Author Topic: Murphs' Concours Manual Petcock Conversion Kit  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Mort Canard

Murphs' Concours Manual Petcock Conversion Kit
« on: August 12, 2021, 10:44:37 AM »
Has anyone had experience with this kit?? Anything in particular to look for when installing it?

I would like to put the possibility of a hydrolock behind me. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:07:27 PM by Mort Canard »
Little wheel turns by the fire and the rod.
Big wheel turns by the grace of god.
Every time that wheel comes round,
'Bound to cover just a little more ground.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Murphs' Concours Manual Petcock Conversion Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 07:28:36 PM »
How would that stop hydro-lock?  How do you stop it from hydro-locking  when you turn the petcock to ON?
Your  chances  of hydro-locking  with a manual petcock are  higher than with  an OEM petcock.                                                             We had recent  incident where a person  had just installed a manual petcock and reported that they  severely  hydro-locked  the engine. Bent rod.  Engine is toast.

If your not going to install OverFLow tubes  then the next best thing is go to Murphs and buy a new OEM petcock. You will be   far safer.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Mort Canard

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 04:06:32 PM »
How would that stop hydro-lock?  How do you stop it from hydro-locking  when you turn the petcock to ON?
Your  chances  of hydro-locking  with a manual petcock are  higher than with  an OEM petcock.                                                             We had recent  incident where a person  had just installed a manual petcock and reported that they  severely  hydro-locked  the engine. Bent rod.  Engine is toast.

If your not going to install OverFLow tubes  then the next best thing is go to Murphs and buy a new OEM petcock. You will be   far safer.

I spent a lot of years turning the petcock off when leaving the motorcycle. That was standard procedure on my Moto Guzzi, Norton, Triumph, and even an old Honda. I don't think it would be a problem getting back into the habit.

The fuel won't flow past the needle valves fast enough to hydrolock if you turn on the petcock and then start the engine within a minute or two.

OTOH, do you have a link to the procedure of installing overflow tubes in the bowls? 

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 05:27:00 PM »
ive (sort of) done both. and i agree, i have a garage of vintage bikes so shutting the petock off, for me, is part of the shut down procedure.  that being said, i just added an inline valve. which i was told would be too restrictive. bs. i have it on both my C10s.

I also added  overflows, easy to do. Have actually done that 3 times, for both my bikes and a 3rd set on my buddys.

Of course, i was told by another group i did that wrong as well. 4 years on: zero issues.

overflow tubes: use 4mm brass tube (hobby stores sell them). I think i used a 3.75mm drill bit. drill out bottom of bowl from top in rigid drill press. chamfer hole slightly for lead in, i used green sleeving loctite. MY tubes are about 4-6mm over bowl line, some prefer 8 or 10mm. taller would be safer for sure, but ive had no issues.

i used a 90 degree 1/4"  inline cutoff, you can see it here:

you have to aim the fuel line off the carbs down, run the line across, to the 90, then up to the petcock.  the 1/4" valve works just fine. Have done thousands of miles with it and i don't ride them easy.

i made a small plate that screws to the airbox lid  existing hardware, and pokes out in front of the LH side cover. thats where the valve is located:

you can get the valve anywhere, but this is fine.  https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/raider-shut-off-valve-1-4-in

or similar.

fwiw, i do still have the stock petcocks on both bikes. both are rebuilt.

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

gpineau

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 09:44:07 AM »
Mine has a manual shutoff but who remembers to turn it off? I had to change the oil and filter  3 times in one week because of carb troubles.  I finally broke down and spent the money. Now I will never have the problem again. It cost about $80 but in my opinion worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EP1N39A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 12:19:19 PM »
solenoid valves can fail as well. (it's actually what i do for a living, engineer at a valve/actuation company).  I never forget to turn my manual one off.  Its like forgetting to put the sidestand down, to me.   8)
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline cra-z1000

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 05:00:47 AM »
solenoid valves can fail as well. (it's actually what i do for a living, engineer at a valve/actuation company).  I never forget to turn my manual one off.  Its like forgetting to put the sidestand down, to me.   8)

Great....now someone will find a way to connect the petcock to the sidestand to not forget...😂

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 08:58:07 AM »
small linear actuator powered off the side stand switch to operate a full flow ball valve.   8) :stirpot: :rotflmao: (kidding, kidding) 

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 02:45:12 AM »
Great....now someone will find a way to connect the petcock to the sidestand to not forget...😂
Worse still, what if ya center stand her?  :rotflmao:

Overall, the best system is to use the OEM vacuum petcock, but to fit overflow tubes, just in case of the failure of the petcock at the same time as a float needle is stuck open, or like gpineau convert her to EFI.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 12:25:26 PM »
I've had one bike with a manual petcock.  I was always forgetting to turn it back on assuming I remembered to turn it off.   Best way I've found to avoid that is FI.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 12:54:09 PM »
FI has its failings as well. I have a friend, right now, chasing issues with his older sprints fi. high pressure fuel spraying at the coil packs is not my idea of fun either.   :o But i do love an FI bike.

If you notice on mine, the fuel valve is in plain sight. Buried under the tank will def make it a bit more easy to forget.   again, I have a manual valve and the stock vacuum petcocks, rebuilt, working together. even if i forget to turn off the manual valve, the vacuum petcock will hold it better than nothing.  also, having both tanks lined with caswell removes the rust possibility, which is usually what causes failures in the 1st place. . ;)

Offline Mort Canard

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 04:50:51 PM »
Thanks guys.  I will put in the overflow tubes and a new petcock.  Hopefully should solve the problem permanently.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »
You sir are quite talented. I looked at mine and thought I could do it too, but it needs some precise handy work.

overflow tubes: use 4mm brass tube (hobby stores sell them). I think i used a 3.75mm drill bit. drill out bottom of bowl from top in rigid drill press. chamfer hole slightly for lead in, i used green sleeving loctite. MY tubes are about 4-6mm over bowl line, some prefer 8 or 10mm. taller would be safer for sure, but ive had no issues.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 07:31:05 AM »
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 08:12:19 AM »
You sir are quite talented. I looked at mine and thought I could do it too, but it needs some precise handy work.
Thanks, i appreciate that.

you can always send them to Steve to do.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2021, 02:10:24 PM »
I did. Mine was done by Steve. I was looking at doing it myself b/c it looked simple enough but I realised I was not equipped and didn't want to end up busting the bottom off. I even bought a variety pack of copper tubing from a local hobby store.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2021, 02:16:25 PM »
You sir are also a talented man. I never knew you could epoxy it! Is it still holding after all these years?

Drain tube installation:
https://web.ncf.ca/ag136/floatDrainTubes.htm

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2021, 07:04:35 PM »
You sir are also a talented man. I never knew you could epoxy it! Is it still holding after all these years?
I sold it in 2019 and things were working fine then. The tubes were a light press fit and the epoxy was very thin, there to seal more than to provide strength.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)