Author Topic: Warped Rotors on a new bike!!!  (Read 8093 times)

Offline Scaffolder

Warped Rotors on a new bike!!!
« on: May 03, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »
I just threw 3,000 miles on my new 2011 C-14. The brakes started pulsating at about 1200-1400 miles. They became unbearable at 2500. I brought it to the dealer at 2800 miles and the dealer confirmed the warped rotors.

The manager mentioned a new service bulletin for the C-14s braking system. So when she looked it up it was only for law enforcement vehicles. Maybe they know something that we don't. So that didn't help matters any. The parts are ordered and will have it fixed when they come in.

My 2008 had warped rotors  at around 10,000 miles and were fixed under warranty at around 15,000 miles. Brake pads lasted 40,000 miles. My 2010 had warped rotors at around 30,000 miles and were fixed under warranty at around 38,000, but with a bit of a fight. Now my 2011 has warped rotors at under 1,500 miles. The mechanic said I might want to change the brake pads while they are doing the rotors. I told him this is a brand new bike and they can put them on under warranty too.  He didn't know it was that the bike was this new. Something is messed up with the braking system design. It is time for Kawasaki to figure out what they are doing wrong. I love everything about these bikes except the brakes.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Warped Rotors on a new bike!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
34,000 on my 10 and brakes and rotors are fine (knock, knock, knock...).

Offline pistole

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »
- fine here too.

- i turn the bobbins holding the discs every 2/3 weeks or so.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 05:52:45 PM »
- fine here too.

I am at 6500 on my 2011 and have no noticeable warpage.

- i turn the bobbins holding the discs every 2/3 weeks or so.

I have never touched those.  I also have not seen any recommendation about doing so in the manuals or on the forums...  Is this something other people are doing?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:03:26 PM »
I never had a warped rotor on any other bike. Seems strange.
Joel from Maine.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »
Have you noticed side to side uneven pad wear?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 06:25:30 PM »
16k on my 08 and so far so good, of course I run galfer pads if that makes a difference?

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 07:31:44 PM »
I didn't notice anything but the warping. During the first 3000 miles I plan on just doing gas and motor oil and gear oil.
Maybe Kawasaki should run Galfer pads.
When I was at the dealer I even had to look at the new Honda Streetglide. The side bags are so small. They don't even hold a full face helmet.

Joel from Maine.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »
Any clue on what's on the service bulletin?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 05:53:48 AM »
Is it possible that you've been coming to stops from high speeds and then holding the brakes on such as you might at a stop light on an incline? I'm wondering if it's possible that while the rest of the rotor cooled the area under the pads stayed relatively hot causing the rotor to cool unevenly and then warping?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »
Is it possible that you've been coming to stops from high speeds and then holding the brakes on such as you might at a stop light on an incline? I'm wondering if it's possible that while the rest of the rotor cooled the area under the pads stayed relatively hot causing the rotor to cool unevenly and then warping?

I, too, have always believed that the driver might have some factor in the warping situation.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 07:16:09 AM »

I, too, have always believed that the driver might have some factor in the warping situation.

If I have to stop in the situation as I described above I've always made it a habit, on the bike or in the cage, to make sure that I have a lil room between me and the car in front of me so that I can release the brakes and roll a bit so that the hot spots under the pads can cool like the rest of the rotors.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »
I did not get any info from her about the  service bulletin. I am hoping someone on this forum might have some insight.

I have always made it a habit of good braking distances and not slamming the binders on. And never hold the brake on after stopping.
Joel from Maine.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »
16k on my 08 and so far so good, of course I run galfer pads if that makes a difference?

I don't think so.  You'd have to ride outside of your subdivision in order to fully test those pads... :P
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 07:10:44 PM »

Say it ain't so, Max.  Say it ain't so!   Oh the humanity!  :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »

You ONLY got 16,000 miles on a 08 ??? you need to get off the puter and go for a RIDE
Oh yeah you live in OHIO ... is it STILL snowing ???
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Cuda

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »

I often just use the right middle finger ( yeah that one) on the front brake , maybe my XXL hands are the reason I only need one finger but warped rotors on the new bikes ? I thought that problem was resolve ? I try not to use the brakes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:34:09 AM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline liquiddeputy

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 08:43:29 PM »

Hi guys!  New guys here, just outside Detroit, MI--the Motor City.

