:06 AM »
One of the first safety tips I picked up about 40 years ago was not to wear polarized sunglasses on a motorcycle. It was said that the glare caused by oil or grease on the road surface could be masked by the polarized glasses resulting in a missed opportunity to avoid a crash.

I never thought of that.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »
I've noticed several references to polarized glasses, these are a disaster for me on a motorcycle. Any plastic that's been shaped into a curve has induced stress areas, face shield, windscreen etc and polarized lenses make those areas of stress visible as colors. Engineers use this phenomenon to model structures in plastic and expose them to stress to visualize areas of concentrated stress. I've tried polarized lenses and I can't see through a plastic surface without a rainbow of colors disrupting my vision. Add two layers and it's really disruptive. I use only non-polarized lenses. Results may vary....

That explains the weird vibrant colours in the sky...

I thought it was flashbacks...   But I don't have those experiences to flash back to...  I guess it's the polarization...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 06:37:43 PM »
www.readers.com is another good source for $15-20 glasses including sunglasses. I've got a couple of pairs of bi-focal sunglasses from them. I don't like wearing glasses when riding; seems to amplify any buffeting. The sunshield in my helmet works good for me. I put a strip of very dark tint across the top of it to block direct view of the sun.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 10:46:34 PM »
I put a strip of very dark tint across the top of it to block direct view of the sun.

That was a good idea!