Author Topic: Removing the Rear Wheel and Lubing the Splines  (Read 9723 times)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Re: Removing the Rear Wheel and Lubing the Splines
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »
Ok....
Just to clearify, did you also pull the coupler spline from the rear wheel and inspect it?
It is very important you do this, trust me.
These pics are from a rear wheel with only 70 k miles on it. It will leave you stranded if it lets go, trust me. This is just way to easy a check to miss. And looking at it on the wheel is not the correct way to inspect, it must be removed form the wheel, period.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline iMotoPilot

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 07:16:12 AM »
Pfloydgad,

Thx for the pix!  Really helps us noobies.  Can you tell me about lubing the drive shaft.  Is that lubricated by the gear oil?

Thx
Lucky has got me this far and tricky will get me in.   apc

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 03:29:35 PM »
No,i it is a seperate area of the internal pig gears.
I use a high temp Marine base grease, it is slightly red in color and doeas a great job. I have noticed that it stays in place much better then a lighter type of grease.
The wear of this part is normal, and designed to do so. It is much less expensive then replacing the gears in the pig.
Load it up and slip it on, just take your time and watch your knuckles.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 12:26:09 PM »
Hmm...lemme see....driver side...passenger side.....I get it, driver side=front, passenger side= the back!  :rotflmao:

Yes, some gear lube coming out the nose of the pig is normal. in fact, you can lose a lot of lube that way.

Wayne, yep, lube the splines on the wheel and the bevel drive and the sliding coupler and splines on the drive shaft and bevel input shaft.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!