Author Topic: Oil Filter Cap  (Read 7950 times)

Offline MichiGlenn

Oil Filter Cap
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »
Been riding for years, just moving up from a Honda CB750 to a 2001 Connie. 
Newbie question.  I changed the oil in an attempt to also diagnose where a leak was coming from.  Crush washers were missing on both drains-- probably diagnosed.  ANYWAY, the cap over the top of the stock filter that I see in every diagram of a C10 engine is nowhere to be seen on mine.  The filter assembly is very similar to the Honda's, which doesn't use a cap. 
I guess my question is what is the purpose of the cap, and what damage might have been done by the previous owner leaving it out?  I'm not re-assembling it until I have an answer, especially since it's cold and rainy here in MI.
2001 Concours
1977 Honda CB750K (sold)
1978 Honda CB750k (long gone)
1972 Honda CL175 (a fond memory)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Oil Filter Cap
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 07:30:03 PM »
Not going to cause any damage if not there....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »
Sorry I don't have a pic to post, if you have one it might make it easier to understand.  I think you are referring to what would be a black, flat, disc shaped cap that covers the OEM cartridge-type oil filter on the bottom of the engine - ?  You may not have one anymore.  IF you have a spin-on type oil filter, then that cover is eliminated. IF that is the case, then you are the beneficiary of the PO installing one of the best mods you can get for this bike, the SPOOFAK, which is short for the Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter Kit.  Designed and built by genius engineer and Connie-modder extraodinaire Dan Bergmen, sold by www.murphskits.com. You can find a pic of it on Murph's website.  Search this forum for "spin on oil filter adapter" and you'll find a lot of info.  There is a list somewhere of the filters that will work with it.

If you are talking about something else, or don't yet have a SPOOFAK, consider getting one.  You'll love it.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:31:04 PM »
If you are talking about something else, or don't yet have a SPOOFAK, consider getting one.  You'll love it.
Pretty sure MichiGlenn is referring to the metal "cup" that goes over the top of the filter cartridge.

I agree with T Cro.  Not going to be a problem if it is missing.

(I also agree with Nosmo about the SPOOFAK. - But I'll go a bit further and provide you with a direct link to the SPOOFAK.)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:44:08 PM »
Pretty sure MichiGlenn is referring to the metal "cup" that goes over the top of the filter cartridge.

I agree with T Cro.  Not going to be a problem if it is missing.

(I also agree with Nosmo about the SPOOFAK. - But I'll go a bit further and provide you with a direct link to the SPOOFAK.)

Yeah, you guys are probably right.  (It's been so long since I saw my stock filter set-up I don't recall what it looks like.)
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 05:38:42 AM »
If the cover over the oil filter doesn't really matter, why is it there to begin with?  What does it really do?  Anti-slosh?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 06:35:35 AM »
It cost Kawasaki money to add this to the bike so we have to assume that Kawasaki put it there for a purpose....

If you open the cross section view in the Shortcut that Outback_jon attached you can see the cover.  http://www.bergmenengineering.com/Docs/Cross-Section%20Comparision%20of%20Stock%20Oil%20Filter%20Assembly%20and%20Spin-On%20Oil%20Filter%20Adaptor%20Kit.pdf

Just guessing here, but,,, what I think it does is;
     1.  prevents oil from flowing "directly" onto the stock filter as it enters the Filter chamber.
             (May prevent wash-out of an old filter by preventing direct flow)
     2. redirects the oil around the stock filter so that it strikes the filter more uniformly.
             (Probably causes the filter to be more efficient)

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:40:45 AM »
Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?  (and what you said makes sense too).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Bergmen

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
Ted is correct. The sheet metal cover protects the paper filter media from the oil port that is coming directly from the pump. The media is not strong enough to withstand this concentrated force over time and it could begin to get torn apart.

I would not operate the engine without this in place, you would be risking a fragmented media with chunks floating around. That is bad ju ju no matter how you look at it.

Dan
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:37:30 PM by Bergmen »

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Bergman!

That said, if you need or want one MichiGlenn, check the Ron Ayers site (or parts place of your choice).  It looks to cost $5.33 plus shipping.  A local shop's total price might be cheaper.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »
Or,,, someone that has installed a SPOOFAK could probably send him one.
hint, hint!!!
Oh, and don't forget the washer/ring that goes on top of the spring...

Ride safe, Ted

Bergmen

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »
Further clarification:

Dan

Offline Leo

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »
I would get a new filter cup if it was my bike, even if I believed I didn't need it.   The washer that rides between the spring and the rubber grommet on the filter is often missing.  A 1/2 to 3/4 conduit adapter washer works perfect is easy to find locally and costs maybe 9 cents.  Good luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Summit670

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 07:44:10 AM »
The cup is $5.33 at RonAyers.com, plus shipping I suppose.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline MichiGlenn

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful replies. For short term I filled it without the cap, per T-cro's advice , but I plan to only run that oil for a few miles to make sure I start clean. I'll buy a cap before the next change. The Murph's option is tempting, but it looks like I need to save all I can for "affordable" health insurance.
2001 Concours
1977 Honda CB750K (sold)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 05:23:39 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful replies. For short term I filled it without the cap, per T-cro's advice , but I plan to only run that oil for a few miles to make sure I start clean. I'll buy a cap before the next change. The Murph's option is tempting, but it looks like I need to save all I can for "affordable" health insurance.

What part of MI are you in? When I get home in a few days if I can find my old cap it's yours for the cost of postage....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »
Not to hijack but you must have gotten "The Letter".

Offline MichiGlenn

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »
What part of MI are you in? When I get home in a few days if I can find my old cap it's yours for the cost of postage....

That would be fantastic!  I might even be able to meet up with you near St. Joe.  Driving to Green Bay Friday for the weekend.
2001 Concours
1977 Honda CB750K (sold)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
That would be fantastic!  I might even be able to meet up with you near St. Joe.  Driving to Green Bay Friday for the weekend.

Ha we can do that.... If your driving to G. B. you will be driving right by me unless you go up and over; I only lives a couple easy miles off 94...

I'll be getting home sometime wed; sitting in G. B. right now....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »
Not to hijack but you must have gotten "The Letter".
Let's try to keep this thread where it will be useful to others. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157