Author Topic: Voyager motor ? 1200 cc  (Read 3016 times)

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
Voyager motor ? 1200 cc
« on: June 21, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »
Do they bolt in to the c10 frame?
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Voyager motor ? 1200 cc
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
Do they bolt in to the c10 frame?

NO.... No other motor but from the Ellie (ZL) is a direct bolt in; other motors such as the ZRX motor can be made to fit but not without a lot of work.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »
wanna give it a try? I'll give you an engine for fitup.Seriously, i looked at it, and passed... Steve

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:31:03 AM »
No thanks Steve, Carbs are all I want to fight.  :)
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »
Hey Steve, just a quick question about said 1200 engine. Was it ever installed in anything other than  a Voyager? Also, setting aside the obvious differences in valve cover height, what ultimately turned you away from tackling the project? It seems to me the most critical part would be connecting the driveshaft to the diff. using the Concours swing arm.  I'm guessing it would require splicing the lower and rear part of a Voyager with the upper tube and neck from a Concours. Anyone have a frame jig they want to lend me? (jk)
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »
Nah, all the driveshaft stuff would be easy, the connie and voyager almost have the same parts down there. The real issue to me is that the engine is very tall, and the power delivery is not as incredible as y'all seem to think. No, the natural swap is Dan's, the zrx1200 - steve

Offline Stasch

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:41:52 AM »
Maybe a better approach would be to get the heavy components off the 1200 such as the fairing with radio(s) and amplifier, bags and bag brackets, trunk and trunk brackets, all of which are quite heavy compared to the C10's equivalent features.

Then retro the Connie fairing (which surprisingly has better weather protection than the XII) and luggage system and a lightweight trunk and trunk rack if needed.  I always thought the XII looked great without the trunk on it.

It may be possible to get the XII (stated 735 lb +-) down to the C10 weight (stated 595 lb +-). 

This could make an interesting setup with the XII's smooth torquey I4, that usually gets better mileage than a C10 (both bikes compared in stock form). 

It would be more of a power cruiser / tourer rather than a sport tourer.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:25:19 PM »
Hey Stan, you're correct on that - I have a stripped down voyager here, and the rolling chassis w/ engine is actually pretty puny. Steve