Author Topic: Shell Rotella T & T6  (Read 3600 times)

Offline JDM

Shell Rotella T & T6
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »
I just got off the phone with the technical folks at Shell. Shell Rotella T & T6 has been tested and approved for all motorcycles with a wet clutch. It meets JASO DH-2 MA spec. It is safe to run in the Connie. I have used Rotella T for years in my 02. The reason I like Rotella T is it is easy to find on the road, but I have never had to add any to my Connie (which has 74,000+ miles on it) between oil changes. The Shell technical representative said do not use any oil that has friction inhibitors in a bike with a wet clutch.  I QUOTE "Many motorcycles have a wet clutch, where the clutch plates are immersed in oil. Some oils make the friction plates in the clutch slippery so that the clutch does not engage properly when shifting gears, or the clutch slips when the engine exceeds a certain torque level. Some oils contain friction reducing chemicals. A properly specified motorcycle oil will still allow for the appropriate lubrication and cooling of a motorcycle clutch, whilst maintaining 100% of the drive to be transmitted by the clutch, even under arduous operating conditions. One element of the JASO-MA standard is a friction test designed to determine suitability for wet clutch usage. An oil that meets JASO-MA is considered appropriate for wet clutch operations. Oils marketed as motorcycle-specific will carry the JASO-MA label." THIS IS STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH.......
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline Strawboss

Re: Shell Rotella T & T6
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
When did they start using horses for tech support!? Sorry, easy target. Thanks for the info, I use it too whenever I can in everything I got.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
I have 28,000 miles on my T6 oils and haven't tried any thing else. My last bike went 44,000 miles on it too with no issues. Besides totaling it.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »
T6 FTW!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:51:23 AM »
Based on recommendations here, I've put in Shell Rotella T/T6 since I acquired the bike.  I purchased my '06 with 1538 miles on it (I bought in in 2009 used, PO wasn't happy with it and traded it in for something different), and the dealer changed the oil once before I did.  But starting around 3K miles, she's had Rotella T or T6 in her.

Keep in mind I've done some cold weather operation with this bike (below 32 degrees Farenheit), but after a nasty spill a couple of winters back I have adopted a 'no freezing weather' rule, as you never know when you might find a lone patch of ice... The Rotella T performed adequately at these low temps, although the bike took a little extra coaxing to start when cold (typical of what I've read here).

No issues so far.  Shifts are smooth, especially after an oil change, and the bike isn't burning/losing any oil (haven't had to add any between oil changes).  Cam pitting is 'typical', i.e. similar to what I've read/seen here on the forum; no deep pitting so far.  One happy camper here!

When I hit the lottery or whatever, I still want to install SISF's torque cams, of course!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 10:37:51 AM »
Win enough money and you can buy a set for everyone  :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :thumbs: :thumbs:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »
Don't like the T6 in the 'winter'.  I believe it's because the cold temp viscosity (5W40) is too low.  After the bike warmed, the shifting feel got better.  I haven't tried the other as I found a Valvoline JASO MA oil at Advance which seems ok.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Motorcycle-Oil-10W-40-Quart-Valvoline_8080023-P_N3254_T|GRP2046_____

I probably got it during one of their frequent sales. 
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html