I was a volunteer motor officer (motorcycle cop) for the 2007-2012 seasons, and it's standard practice for us to ride hours without ever putting a right foot down--you put your left foot down at lights, because the right is standing on your brake.  (You also are never in neutral while riding--ever--in case you need to get outta the way fast!)  Holding the brake leaves your lights on, and prevents rolling around. 

My point is,... I'm riding my '12 Kawi now like I rode my Harley, left-down at lights/right on brake, and after 400 miles on this new bike, I now have a rear brake squeak, and the pulsing other folks are describing while braking.  I also believe the brakes are very 'grabby' at a certain point after initially not providing much force at all, like they suddenly jump in force, but... that's another story.

Did they seriously do such a poor job picking discs for this bike that they're wearing out/warping this fast?  I mean, if you can warp a rotor just sitting at a light because 'that part of the rotor isn't cooling as fast,'... someone FAILED, miserably.

Anyway,... consider my '12 possibly afflicted too.  There's not much else to complain about, but that's certainly one thing.

PMC
2012, black; Vic Ray extended/dropped passenger pegs; MCLarry's risers; MC Enterprises full bars; Givi E55NT; SW MOTECH rack & hardware; Admore lighting; still need a pipe...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »

I was a volunteer motor officer (motorcycle cop) for the 2007-2012 seasons,

Did they seriously do such a poor job picking discs for this bike that they're wearing out/warping this fast?  I mean, if you can warp a rotor just sitting at a light because 'that part of the rotor isn't cooling as fast,'... someone FAILED, miserably.

Anyway,... consider my '12 possibly afflicted too.  There's not much else to complain about, but that's certainly one thing.

PMC

"volunteer motor officer"? As in you did this without being paid?

"Did they seriously do such a poor job picking discs for this bike that they're wearing out/warping this fast?  I mean, if you can warp a rotor just sitting at a light because 'that part of the rotor isn't cooling as fast,'... someone FAILED, miserably."

I was speculating, I don't know this for sure.

Welcome aboard PMC!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 07:03:35 AM »

I was a volunteer motor officer (motorcycle cop) for the 2007-2012 seasons, and it's standard practice for us to ride hours without ever putting a right foot down--you put your left foot down at lights, because the right is standing on your brake.  (You also are never in neutral while riding--ever--in case you need to get outta the way fast!)  Holding the brake leaves your lights on, and prevents rolling around. 

My point is,... I'm riding my '12 Kawi now like I rode my Harley, left-down at lights/right on brake, and after 400 miles on this new bike, I now have a rear brake squeak, and the pulsing other folks are describing while braking.  I also believe the brakes are very 'grabby' at a certain point after initially not providing much force at all, like they suddenly jump in force, but... that's another story.

PMC

I do the same foot thing as I was taught that in the MSF class that I took many years ago.  One of the few things that stuck.  Well, actually a lot of things stuck.  I don't use neutral either at stops and watch the mirrors continuously as I'm extremely paranoid and psychotic.  I also use both front and rear brakes when slowing.

The pulsing is from the front rotors.  First time I've heard of squeak from the rear.  I'd check for a mouse stuck in the mechanism.  I'm sure your maintenance is up to date but there's recall on the rear brake actuating lever.  Make sure that fix has been installed, though I don't think it has anything to do with the squeak.

We're hearing more reports on the 12's having rotor issues on the fronts.  I don't much care for this turn of events as I'd thought that Kwak Central had worked out the kinks in the rotors.  They've certainly had enough time to do so as it's been ongoing since 2007.  These rotors were also on the ZX-14.  They've had the same issues that we've had.

As to Kwak failing miserably in fixing this, you've certainly got my vote on that one.

Welcome to the forum!  We've got a thread stickied for the C14 Police bike conversion.  If you have the time, you may want to glance at it.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=95.0