Author Topic: want the connie to hang with bmw  (Read 5924 times)

Offline scott 2

want the connie to hang with bmw
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:58:21 PM »
I just got back from Missouri.  Went to a bmw rally with friends that have bmw bikes.  While riding with them in the twistys,  the concours does great as long as the roads are smooth.  But if the roads are ruff I feel the bike wants to throw me into the ditch.  One of my friends said the suspension is to soft?  The bmw bikes seem to have no problems riding hard on ruff roads.  I live in Illinois were the roads are ruff most of the time and I don't want to be beaten up riding around here.  Is there a happy spot.  The front end is stock with 15w oil in it.  And the back is stock with about 10psi in it.  Will new springs make it to ruff  for illinois roads?   I only get to ride the twisty once a year. 

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: want the connie to hang with bmw
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »
Front end mods:
1.0 Kg/mm springs, Racetech emulators with the little blue springs, 15 weight oil
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/forkUpgrade.htm

Rear end mods:
Shock from ZZR1200
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/shock.htm

Makes the rough parts more palatable and comfortable too.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:01:40 PM »
Might consider the tires you are running as well.....lumber wagon ME880's will not be fun in the twisties....or running tires at a high inflation will also affect handling...

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 01:17:21 AM »
Go for the free mods first and this involves getting your stock suspension set up right in the first place.

For your one off twisties - try at least 30psi rear and #3 and increase the preload on the front (more air or more turns in  on the pre-load adjusters). Check all the rear suspension mounts and bearings, inc the swing arm. Then think about changing the rear shock oil for a heavier wieght.

If after all this you're still not happy, only then throw some $'s at your C-10.

When I had my stock suspension on my 06, R1100 and R1150 had trouble keeping up with me. Have these BM riders tried riding your bike to see if they can keep up with other BM riders?

Safe riding  ;)

Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline jklhill

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 01:04:10 PM »
Front end mods:
1.0 Kg/mm springs, Racetech emulators with the little blue springs, 15 weight oil
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/forkUpgrade.htm

Rear end mods:
Shock from ZZR1200
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/shock.htm

Makes the rough parts more palatable and comfortable too.

:thumbs:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
with only 10 psi in the rear shock, it's a wonder you can use the sidestand at all...
you need at least 20 psi to get the bike to a point it will lean to use the sidestand.
I recomend at least 35 psi if you are a light person, and if heavier, 40 - 45 psi min, rebound at 2 or 3.
as for the front, you didn't mention year of bike (pre 94 w/air assist, or post 94 w/o air), a simple swap of springs to progressives for less than $80 will make an improvement, coupled with new clean fluid 15wt and you will be amazed... or you can spend $200-$300 or more on emulators and sonic springs, but I would go progressives first, you will see a definate improvement.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline yoman

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:47:50 PM »
looking to make some changes to the front end of my 2002. Tha Kaw. manual only shows front legs with air assist and drain plugs. How do I adjust preload and drain the fork oil?????
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 03:16:22 PM »
you must have a pre 94 manual, get a later model one.
preload is accomplished with the adjusters on top of the forks, fluid change requires fork removal dumping and draining.
NOTE
the pre 94 manual and forks differ on fluid change and fluid level measurement means, there is a different process, and level for your 02, seek the 02 manual for that procedure. The level on those requires removal of springs, and level is verified with forks compressed, pre 94 forks are measured with forks extended.
do not confuse the service...

Offline jklhill

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »
you can drill and tap the legs for drain screws, but you still need to remove and disassemble them to do it correctly......lest you get chips in the lowers...not good. ???

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 04:11:16 PM »
If you are already grinding off the peg feelers:

I have to say that by learning how to ride quickly (body position) can really crank up the speed without any mods. Looks odd though, my bud on the old FJ and me on the Connie, head over mirror, one cheek on the seat, knee out  :-X.

If not, get some Avons and practice.

Offline scott 2

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »
Thanks for the advise.  I ride a 2002 on avon venmons and I do scrape the pegs occassionly.  Its just when the road turns ruff its hard to stay on the bike.   I'll have to do some work this winter to get it right.   I don't think the wife will let me spend a whole lot of money.  :(   I have one more question with 35 psi in the rear shock.  How well does the bike ride on ruff roads?

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »
I have one more question with 35 psi in the rear shock.  How well does the bike ride on ruff roads?

How much do you weigh?

What preload do you have on the front forks?
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 12:38:48 AM »
I too went from about 10psi to 40 and it has made night and day difference (about 230lbs street dressed). How the rough roads feel I cannot answer that, I do like smoother roads but ride everything coming and going. I recommend trying it, I use the compressor @ work dialed down to 40 on the gauge to make sure that I don't blow the seals. Don't like it? Going back is free.

I went with that and the recommended above fork setting and tire PSI settings, have liked it and have never went back.

You could research "sag", it is how motorcycle suspension is set up by the serious crowd. And I still stand by the other freebie, or at least the cost of a book: body position. For example, Codes "Twist of the Wrist" has been a staple for a very long time.

Offline yoman

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 06:21:27 AM »
you must have a pre 94 manual, get a later model one.
preload is accomplished with the adjusters on top of the forks, fluid change requires fork removal dumping and draining.
NOTE
the pre 94 manual and forks differ on fluid change and fluid level measurement means, there is a different process, and level for your 02, seek the 02 manual for that procedure. The level on those requires removal of springs, and level is verified with forks compressed, pre 94 forks are measured with forks extended.
do not confuse the service...

The Kaw. manual I have is for up to a 2002. It has suppliments for wiring etc. but nothing about suspension.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline scott 2

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 06:55:20 AM »
I have the front all the way down.  And I am about 260 dressed.  I will try more air in the back and go for a test ride today.    Thanks for the help.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 05:25:27 PM »
I have the front all the way down.

That may be a little harsh. Might want to back that off some.

Offline yoman

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 12:57:12 PM »
Is it possible to increase the preload on a 2002 with the forks on the bike? How might this be accomplished?
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »
Is it possible to increase the preload on a 2002 with the forks on the bike? How might this be accomplished?
Yes, the pre load screws are on the top of your shock tubes. Another term for Pre-load is  Ride Height or Sag adjustment.
Many people wrongly  assume that  pre load adjustment  makes the suspension softer or harder. It does not. The spring rate will remain the same.
 You can accomplish the same ride height setting by sliding the shock tubes up and down in the triple tree but it is much simpler to turn those screws in or out.
 You do not have air pressure settings on 2002  front forks.  However the volume of air can be increased or decreased  by adding or removing shock fluid.

Check out the video. He is showing how to install Pre-load adjusters on a bike that did not have them.  You already have them.
Notice at the end he says : Adjust to make harder or softer----WRONG!
Honda 599 Preload Fork Cap Adjuster Kit
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle