Author Topic: Warped :(  (Read 3920 times)

Offline galaxieman

Warped :(
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »
Looks like I'm taking my bike in for warranty work...  I've been having the rotor pulsation issue that seems to creep up on the '08/'09s, so I pulled the front end apart and did the 'scuff the rotors' trick in case the pads had done uneven material deposits.  When I buttoned everything back up and pumped the brakes back up, I spun the front wheel to check for warpage, and the left one is definitely not straight.  Blech.  The service counter guy at the local Kawi shop didn't know that the Connies have a 3-year warranty, so we'll see how this goes.

I'll keep you guys posted, bike is headed in on Monday.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline Scaffolder

Re: Warped :(
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:25:22 PM »
Good luck! I just went through a fight to get them put on my 2010 with 38,000 miles on it, but in the end they finally folded and did it under warranty.
Joel from Maine.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:13:08 PM »
The service counter guy at the local Kawi shop didn't know that the Connies have a 3-year warranty

That is pretty sad.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:37:42 PM »
I'd imagine they don't sell many out here, since a buying a touring bike on this rock doesn't make much sense.  Hell, anything over 500CC is pretty much overkill here.  The C14 will exceed every speed limit on the island without ever shifting gears.  It's got just over 20k, but rotor warpage is not a wear item and is a known issue in the owner community.  Stupid part is I'm dropping it off on Monday, and fully expect them to have it over a week waiting on parts.  At least I sorted out the luggage situation on my 250 last week:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »
I'd imagine they don't sell many out here, since a buying a touring bike on this rock doesn't make much sense.  Hell, anything over 500CC is pretty much overkill here.  The C14 will exceed every speed limit on the island without ever shifting gears.  It's got just over 20k, but rotor warpage is not a wear item and is a known issue in the owner community.  Stupid part is I'm dropping it off on Monday, and fully expect them to have it over a week waiting on parts.  At least I sorted out the luggage situation on my 250 last week:

That is an EX-250?  Damn!  Looks a hell of a lot more awesome than my EX-250 looked (my first bike, which I think was a 1999??)  Here, I even found a photo!  Sometimes I miss that bike- so easy to control and lightweight... and I had NO problem flat-footing it.  Vibrated the hell of out me, though :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »
I, too, had the left front rotor replaced on my 08, at about 15k miles. I'm starting to get another pulsing(35k), so before my warranty is up, I'll be taking it back in to get looked at.

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »
So I called the dealership back today.  Rear brake recall parts are going to take a week to 10 days to come in (no surprise).  However, their tech checked the rotors and 'can't replicate the problem'.  He said the left rotor runout was .003", and it has to be greater than .010" to be out of spec.  On my ride down to the shop the rotor didn't pulse as badly, and wasn't squeaking anymore, most likely thanks to the scuffing I had done.  But the pulsing was still there.  Guess I'll go back to riding it, and if it gets 'bad' again (i.e. starts squealing badly again), I'll just bring it in instead of seeing if I can remedy the problem.  I still can't believe that rotor is only .003" out based on being able to see the movement as the wheel spun with the naked eye...

Edit: Guess I'll be on the 250 for a while anyway...

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 01:53:22 PM »
So I called the dealership back today.  Rear brake recall parts are going to take a week to 10 days to come in (no surprise).  However, their tech checked the rotors and 'can't replicate the problem'.  He said the left rotor runout was .003", and it has to be greater than .010" to be out of spec.  On my ride down to the shop the rotor didn't pulse as badly, and wasn't squeaking anymore, most likely thanks to the scuffing I had done.  But the pulsing was still there.  Guess I'll go back to riding it, and if it gets 'bad' again (i.e. starts squealing badly again), I'll just bring it in instead of seeing if I can remedy the problem.  I still can't believe that rotor is only .003" out based on being able to see the movement as the wheel spun with the naked eye...

Edit: Guess I'll be on the 250 for a while anyway...
When I was getting my issues the first time, I didn't do anything to help/remedy the problem. I simply took it in and they did the run-out check and then ordered the parts. Had I done any sanding/scuffing, etc, I'd likely have gotten the same answer as you.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »
I thought .005 was the run out number needed, but not 100% sure.
Joel from Maine.